U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM

7 posts, read 31,679 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a home in the Seattle area, somewhere with a good commute to downtown, good schools, around $500K house price. So far have looked within the city, but someone mentioned Lake Forest Park, does anyone know anything about this area? Schools, homes, style, people, etc. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,766,723 times
I like Lake Forest Park. The schools are in the Shoreline school district, which is considered to be good, and a lot of the houses are large, on large lots with lots of trees....A lot of the houses are 50's-60's but renovated and well maintained...The big thing about Lake Forest Park is Third Place Books, one of the largest bookstores in the Seattle area. The guy who owns the bookstore owns the entire shopping center where the bookstore is located, and he's something of a quirky visionary. He's transformed this suburban shopping center into a cool community gathering place. There's a big food court, but no chain restaurants, all independent and good, and there's a big meeting room which he lets community groups use for free. Bothell Way/Lake City Way can be slow moving, if you're driving. But Metro has their own bus lane, so it's faster to take the bus.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 AM

14 posts, read 48,649 times
Lake Forest Park is great (at least in my opinion). Very family-friendly, safe, lots of trees. You may find, however, that even with house prices down dramatically, $500k is on the lower end for houses in the area. One thing to consider when looking at houses here is sunlight; a heavily wooded lot may look beautiful, but may really restrict the (already very limited) amount of light that we get in Seattle.

Commute to downtown would usually be ~45 minutes, and there are several express buses passing through LFP which make it to downtown even faster than that. Off-peak hours driving time (which in Seattle seems like 10 p.m. - 3 a.m., but I digress) to downtown is under 20 minutes.

And to echo the previous commenter, the Third Place Commons shopping mall is great. There's a big weekly farmer's market in the summer, and the Lake Forest Bar & Grill (sort of an upscale bistro/bar) just opened there last week.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM

479 posts, read 2,096,154 times
I like Lake Forest Park. There is somewhat of a mix, but for the most part it is pretty nice. There are a lot of pretty houses and lots of trees. Lake Forest Park is part of the Shoreline school district which has a good reputation, but I would recomend reading some of the (High school) parent reviews on Great Schools. Shoreline Schools - Shoreline Washington School Ratings - Public and Private

I also like N. Seattle and there is always the east side which has minimal traffic along I-90. And if you like Lake Forest Park, there is a neighborhood just east of there called the Arrowhead neighborhood in Kenmore. It has a similar "feel" but is farther away form downtown and is a bit cheaper... I think they are part of the Northshore school district, Inglemore High.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM

68 posts, read 205,990 times
Difficult to describe -- it's more a state of mind than a place, really.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 AM

3,970 posts, read 12,857,186 times
Lake Forest Park is great. Heavilly wooded residential, with one strip mall down on Hwy 522. (The Bothell highway) Pretty easy access to Seattle, not hard to get to the eastside. I-5 not far away, either. A very attractive area, with home prices running the gamut, from 350K up to a mill. It is quite diverse when it comes to neighborhood real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area