Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM

53 posts, read 194,967 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My name is Metin from Turkiye. I am studying Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation at 9 Eylul University in Turkey. Also i studied economics at the same university.
I am going to Seattle for the Summer, via work and travel program and i am looking for jobs. I have all the papers, visas and everything, so I'm all legal and above board. I will be in US between 23 june - 8 september. I will be staying with
my friend in East Buckley, Seattle. I want to experience some American culture and life there.
I am willing to work at basically anything. But mostly i would like to work for Starbucks(i always sympathy after watching the movie I am Sam) or for Kodak(photographer job in amusement parks..it seems fun)
Does anybody have any info on where to start? I have some experiment in Turkey..like working in McDonalds and selling things to tourists in summer places. and i also gave math lessons to middle school students.
I am in Turkey now. I guess these companies would prefer to get applies in person. May i be able to get offers online or i have to apply in person. Applying these kind of summer jobs in person after 20 June, is too late??
Hope to get replies soon..
Thanks
Metin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 PM

854 posts, read 4,131,861 times
Hi Metin,

I'm not familiar with "East Buckley" -- I looked it up and found Buckley, WA, South of Seattle and east of Puyallup. Is that correct? (If it's an area of Seattle I don't know about, then someone will correct me).

If it is, then if you have or can borrow a car, you will probably be able to find work in Buckley, Enumclaw, or Puyallup, I think. But, you have a very short timeframe (summer), and it's a maybe/maybe not sort of thing. Because the economy is so bad, there are more people competing for small jobs, even at Starbucks. You will have to arrive and put your application in at just the right time -- just as they need to hire a new person -- and hope that some position is available soon. There are lots and lots of Starbucks, and I often see signs that they are hiring, so if you have transportation and you can work at any time of the day, then you can might find something. It will be best to put your applications in in person -- you can ask for an application and ask for the manager on duty, give them the application, and explain to them that you are here until September on your work and travel program and want to work with people in Washington. They will probably be happy to hear this, except for the "until September" part.

The hard thing is that you will be competing with college students on their summer break here, too. And by June 20 they will already probably have their jobs. So, my advice would be to take a few days in all the areas that you can easily get to for work, and apply everywhere that you would be willing to work. You will need a phone number where they can reach you right away -- when a manager needs to hire someone, they sit down with all of the applications and select the ones that look good and start making phone calls. You want to answer the phone immediately and be able to come back and meet them again right away.

Your friend might be able to help by talking to people locally about who might be hiring for summer jobs. Then, when you are here, you can follow up in person.

Here is an application for Starbucks: http://media.starbucks.com.edgesuite...pplication.pdf -- you'll want to print it, fill it out (leave salary blank), make lots of good-quality copies, and take them to all the Starbucks that you would be able to get to for work.

If you ARE planning to drive here, please keep in mind that driving here is nothing like driving in Turkey. Ack!!! You will have a lot to learn to do differently here if you do drive! My experiences in cabs in Istanbul were terrifying for the first few days.

It is beautiful country here -- you will be near to Mt Rainier and I hope you get some time to drive into places like Sunrise and Paradise during the week (weekends are VERY crowded in Paradise, but still worth the trip). You will find the ferry system is similar to Turkey, but the weather is cooler, especially on the water.

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful summer here!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:47 PM

53 posts, read 194,967 times
oww...thank you very very much...i hope i can see such helpful people there much..
i will try everyway to find a suştable job there for me.. because i have to take care of myself..

i dont know exactly where east buckley is but i know the postal code 98321 or something like that.. as i know it is a little far from the downtown.. i may have to drive.. pr i will need to find somewhere to stay which is close to city center..

and i hope you enjoyed your life in istanbul / Turkey.. it is one of the most beautiful cities

Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 34,137 times
If you are persistent you shall find something. Buckley is not exactly close to Seattle, but there are lots of places for summer work all over. If you do have a car it will be much easier for you, but it is possible with no car. It is competitive right now, especially the economy, but if you remain persistent you can find something! Hope you like it here in the NW, the summers are fun fun fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area