Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 PM

20 posts, read 51,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
Or somebody from California thinking about moving to Seattle that have preconeived notions and ******* about those.
I'm moving my family from SoCal in June, I have no preconceived notions and look forward to having seasons compared to Cali. Seattle and the outlying areas are beautiful. Once I've relocated to Laurelhurst, I'll be sure to report how it's going on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 PM

21 posts, read 76,485 times
?How good is public transportation? Can you get around without owning a car?

Public transportation is very good...

"Cue someone explaining how you can take three buses and a train for a three hours to get to a national park." --Stuckinseattle (thank you!)

...but I think you will want a car.

?Is it flat enough so you can ride your bike easily?

Seattle has some highly vertical hills but is bike-able. Schedule your ride around commute times and it's fun.

?How are jobs up there?

Unemployment was officially 9.7% last I checked. Seattle people will tell you they are immune, but the NW is not escaping the larger economic stuff. Be flexible and enterprising and you will do fine.

?Is there a lot to do that is either very cheap or free?

The views are free and nice. You can ride your bike around for cheap. Free parks. A bit spendy if you want some culture though.

?What are the majority of people like? Are they friendly?

NW people are good people on the inside but don't expect anything like southern hospitality. So, I would say "not friendly" but I mean that in a very specific way. Think of the stereotype of Scandinavians. Also it seems to me that Seattle has high nerd content. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

?Are there a lot of parks (by park I mean it has to have swings or trails or something to do, basically not just a patch of grass and trees with a sign.)

Awesome parks everywhere. Watch out for naked people in the hedges though. They become gruff if you point at them. Seriously, go to Discovery Park on a weekday afternoon.

The only things I don't like about Seattle are the perpetual cloud cover and that it seems to me like the whole city closes up pronto at 7 pm. Watch Map of Seattle: Lost in Seattle as the day progresses.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM

38 posts, read 99,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennx View Post
I'm moving my family from SoCal in June, I have no preconceived notions and look forward to having seasons compared to Cali. Seattle and the outlying areas are beautiful. Once I've relocated to Laurelhurst, I'll be sure to report how it's going on this forum.

Uh oh... I hate to say it but you will not get "Seasons" here. This is coming form someone who was born in California, raised in the midwest and has experienced seasons there. Don't expect seasons. Expect rain. now rain here is more like a mist, which is why people are often wrong when saying "It rains more in New York than Seattle actually!" NO. incorrect. Yes, they get more volume, but more volume in short amounts of time. I would rather get a few rainstorms every now and again than the constant drizzle October through-...well Its may 13th and its in the 50s and STILL raining. Prepare your family from So Cal. you may not mind it at first because you're wrapped up in the excitement of being in a new place, (trust me.. I moved to Seattle from Florida) but for many transplants, after the 3rd year, you want to slit your wrists. Its very hard, hopeless and trapping-so plan at least 3 trips back home from Nov- May while living in seattle. That's my advice. Good Luck! Laurelhurst is nice, so that will help your attitude!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:17 PM

129 posts, read 494,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf13 View Post
I'm planning to move to the Seattle area within the next year. I currently live in Ft. Lauderdale FL. I just moved down here in December from Asheville, NC. I've done a lot of research and I think I'm going to love it there. From what I understand the city and the country are fairly close together. It's cloudy and rains a lot. And its usually pretty cold. It is also has a lower crime rate than Ft. Lauderdale. I have a few things that I'm still wondering about to help me decide how much I should have in my pocket before I go up there.

How good is public transportation? Can you get around without owning a car?
Is it flat enough so you can ride your bike easily?
How are jobs up there?
Is there a lot to do that is either very cheap or free?
What are the majority of people like? Are they friendly?
Are there any schools with good financial aid? (I can't get FAFSA).
Are there a lot of parks (by park I mean it has to have swings or trails or something to do, basically not just a patch of grass and trees with a sign.)
It doesn't rain as it used to years ago. I remember back in the day, it used to rain almost every day(exaggeration but that's what it felt like). It's not like that anymore. Also, it's not COLD cold. It's just mildly cold.

Public transportation: depends where you want to go. It's not great, but it's doable. I think it's a MUCH better idea if you have a car. It's not easy to not drive at all in Seattle. I used to drive most of the time, except if I was going to downtown Seattle (because I'm not very good at driving there).

There are events in Seattle that are free or cheap. It's not really my scene though so I can't tell you much about it. A big complaint that I hear from young people a lot is that there's nothing to do in Seattle for fun. I agree, but I think Seattle is a great place to raise a family though.

