Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 PM

34 posts, read 141,920 times

Advertisements

I think though that the question was on how to find an apartment when one doesn't have a job. I ran up against the same problem when I came; I found Pacific Inn in Bellevue (which isn't very nice, I guess, but it was a port in a storm and the people were friendly) And...it takes credit cards, and not too many places are safer than downtown Bellevue. I learned later that especially now, a lot of places will only check your credit rating, and not ask for proof of employment. I was too embarassed, though, so waited to get my apartment till I had a job--besides, I wanted to live close to work.

Be wary of shared apartments or houses. I was scammed on one--not a great way to start off a new life in Seattle. You're vulnerable if you don't know people.

The good news is that apartment prices seem to be coming down, if what I see on Craigslist is any indication.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM

By the way, Electrodragon--my 1 BR 1 BA apt in Bellevue (Lake Hills--beautiful view and peaceful) comes to about $975 when you factor in the month's free rent. Has WD in the unit and a fireplace. Covered, reserved parking place. Not a palace, but plenty for now.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
There are some places in Lake City that will rent to the currently unemployed, but you have to pony up plenty of deposit/security cash. They're not very nice apartments.

Without a job, you'd probably be better off trying to get a roommate type arrangement rather than deal with landlords directly.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 AM

38 posts, read 128,274 times
Lake City?
Do you mean apartments or extended stay hotels?

I'm looking at The Pacific Inn...but frankly $995 a month would take a HUGE bite out of my monthly dishwashing wages.
I may end up doing it anyway but if I can find something cheaper... great.

Also, I wonder if I should be looking at another base from which to job / apartment hunt...
...I mean if Bellevue is really that calm, peaceful, clean...and, well, kinda expensive because of it maybe I should lower my standards.

I'm looking for a (long term) place for $650....which I do see happening here on craigslist.
...not sure if these places are dangerous or 'legit'.

I mean I'm a simple geeky guy with a childish streak a mile long...as long as I can sleep through the night and don't have to openly
carry a weapon to get to and from my place I'll be fine with a quiet, dilapidated 15 x 15 shack behind some stong willed abuelita's house.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 AM

79 posts, read 121,541 times
Default Which one of the Inn Apartments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Western Washington doesn't have areas that are "too scary and dangerous", so not to worry.

The Inn Apartments, furnished apartments downtown Seattle and downtown Bellevue

All three are used by business people, tourists, parents, and rent by the month, have fully furnished rooms, kitchenettes, TVs, cable, internet connections, local phone service, housekeeping, laundry room, all included in the price. Good luck!

Any opinions as to which of the 4 hotels are in a safe area, close to activities and fairly comfortable for the price of $1100 or more.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameBen View Post
Also, I wonder if I should be looking at another base from which to job / apartment hunt...
...I mean if Bellevue is really that calm, peaceful, clean...and, well, kinda expensive because of it maybe I should lower my standards.
Whoops, I confused the monthly hotel called Belltown Inn with the 'neighborhood' Bellevue.

Sorry.

I've got to make a decision (and reservations) by this weekend!

Last edited by UsernameBen; 05-15-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry08 View Post
Any opinions as to which of the 4 hotels are in a safe area, close to activities and fairly comfortable for the price of $1100 or more.
This opinion is from a woman, trained in life in NYC, who prefers to avoid problems instead of having to solve them. Make sense? That having been said, the Queen Anne location and the Bellevue location are hotel/apartments I would personally stay at. I would not personally stay at the other two locations, due to a variety of down-on-their-luck people who frequent those areas.

I have a friend who moved in, permanently, to the one in Bellevue a few years ago and I visit her there often. the building is probably half long-term renters and half short-time contract workers for Microsoft and other companies. The apartments there that I've seen are small, comfortable, well-appointed, quiet, close to everything with a wide variety of restaurants that deliver, and I forgot to mention previously that the rent includes secure parking of one vehicle (often a pretty big expense). Conversations with the Pacific Inn staff over time tell me the Queen Anne facility is the same -- a good deal for the money. Over time, in chats other long-term renters at Pacific Inn have told me the place (and the area) are really safe.

So I personally would not hesitate to stay at the Mediterranean or the Pacific.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Wow. I guess I was even more confused that I thought.
Bellevue meet Belltown; Belltown ...Bellevue.
Both of you have monthly you should have a lot to talk about!

I love how they're named after monopoly properties though
...that only took me a few days to figure that out.

Last edited by UsernameBen; 05-15-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 11:05 PM

Another thing about Pacific Inn or the Mediterranean or other "hotel" type places--you don't need to make a committment; they called me a day or so before the end of the month to ask if I was staying another month. That allows you to land temporarily in one place and then search once you're physically here. So you would only need to pay that amount one month while you scout out another place.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:32 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,697 times
If you have transportation, you can rent a room in a private house for $350-400 a month. 10-15 miles from Seattle. That would be your best bet.
Public transportation here is not good outside of the city. You didn't mention what you did for a living. Do you have to be in the city?
$650/month will only buy you section 8 housing in most cities in western WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area