Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,738 times

Advertisements

Having moved from the east coast last year, I've noticed this phenomenon twice now and would like to know what it is. At the same end of May time frame last year and this year, I see all this white fluffy plant material EVERYWHERE... its snowing the stuff, and it swirls in the streets in huge quantities. They never had this stuff back east, so I was wondering what exactly it was? Clearly its some kind of seed or pollen, but is it from a weed, a tree, and which one? It clearly all comes from the same species....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:53 PM

34 posts, read 141,905 times
I have the same question; it really is like snow. Is this cottonwood? We had it in Texas a bit, but never in this quantity. I see some trees that look like our cottonwood but they are taller, and I dont remember the bark. I asked a local and he kind of laughed and said if it looked like cottonwood it must be cottonwood....duh...

Well, whatever...it's fun to watch but my allergies aren't having a good time.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Yup, it's cottonwood. It's so thick it looks like snow at times.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Whatever it is, it makes me miserable.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys... I did a little research and specifically this must be the black cottonwood and we are dead center for its geographic range. It's weird that there must be that many of them here since all I can really see most of the time are various kinds of evergreen trees!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 PM

300 posts, read 1,211,094 times
They're around. Luckily it's not the same kind of cottonwood you get in the south that can set off allergies. This stuff just makes a mess.

I picked up 25 gallons of cotton wood out of my normal sized back yard last year.

The seeds aren't really the worst part of these trees. They're trash wood. They grow so fast that their limbs are very weak so they break off at the drop of a hat. We had a 30' branch drop off our neighbor's cottonwood tree simply because it was drizzling last year. That little extra weight pushed the branch over the breaking point.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
I picked up 25 gallons of cotton wood out of my normal sized back yard last year.
Won't the seeds just biodegrade if you leave them alone or mulch them with grass clippings? Do they really need cleaned up? Just curious as I'm about to get my first PNW lawn.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,829 times
Oh man. No, you can't leave them. They took over the space our son uses to play -- they drifted up in the backyard. If you can't see the uneven places under the trees, it's not safe to walk; you'll twist an ankle. This is a dirt-area, not a grassy area, right under a bunch of firs and that terrible gigantic cottonwood. (I'm obsidian's wife, so we are talking about the same house). I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

They never really caused a problem on the lawn, other than the areas right under the tree where branches or big clusters of empty pods would fall. They are sticky and pokey and not fun, you want those picked up from where kids play. But other areas not directly under the tree were fine. Front yard, for example, just had some white stuff on it. No biggie. Definitely not the foot-high drifts. So, if you're not right under a gigantic cottonwood tree, you will be fine. It'll cluster along the edge of your sidewalk, but won't get deep enough to cause a problem!

It's everywhere and it's not anywhere near peak yet. Gah! Hate the cottonwoods!!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:03 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
Default All About the Cottonwood

Local News | Fluff is survival tactic for a tough species: cottonwood | Seattle Times

Interesting that the cottonwood isn't much of an allergen, for the most part.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

214 posts, read 649,708 times
We have one in our back year and it pretty much covers the entire block in the fluffy stuff. I need to get some one out here to cut it down one of these years but its $$$ I second the fact that if you look at it wrong a huge limb will break off. I cant believe I used to climb it when I was a kid.....stupid lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area