Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopoops View Post
ugh arizona? isnt that like horrible?
Yup - just horrible.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
A silly question about volcanic activity in Seattle-arizona-forest.jpg   A silly question about volcanic activity in Seattle-arizona-golf.jpg   A silly question about volcanic activity in Seattle-arizona-grand-canyon.jpg   A silly question about volcanic activity in Seattle-arizona-meadow.jpg   A silly question about volcanic activity in Seattle-arizona-patio.jpg  

A silly question about volcanic activity in Seattle-arizona-sedona1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Yup - just horrible.

Ken
Yup. That awful Grand Canyon. Coconino National Forest. Kaibab Squirrels with their furry eartufts. Saguaro everywhere in the Saguaro National Park. The San Francisco peaks. Monument Valley. Sunset Crater. Gila Monsters. Jerome. Route 66. Oak Canyon. Sedona. Jackalopes.

Awful place.

Last edited by allforcats; 08-04-2009 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Yup. That awful Grand Canyon. Coconino National Forest. Kaibab Squirrels with their furry eartufts. Saguaro everywhere in the Saguaro National Park. The San Francisco peaks. Monument Valley. Sunset Crater. Gila Monsters. Jerome. Route 66. Oak Canyon. Sedona. Jackalopes.

Awful place.
Not to hijack this thread, but I cant remember seeing a squirl in Gilbert AZ where I lived. I suppose there are none in the Desert.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
I'm sure you're right, that squirrels aren't in the desert. I believe the Kaibab Squirrels are only in the northern forests on the south rim. I lived in Flag for a while, in the forest, and a few visited me every day. I've always loved squirrels, but back east they were always grey or brownish. These fellas seemed magical !
File:Kaibab Squirrel.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Grand Canyon Kaibab squirrel on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/friuduric/3652384315/ - broken link)

Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 PM

68 posts, read 192,763 times
uh i think glacier peak looks closer to the seattle area than mt rainier thank you

Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,308 times
Just found this Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Yeah, earthquakes are MUCH more of a serious threat to Seattle than Volcanoes. Seattle has several volcanoes in the general area - but none pose any serious risk to Seattle proper in regards to lava or mudflows because of distance and intervening shape of the terrain. Likewise risk from ash fall out is pretty slight because in every case the prevailing winds would take the ash AWAY from the Seattle area. Occasionally those winds DO blow towards Seattle from one or more of the nearby volcanic peaks - but those times are pretty rare and pretty short.

As mentioned however, the risk of earthquakes is VERY REAL (and I say this as someone who was uttering "Jesus Christ!" while ducked under his desk as our bulding at work shaked rattled and rollsed back in the 6.8 quake of 2001 - so I'm FULLY aware of the fact that significant quakes can occur here).

Quakes can and do happen here.

Ken

Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 PM

68 posts, read 192,763 times
what did they say in the video i dont have sound on my computer right now

Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopoops View Post
what did they say in the video i dont have sound on my computer right now
This is close enough

Scientists say the next killer tsunami could come from a Seattle 9.0 earthquake!

Ken

Old 08-24-2009, 05:48 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, earthquakes are MUCH more of a serious threat to Seattle than Volcanoes. Seattle has several volcanoes in the general area - but none pose any serious risk to Seattle proper in regards to lava or mudflows because of distance and intervening shape of the terrain. Likewise risk from ash fall out is pretty slight because in every case the prevailing winds would take the ash AWAY from the Seattle area. Occasionally those winds DO blow towards Seattle from one or more of the nearby volcanic peaks - but those times are pretty rare and pretty short.

As mentioned however, the risk of earthquakes is VERY REAL (and I say this as someone who was uttering "Jesus Christ!" while ducked under his desk as our bulding at work shaked rattled and rollsed back in the 6.8 quake of 2001 - so I'm FULLY aware of the fact that significant quakes can occur here).

Quakes can and do happen here.

Ken
Yeah, they've been saying this about California as well and "The Big One" hasn't happened yet. The bottom line is, although a big earthquake is possible, it could happen tomorrow or 100 years from now, nobody knows, so it's really nothing to fret over (as is fear of a volcanic eruption).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area