U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:26 PM

999 posts, read 1,829,971 times

Advertisements

I live in the Washington, DC area. We have had SEVEN straight overcast days. SEVEN! I can't take this crap! It has rained for the past six days straight. Every morning that I hope for sunshine, I get clouds instead and darkness instead. The local weather guys are predicting overcast/rainy days until next Sunday. Are you kidding me? This means that we will have 12 consecutive days of clouds and wetness with a barely a ray of sunlight.

Not only that...our average high temperature has been in the 50s for the past week. Way too chilly for this time of year. You really have to bundle up in thick jackets during the evenings. I think we are colder than any city in the Pacific NW region right now.

This is extremely unusual weather for the Mid-Atlantic region of the country. We usually get 5 sunny days for every 2 overcast/wet days during any given week.

Needless to say, I have always dreamed of relocating to Seattle. But if I am already going stir-crazy with no sunshine for 7 straight days, how am I going to hack it in Seattle????

btw...The Seattle Freeze has come to Washington, DC too. After seven straight days of cold, clouds and rain, I noticed that the locals are more reserved and melancholy looking. I haven't seen much laughter or smiles from people on the street because of the weather.

I have new respect for you Seattle people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:03 PM

202 posts, read 946,072 times
OMG it's the same here in NJ/NYC area! We had Rainy & Cool weather since Friday (Although Saturday afternoon was sunny but rainy in the morning and evening) and it's still rainy until Saturday! So it would be 9 damp and rainy weather with almost no sunshine at all!
I've been praying to God and hoping for sunnier and better weather, but it has only been raining this week and last weekend, but the sunshine will return this weekend finally!!

I can't deal with this weather, it has been below normal for this time of the year! Normally we have 5 sunny days in a week year-round..

How could you people in Pacific Northwest deal with damp, rainy and cool weather for more than a half year?! You got to be kidding!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,582,315 times
I see mountains every day (when I'm not in Iraq). That helps. And a rugged coast, with the furious forces of nature crashing down upon the sand like the hand of an angry Norse god. We live in an area where ~50 percent of folks have been to college. Our crimes are mostly petty and insignificant. Our weather is quite mild in the winter, and very mild in the summer. There are no cockroaches. I've yet to see one. Contrast that to Atlanta, where they once toted off my fridge...and I had to chase them down the street, with torch and flaming can of hair spray in hand.

We have festivals. Festivals of such magnitude and with such good will among men, it's as if Buddha, Christ and Vishnu got together and said, "Party time." We have an amazingly diverse population, where it is not uncommon to hear 4 different languages in 10 minutes, while buying your whole wheat tacos at the local store. Our local government makes room for parks and public services in the budget. They promote a "green" lifestyle. While I don't subscribe, (I'm sorry, I'd be lying if I said I did.) I do admire their tenacity in trying to save the planet, one plastic bag at a time.

Seattle people aren't chatty. Because they don't need to be chatty. The ones who normally ARE chatty are the ones who moved here, and hate it here, because it's not "home." No one can make a place your home. You make your place home. This is our home, and we like it here. That's really all we have to say about it. It doesn't require furthur discussion or representation. Some things are just like that. Like my love for my wife. Is she perfect? Heck no, and neither am I. But we've made our decision, and come hell, high water, or 300+ days of mizzle, we love each other and would die for each other.

I'd die for you Seattle! Do you hear that! I'd DIE FOR YOU! (Puts cassette in boom box,)

http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Patr/July05.gif (broken link)

If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life, And I had to start again with just my children and my wife, I'd thank my lucky stars to be living here today, 'Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away.

I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me, And I gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today, 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the U.S.A.

http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Patr/July05.gif (broken link)

From the lakes of Minnesota to the hills of Tennessee, Across the plains of Texas from sea to shining sea. From Detroit down to Houston and New York to L.A., There's pride in every American heart and it's time we stand and say:

I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me, And I gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today, 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God Bless the U.S.A.

http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Patr/Firemen.jpg (broken link)

The above photo was taken at the scene of the World Trade Center disaster on 9/11/01 by
Thomas E. Franklin

Last edited by 70Ford; 05-05-2009 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 07:31 PM

13 posts, read 31,967 times
@70FORD
Thank you, my sentiments exactly!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,088,396 times
There are no cockroaches. I've yet to see one.

