Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM

16 posts, read 66,092 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Seattle area for work this summer, and we wanted to be between Tacoma and downtown Seattle (for ease of commuting to both). We're going to focus most of our attention on Renton, particularly areas in the Issaquah school district. We've been looking into the Renton Highlands area -- but have heard mixed reviews, with some saying there can be high crime (at least in some parts).

Can you give us your thoughts on Renton Highlands? Are there some areas that are "safer" than others? We're out-of-staters who have to do quite a bit of the initial legwork from a distance, so any advice/information you have would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
The part of the Renton Highlands that is in the Issaquah school district is just fine.
In fact, most of the Renton Highlands is fine, but...
There's a shopping center in the western part of the Renton Highlands on Sunset which has a great Thai restaurant and a big Vietnamese supermarket, but it's adjacent to a public housing project, and at the other end of the shopping center is a drug rehab place.
I shop there and eat there, but I wouldn't live immediately adjacent to it.
The "bad" part of the Renton Highlands only covers maybe three blocks, and it's not bad at all by east coast standards. It ain't Camden by a longshot.
The President of the Renton City Council lives in Renton Highlands, and he works designing airplanes for Boeing.
The two main commercial strips in the Renton Highlands are Sunset, and Northeast Fourth Street. They're both worth exploring, but different in character. Sunset seems to attract more bargain hunters. It has two second hand stores and two dollar stores, all within a couple of blocks of each other, as well as a couple of lower priced supermarkets and a brand new Safeway. A little further down they have an Albertson's and a Big Lots, and a nice hardware store. Sunset also has some great places to eat.
NE 4th is a little "classier", with a Safeway and a QFC, a really good pizza place, a great produce place/gourmet store, and an old fashioned butcher shop.
The eastern part of the Renton Highlands is also quite close to some great hiking at Cougar Mountain and Squak Mountain, officially part of the Cascade foothills( they don't feel like "foothills" when you're climbing them), but locally known as the Issaquah Alps.
I'm in the Renton Highlands a lot and know the area pretty well, so feel free to direct message me if you feel you need to take it outside the forum.
Ira

Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,525 times
There are a lot of nice, new subdivisions that have sprung up along the NE 4th corridor that Ira alluded to.

It's inevitably losing some of its pleasing rural character, and becoming more suburban, but I think that this eastern part of the Highlands (aka East Renton Plateau) is very safe. It's also a quick trip down the hill to Renton's Landing, for big box shopping, etc.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 AM

132 posts, read 340,953 times
The part of Renton under Issaquah School District is very far from I405. Your commute to Tacoma is likely to be very long.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:28 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,525 times
Not necessarily true. If you're in the area of 4th St. (along which the Issaquah and Renton districts can literally be across the street from each other in places), it's a quick and easy trip down so-called "cemetery hill" to I-405, exit 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueGuy View Post
The part of Renton under Issaquah School District is very far from I405.
I can't disagree with you there. Tacoma wouldn't be a very fun commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueGuy View Post
Your commute to Tacoma is likely to be very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area