People - It depends on which part obviously. Generally speaking though: (in my opinion at least): VERY polite, people here have this sense of not liking superficialness. It's like they all agree to "not care about that kind of stuff". People care less about their appearances here. People try really hard to be open, free-thinking, original.

Yes there are lots of parks.

I'm just curious but, why do you plan to move if you just moved recently? The reason I ask is because I'm in a similar situation.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 AM

20 posts, read 51,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Uh oh... I hate to say it but you will not get "Seasons" here. This is coming form someone who was born in California, raised in the midwest and has experienced seasons there. Don't expect seasons. Expect rain. now rain here is more like a mist, which is why people are often wrong when saying "It rains more in New York than Seattle actually!" NO. incorrect. Yes, they get more volume, but more volume in short amounts of time. I would rather get a few rainstorms every now and again than the constant drizzle October through-...well Its may 13th and its in the 50s and STILL raining. Prepare your family from So Cal. you may not mind it at first because you're wrapped up in the excitement of being in a new place, (trust me.. I moved to Seattle from Florida) but for many transplants, after the 3rd year, you want to slit your wrists. Its very hard, hopeless and trapping-so plan at least 3 trips back home from Nov- May while living in seattle. That's my advice. Good Luck! Laurelhurst is nice, so that will help your attitude!

If definitely has more changes in season than CA. I work from home, the wife stays home... no commute in sucky weather... that'll help. We'll give it an honest try as we rent our current home and rent in Laurelhurst.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:16 PM

46 posts, read 129,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
I would rather get a few rainstorms every now and again than the constant drizzle October through-...well Its may 13th and its in the 50s and STILL raining. Prepare your family from So Cal. you may not mind it at first because you're wrapped up in the excitement of being in a new place, (trust me.. I moved to Seattle from Florida) but for many transplants, after the 3rd year, you want to slit your wrists. Its very hard, hopeless and trapping-so plan at least 3 trips back home from Nov- May while living in seattle.
I moved to Seattle in early May '96, so the weather was starting to get sunny. Then the summer was short, but beautiful. Come October, it had been raining for three weeks and I asked someone when the rain would end. The other person looked at me seriously and said, "May." Since my initial impressions of Seattle had involved pleasant summer weather, I didn't fully realize how foul the weather is here until about two years into living here.

Interestingly enough, I read somewhere that the month with the highest suicide rate in Seattle is April. This makes total sense to me. By April you've been enduring the rain for eight months, and you assume it should have stopped by now since it's technically spring, yet the cold rain drizzles on. Kurt Cobain killed himself in April. I remember one winter, I kept telling myself to hold out until Easter. Being from the midwest, I associated Easter with the beginning of pleasant weather. When it poured on Easter, I was very, very depressed.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
I left work early on Wednesday soaked to the bone, cold, and miserable.

It was the middle of May and at 4 in the afternoon the temperature was 44 degrees and it was pouring down rain.

In November it was 44 and raining. In January it was 44 and raining. In March, April, and May it continued to be 44 and raining.

It's like living in a bad sci-fi story.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf13 View Post
...how much I should have in my pocket before I go up there?
How good is public transportation? Can you get around without owning a car?
Is it flat enough so you can ride your bike easily?
How are jobs up there?
Is there a lot to do that is either very cheap or free?
What are the majority of people like? Are they friendly?
Are there any schools with good financial aid? (I can't get FAFSA).
Are there a lot of parks (by park I mean it has to have swings or trails or something to do, basically not just a patch of grass and trees with a sign.)
- at least three months of Seattle's cost of living. Use online tools to calculate this for your lifestyle.
- yes, and the bike trails are great, but the traffic sucks, and people are not in a generous mood on the roads, so use the trails and bike paths.
- job opps depend on your skills and experience levels. It's a tight market, but there is a market.
- at face value, people are friendly. It took ten years for me to realize that there is a level of patronization behind the smiles, but I am perpetually naive that way.
- I paid my way through school, with employer benefits, so I don't know.
- there are no limits on the recreational opps in the area, bring ALL your toys, and be prepared to want more.

In so many ways, its the best, but it isn't all wine and roses.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,114 times
Weather is one of my favorite things about Seattle. Never too hot or cold and the drizzle is like a magical mist. Paradise, thy name is Seattle

Old 07-13-2009, 06:10 PM

84 posts, read 243,785 times
You can easily augment your lack of a car by signing up for zipcar, a car sharing service. Just grab a car when you need it, use it for a couple hours, or for a couple days. You don't need to buy insurance, or gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area