Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 PM

14 posts, read 43,404 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! It's my first post in this forum =)
I have just landed a job in downtown Seattle (very close to Nordstrom and Pacific Place). Since I have only been to Seattle once (when I went to the office for interview), my understanding of Seattle is still very limited.

Given that I am just a college grad, if I would like to rent an apartment in Seattle, which part of the city should I look at ? I expect to pay no more than $1200 per month for the rent.

Also, how is the public transportation system in Seattle ? I have heard that one who works in downtown area and lives in suburban does not really need a car to travel to and from his/her home and office. Is it true ?

By the way, I know that there is no State Income Tax in the Washington State (which is good =p ). Can someone please tell me the cost of living for other areas, such as gasoline, food etc ?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM

75 posts, read 343,426 times
Alot of young professionals that work downtown live in an area called Belltown and Ballard. Belltown is an area you could walk to work. A friend of mione has an apartment over looking the sound and its 1500/mo. In fact, some of my hubbies co-workers walk to work from the condos or apartments in Belltown. His office is on 5th and Pike a block from the area you mentioned. Public Transportation is fairly good in the city.

Does your new employer offer a free bus pass? If you can avoid driving to work. My husband pays $275 a month to park downtown. Unfortunately he goes to clients all the time so he needs his car.

State income tax? Well, it we make up for it in other ways. We have high property (since we have higher home values) and sales taxes. Obviously the property taxes won't affect you if you're renting. Food isn't chaep and downtown there are a few options that are pricey. Gas is cheaper the So Cal, but not by much.

My general rule of thumb is whatever you've budgeted for Seattle add 10%.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 PM

5,595 posts, read 18,990,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluray View Post
Hello everyone! It's my first post in this forum =)
I have just landed a job in downtown Seattle (very close to Nordstrom and Pacific Place). Since I have only been to Seattle once (when I went to the office for interview), my understanding of Seattle is still very limited.

Given that I am just a college grad, if I would like to rent an apartment in Seattle, which part of the city should I look at ? I expect to pay no more than $1200 per month for the rent.

Also, how is the public transportation system in Seattle ? I have heard that one who works in downtown area and lives in suburban does not really need a car to travel to and from his/her home and office. Is it true ?

By the way, I know that there is no State Income Tax in the Washington State (which is good =p ). Can someone please tell me the cost of living for other areas, such as gasoline, food etc ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

hi bluray,

True.

I've described the transit system in quite a few threads. Now I can't remember which ones. Seattle has an excellent bus system. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

--'rocco

Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,423,924 times
Smile 22...

Hello I was on here a few weeks ago and was discouraged to move here cause of our income of 75 grand a year, I do not work (SAHM) was too little to live on in this state but I had noticed you said to someone on another thread that you knew someone who made this amount and was a large family of 5? So, I am wondering if we should reconsider here, we are not very materialistic, but we do want to live in a low crime, good school district, thats all we ask! We woulld prefer to buy, if we can, but we can also rent too, maybe till the prices come down to bout 200 grand for a townhome maybe? I look forward to your input! We would love to live there but got a bit discouraged by a few comments made on here...We also use thrift stores and do not splurge on things all that much, and we are into saving for our retirement and college. THanks!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Hello I was on here a few weeks ago and was discouraged to move here cause of our income of 75 grand a year, I do not work (SAHM) was too little to live on in this state but I had noticed you said to someone on another thread that you knew someone who made this amount and was a large family of 5? So, I am wondering if we should reconsider here, we are not very materialistic, but we do want to live in a low crime, good school district, thats all we ask! We woulld prefer to buy, if we can, but we can also rent too, maybe till the prices come down to bout 200 grand for a townhome maybe? I look forward to your input! We would love to live there but got a bit discouraged by a few comments made on here...We also use thrift stores and do not splurge on things all that much, and we are into saving for our retirement and college. THanks!
Hi PaNative. I'll try to PM you the same things I'm PMing to Jeannete. I'm doing it in sections so have patience with me.

Essentially, as I told her, you can do it if you're not living "high on the hog." A lot of young families want a lot of "things" because they're trying to keep up with their friends and neighbors. If you are relatively frugal, it's perfectly reasonable to live in the Seattle area on less than a six figure income, IMO.

--'rocco

Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,019,005 times
A family of 5? On $75k?? In a good school district, and purchasing a townhome @ $200k?

Rocco... really??

Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 PM

No we are not a big family and we just want a safe school, not the worst anyhow, something decent. We have two cars, paid for, and we shop at thrift stores for the most part, we do save some and that is our biggest chunk of missing money but it will set us well for retirement and college in the future here. I appreicate your help! THanks so much!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Please see this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ke-110k-3.html

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-05-2007 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Wow, that sounds encouraging, however we could never afford to spend 400 on a home, we can only spend 200 tops cause we are saving for retirement and college. We have no bills, cause we do not make them, we have two cars that are paid for and like your friends, we do things that are relatively cheap and affordable, and we eat out a few times a month, but its always reasonsable family type places. I plan on working partime down the road when i can find a family friendly job that allows me to also be a sahm or else we can just manage as we have been, we are doing fine so far, but we really want to experience the NW area, alot! However we realize that 200,000 for a home or 1300-1400 a month for rent might be stretching it some, all we want is something decent, maybe 1200 sq feet, a safe area, a decent school, all what most want or need in life...thanks for your post!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:03 AM

14 posts, read 43,404 times
Default reply

Thank you very much for the replies!
wow! then it seems to me that the rent in Seattle is quite the same as where I am living now - Boston ...

by the way, could you guys suggest me some websites or agencies that I can
use to find an apartment ?

also, I have done some research on cost of living ... the result that I got is that if I make $50,000 in cities like Boston or NYC, I only need to make around $43,000-$45,000. Do you guys think it is accurate ? So does that mean companies in Seattle usually pay less ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area