Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times

Advertisements

LookinForMayberry: There are plenty of products that are not expensive at Whole Foods, and usually the prices for most things is definitely worth the price for the quality.

It doesnt cater to people that like spend more. It caters to people that like to find high quality food products, nutrition products, and hygeine products in a nice atmosphere with great seating. And someone doesnt have to spend a lot to buy things there.

Whole Foods also offers a great selection of organic foods, as well being able to be price sensitive like PCC. I dont really notice PCC being less expensive than Whole Foods. Actually, some things seems slightly more expensive there.

I do also like PCC though, especially the PCC in Fremont.

Do you know if there are other PCC's in the Seattle area that is like the Fremont one with the indoor or outdoor seating and variety in products?

I went to the one in West Seattle and was kind of dissapointed by the PCC there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 06:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Do you know if there are other PCC's in the Seattle area that is like the Fremont one with the indoor or outdoor seating and variety in products? I went to the one in West Seattle and was kind of dissapointed by the PCC there.
Yes, I've shopped them all, and there are neighborhood differences, but overall I like PCC better than Whole Foods, for the reasons I've already answered.

However, your post did remind me of another food market in Seattle that I started with in my first ten years in town: Queen Anne's Thriftway. I loved that store in the '90s, but have no idea how it is, now.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:16 AM

99 posts, read 609,774 times
You have to do a combination of stores to get the overall best prices, but then you're using gas (unless you're on the bus) so you need to plan things out to save money.

Best bets have been said before: Safeway, Trader joe's, and QFC IF they're having a good sale, otherwise QFC can be expensive. However, I do tend to drive to the Super Walmart in marysville and Federal Way once a month and stock up, but alot of people hate Walmart... I can't afford to =[

PCC Greenlake is 5 blocks down the street from me and their prices make me aware of what everyone else will be charging in 2015.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb123 View Post
Ohhh I don't get down that way, as it's well known in the forum

QFC, Fred Meyer and Albertsons are all owned by the same company - I think their prices are all about the same, and all pretty expensive.
I maybe wrong but I do not believe they are all owned by the same company and their are definitely a difference in prices.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
I maybe wrong but I do not believe they are all owned by the same company and their are definitely a difference in prices.
QFC and Fred Meyer both belong to Kroger, Albertson's belongs to Supervalu.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:30 PM

To LucaBella: How much money can you spend on one day's worth of food in one day?

Because places like Whole Foods and PCC can be affordable with certain things.

I actually also live on a rather tight budget for food, and still can indulge in food I love on a tight budget.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
Albertson's is pretty cheap too usually, and they've really beefed up their organic foods selection over the past couple of years. But as stated, Fred Meyer bought QFC and then Freddy's and all its divisions, including QFC, were merged into Kroger. So they offer, more or less, the same products. Albertson's is owned by a different company, you're right.

Whole Foods is overrated. Places like PCC in Seattle and New Seasons down here in Portland are a much better alternative.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Albertson's is pretty cheap too usually, and they've really beefed up their organic foods selection over the past couple of years. But as stated, Fred Meyer bought QFC and then Freddy's and all its divisions, including QFC, were merged into Kroger. So they offer, more or less, the same products. Albertson's is owned by a different company, you're right.

Whole Foods is overrated. Places like PCC in Seattle and New Seasons down here in Portland are a much better alternative.
When you shop at PCC, you're supporting a member owned, local store that cares about and is involved in the community.

When you shop at Whole Foods, you're supporting a Texas based chain that's known for mislabeling products as organic, spending lots of money to keep universal health care from becoming law, and firing employees who wanted to unionize. It's great to eat healthy foods, but if your values don't match up with Whole Foods', PCC might be a better choice.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To 415:

Does Uwajimaya offer great Indian and Thai groceries in particular? What about Indian kitchenware? Is their indoor seating awesome like the three Whole Foods in Seattle?
Indian and Thai? Not really. They have a Thai to-go place in the food court that's pretty good as far as Bangkok-style street food goes. The indoor seating is adequate: it's nearly impossible to get your own table, which is kind of cool on the one hand because it means that you're sitting with people that you (theoretically) can have conversations with and whatnot. On the other hand, it's a mostly-Asian food court in Seattle, which means that there's a decent chance any attempt to talk with someone (especially an Asian person) will be met with a faceful of ingore. I did chat a few people up there decently, though. It gets very noisy around lunchtime.
Quote:
Also the three Whole Foods in Seattle offer plenty of great Asian food someone could find in Uwajimaya, but Ill definitely check it out soon.
Whole Foods has an exponentially better selection of Western-made Asian products, especially Indian and Thai as that's not Uwajimaya's focus. Again, Uwajimaya is Japanese 1st, and everything else afterwards. The best overall selection of authentic Indian, Thai, and other Asian goods is at HT Oaktree Market, which is close to you... near the intersection of Northgate and Aurora. Way the hell cheaper than Whole Foods, too.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 PM

To 415: Wow!? Uwajimaya doesnt have ANY good Indian and Thai!? Not even at least 2 great products for each? That place must have at least some.

Whole Foods and PCC Natural Market has some good deals for some Asian food. I can get Chana Masala, Dhal Makhani, or Pad thai for 3-4 dollars each in both of those places.

I love sushi but it just feels like its expensive if I want a large quantity of sushi. For Indian or Thai, I usually can get much larger quantities of food for the same price or less than for just 6 pieces of sushi.

I hope I get a response back with the messages part 3. I sent one back yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area