Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 14,594 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are considering a move to the Seattle area in September of this year. Were both from New England so were us to the less than ideal weather (plenty of rain and snow). I'm be 21 and she's 23, I'm an audio engineer and looking to work in a recording studio in the area (I’m currently working in NYC but am ready for a move), she’s a radiation therapist and is looking to work at a major hospital. We should be making around 80K or so after taxes, were looking for a house in or around the Seattle area that will fit our budget of about 350K (3+ Bedrooms) . Does anyone have any suggestions for area's within a 30 or so minute commute of Seattle with good schooling and plenty of outdoor activities as we plan to have children before too long. Also how’s the public transportation; subway, trains, busses? Thanks for all the help and info.

~ Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
We also have a board for just Seattle

The problem with Seattle is the same with most metropolitan cities. The good schools are NOT near the city area. Our medium home price right now is around 425K or 450K, you will be able to find a house around $350K but you will need to go outside of Seattle. Which is fine - allot of people commute.

The nice areas with the good schools are on the "East side" where the towns are called Redmond, Bellevue, Issaquah etc. But those home prices start around 600K. Most yound adults buy a condo (usually around $350K) and they are the "hot" thing now.

I always advise renting first to see what kind of areas you like. Otherwise I would say invest in a condo - and then look around at neighborhoods and schools when you have kids.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 AM

PS - there are no subways or trains (they are building a light rail but it's got a long time til done) Every one commutes by bus and I have found the bus system here amazing!

And the outdoor activities are everywhere - anywhere you go

I don't go out much with my kids because I do not like to be cold (it's 39 degrees right now)

Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Hi Ben.

First, let me urge you to take a look at some of the other threads because a lot of what you've asked has been hashed and rehased, sometimes hotly debated. Those topics being, the commute, the schools, the availablity of affordable housing to purchase, and the region's transportation system. None of these topics do we --the participants here-- seem to see eye-to-eye on as you'll see on other threads and probably developing here on this thread.

I'll start off and give you my "opinions" in summary form.

Commute: the congestion is awful in the Puget Sound region. You may have to adjust that 30 minute wish.

Schools: generally the consensus is that Seattle schools (Seattle public schools) are on a steady decline and that a lot of parents are using private schools. Most, including myself, prefer the eastside public school districts (Lake Washington, Northshore, Bellevue, Issaquah, Snoqualmie Valley, Riverview, etc.)

Housing: $350k is going to be difficult if not impossible to find within 30 minutes of downtown unless it be a small condo.

Transportation: Again, many different thoughts on this. I'm biased because I once worked for transportation agency. I think the bus system is good. An award winning system. One that many from other parts of the nation comment on its efficiency. But that could be out of necessity because the region still does not have a viable rail system. The first leg of light rail is currently under construction but won't be operating for another couple of years. It has very controversial routing and may not help the area's congestion problems significantly.

Income: Again, we hotly debated this in another thread whether a family of four could make it on anything less than $110k income. I believe a couple with an income of $80 can make it fine if frugal and has the ability to wait for a good bargain as far as buying a house goes.

Ok, let the flaming commence!

Good luck, Ben. Keep asking questions. And keep reading the various threads here.

--'rocco

Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
oops, didn't see CityGirl's posts. we may have duplicated some of the topics. Sorry, CityGirl. *lol*

--'rocco

Old 04-09-2007, 05:11 PM

26 posts, read 75,250 times
bellevue, redmond, kirkland, issaquah are the nicest. i'd say second tier in comparitive size wize would be bothell, renton, lynnwood. you wont find anyting but a condo in the nicest cities. second tier is still pretty allright you should be able to buy a house. just a little farther NE of seattle. i

Old 04-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Bothell & Lynnwood I'm okay with (not great but OK)

Renton is a big no no

Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Im in the same boat but am gonna rent. And the more I look the more I see how expensive Seattle really is to live in a nice area!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
What about Lacy, University Place and Lakewood?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,889 times
UP pretty good, except in the apartment rental areas. Reputed to have some of the better schools in the area.

If you're looking at UP, consider Fircrest as a better alternate.

Lakewood is dicey unless you're looking at the area around Oakbrook Golf Course. Streets named after gemstones (Ruby, Onyx and the like).

Lacy, not too bad, except getting real crowded. Get east of Martin Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area