Well, except for the two legged variety. They're everywhere, including Seattle. Some of them are even elected officials, or attorneys, or collection agents, or real estate agents, or car salesmen.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,058,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

I'd die for you Seattle! Do you hear that! I'd DIE FOR YOU!
Once upon a time I was a Manhattanite, a Tokyoite, an Arizonan, an Oregonian, a Montanan, and more that mattered less than those.

And then I chose to become a Washingtonian, a Seattlite, a Puget Soundie. I thank my Guides, my karma, the lifepath I set for myself, that I came to live here. Everything I've lived, and everything I've become, were leading me here, to become better imbued with the sweet, verdant, uplifting energies of this place.

I love how creative everything is here, from daily weather to people's ideas. It's not just the plants that are fecund here but also people's minds.

I love seeing mountains and forests and lakes, rivers and ocean if I just turn my head or aim my car.

I love that the bears are there, just beyond my sight. And the mountain lions, as we called them in Montana. And the elk. Bald Eagles are everywhere if I think to them and look for them. Herons the size of small planes. Green jays with crests! Quail with crests! Hawks and kestrels and owls everywhere there are trees! And the squads who own everything, squads of chickadees, crows and juncos.

I love that people are relaxed here, not confrontrational, not automatically suspicious and antagonistic, and smart and literate. I love the gentleness of the climate and the gentleness of the people. And the gentleness of the drizzle

Thanks, 70Ford, for inspiring me again.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,486,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
I live in the Washington, DC area. We have had SEVEN straight overcast days. SEVEN! I can't take this crap! It has rained for the past six days straight. Every morning that I hope for sunshine, I get clouds instead and darkness instead. The local weather guys are predicting overcast/rainy days until next Sunday. Are you kidding me? This means that we will have 12 consecutive days of clouds and wetness with a barely a ray of sunlight.

Not only that...our average high temperature has been in the 50s for the past week. Way too chilly for this time of year. You really have to bundle up in thick jackets during the evenings. I think we are colder than any city in the Pacific NW region right now.

This is extremely unusual weather for the Mid-Atlantic region of the country. We usually get 5 sunny days for every 2 overcast/wet days during any given week.

Needless to say, I have always dreamed of relocating to Seattle. But if I am already going stir-crazy with no sunshine for 7 straight days, how am I going to hack it in Seattle????

btw...The Seattle Freeze has come to Washington, DC too. After seven straight days of cold, clouds and rain, I noticed that the locals are more reserved and melancholy looking. I haven't seen much laughter or smiles from people on the street because of the weather.

I was just thinking how much I liked this overcast/rain/drizzle weather for days (the sun is out now btw). It isn't cold and it isn't warm. Everything is springing forth and it is verdant green. I'm loving it. Much better than last week's untimely summer incursion. Maybe I'll do fine in the Pac NW after all. If only we had real mountains on this side ...

Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 AM

5,385 posts, read 11,286,345 times
Seattle sucks.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM

265 posts, read 1,000,854 times
Hey, if you think you'd can't take it here, DON'T MOVE HERE. I moved here precisely BECAUSE I was attracted to the weather, and I could not be happier. No sunshine, coolness, and drizzle = NO FLYING INSECTS. And no flying insects, especially the stinging variety makes me a VERY happy camper. (Well, I shouldn't says NO I should say 1/20th the amount on the East Coast and then only when its sunny).

Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 PM

696 posts, read 1,559,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

Yikes! We are moving to the DC area at the end of June and I can promise that I will do my best to NOT bring the Seattle weather with me. I've lived here for 32 years and am actually ready for the humid summer! Bring it on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area