Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:15 PM

26 posts, read 173,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I believe that SPD employees are still given free bus passes. If hubby is a LEO, then all he has to do is show his badge to the driver. Metro drivers love having police officers on the bus even though they aren't on duty in an official capacity.
--'rocco
Hubby checked on that today and you are correct. Sounds good to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
We are a small family who wants to live there but we felt discouraged by many on here to move there, now I am reading that 75k? is possible for a small family? We are not materialistic but we do want to live in a low crime, good school area, what is possible for 200 grand? Maybe a townhome? No? I appreciate some honest answers! Thanks!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:04 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Okay, I'm going to repost in this thread ...more appropriate:

Okay, sorry bluray but I'm going to hijack this thread for this post since we now have two posters who seem to want to see what I've written about.

I'm going to go ahead and paste in here the first in the series of my PMs to Jeannete.

This is not a hypothetical situation. This is an actual family which I'm personal friends with; and the scenario is either what I've observed or what they've told me:

I'm thinking of three families right now and there may be a few more that I don't know quite as well but perhaps I can give you a cursory description of even their spending habits. What I'll do is give you one at a time as I can't get a big block of time to write all at once.

Family #1:

A family of 5. Dad and mom in their late 30s. Three kids, approximate ages: 10, 14, 16. Mom essentially stays at home but does freelance writing and a few odds-n-ends jobs here and there. Dad works for PSE and makes approximately $65-70k. They live in the Kingsgate area of Kirkland. Kingsgate is a bit less expensive in terms of housing than the rest of Kirkland. He commutes to Bellevue by car. He does try to take the bus every once in awhile but has to transfer so it makes it a rather long commute.

They just bought a house after renting for many years in the same neighborhood. The house is a tri-level of approximately 1,900 sq. ft. ...4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. I think he told me they actually paid $435k and it was originally listed for $465k. The listing price dropped once to $445 and they made an offer for $430 eventually settling on $435. I don't know what their monthly mortgage payments are but I'm assuming in the $2,500/mo. range. Their rent prior to this was, I think they said, $1,900/mo.

They have 3 cars. All Toyotas. An older model Camry sedan. A three year old Prius, and an almost 20 year old beat up pick-up. He told me that they he's a diehard Toyota fan because they are so reliable and cost so little to keep up. That shows you how budget concious he is.
I really don't consider them overly frugal but they do watch very carefully what they spend their money on. She's an awfully cost concious grocery shopper ...watching weekly specials and clipping coupons, etc. They spend a good amount on groceries because of teenagers living in the house.

He tells me that they aren't in debt with the exception of their mortgage payment. He also tells me they use credit cards but pay them off monthly so no interest accrues.

They usually spend their family vaction time camping in the Cascades. It's a pretty inexpensive way to spend a week or two. They eat out at a nice restaurant maybe every month otherwise it's home prepared meals. Not many fast food nights.

Summary: I think the bottom line is that, again, they don't live high-on-the-hog. Older, low maintenance cars, cost-concious home prepared meals, no debt and wise use of credit, low-budget family vactions, watching their entertainment budget, all add up to being able to get by just fine according to them.

I don't know your style of living. I know a lot of couples in their 20s with kids who expect that they should have all the luxuries in life without really having to work for them or to "pay their dues" so to speak. If you don't fall into that category, then you'll do fine in the Seattle area. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than a lot of places but not overly so. With the real estate market poised for a correction, you might even pick up a nice house once you've rented awhile. That way you can see, not only where you want to live, but how your budget withstands your style of life in the area. Many, many, many, many (literally thousands and thousands of) families are making it on far less than a 6-figure income. You'll do fine.

More examples later.

--'rocco

True, perhaps they're not telling me everything or they may have given me incorrect information or I may have misinterpreted what they've told me but I have no reason not to believe them or what I've observed of their style of living. I've been friends with them (him) for at least 20 years.

--'rocco

Old 04-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Is portland safer than seattle in earthquake/volcano risks? Is the risk really that bad? Thanks!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 PM

This is only my opinion. I'm not a scientist nor an expert at geology or seismology.

I think Portland is safer in terms of expecting a devastating earthquake.

Volcano risk? Again, I'd probably say Portland is a bit safer but that's only an opinion. Both cities have volcanos within "striking distance" but I'm thinking Seattle has the greater risk?

A lot has been said about Mt. Rainer someday becoming active and if so, can definitely threaten Seattle. Portland has Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams close by. Also, if further activity happens with St. Helens, Portland is probably more at risk. But can you imagine Mt. Rainier blowing its top? Man, I don't really want to be around when that happens. As magrack has said before in another thread, it's not worth worrying about either way.

I'd really like to hear from somebody who's more of an expert on this as to the risk both cities have pertaining to these occurrences.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-05-2007 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-05-2007, 09:53 PM

PaNative-- you asked a good question on another thread. I'm now wondering that myself as to how my friends were able to buy that house that they did. Obviously that's none of my business on how they were able to get enough down payment to pull it off and I'd be rude to ask. I do know they did quite well in the stock market through the years. I know they are "savers" but how could they save enough for a down payment on a house is not quite clear to me.

--'rocco

Old 04-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks, I was thinking maybe Portland might be more affordable as well, but I would like to hear more bout Mt, Rainer myself first here! It could be a family inheritance? Anyhow, thanks again, think I will cross out Seattle, but I will be visting soon, hopefully! Portland is not too far from Seattle!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:17 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,441 times
'rocco, I'm not an expert on volcanos either, but most predictions on lava flows/lahars from Mt Rainier put Seattle at a pretty low risk.

The predictions show Orting, Puyallup (Puyallup Valley), through the Tacoma tideflats and the Carbon River basin as being specifically at risk. No real mention of Seattle, IIRC.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
'rocco, I'm not an expert on volcanos either, but most predictions on lava flows/lahars from Mt Rainier put Seattle at a pretty low risk.

The predictions show Orting, Puyallup (Puyallup Valley), through the Tacoma tideflats and the Carbon River basin as being specifically at risk. No real mention of Seattle, IIRC.
That does sound right, magrack, now that you mention it.

It'll still be spectacular sight to watch Rainier blow it's top from Seattle. It does sound scary though, even watching it from Seattle.

--'rocco

Old 04-05-2007, 10:43 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
That does sound right, magrack, now that you mention it.

It'll still be spectacular sight to watch Rainier blow it's top from Seattle. It does sound scary though, even watching it from Seattle.

--'rocco
Where were you when Mt St Helens blew?

I was asleep, but it woke me up. I got up and could see the ash plume from my bedroom window.

Something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area