Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 12:05 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Do you think that is fair? I wonder if subsidizing the bus service is some sort of weird way to get people who drive to ride the bus. I mean, they're not forcing you to ride the bus. You can pay a lot of money for the convenience of driving a car. It makes sense, I suppose.

Murray thinks the double-tolling is the way to raise enough cash to pay for all of the 520 Bridge replacement. He also thinks the tolls could help finance corridor bus service, which is under pressure in King County as supporting sales taxes decline. The county has proposed a car-tab tax to help it support new bus service.

Well, at least if I pay more and more taxes as part of the experience then at least more people can afford to ride the bus. I think that's fair. I'm helping out my neighbor, and it will give me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

House bill would limit toll to 520

I'm going to make a prediction. I-90 is ripe for the picking for a toll. Might not happen today. Gonna happen, though. I got a feeling. It's too juicy of a peach to pass up.

I wonder how I would feel if the tolls was "To pay for free children's insurance." Isn't it strange how things are like that? If you're saving some kid $1000 bucks, it seems almost holy. If you're saving Joe the gum smacking worker bee $1000 bucks a year, it doesn't feel so "groovy." But, doesn't Joe deserve your help? Isn't Joe's worth the same as little Timmy's worth in the grand scheme of things? Should I even care what this tax in Seattle (CRAP...toll) pays for?

It's only money, right? Heck, we should use it to improve Spokane bus service, right? We're all just one big, happy, money sharing family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,819 times
If car riders have to pay tolls, then bus riders should pay them too.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 PM

27 posts, read 100,283 times
Answer me this.... If a bus at 3:00am crosses the 520 bridge with 3 passengers, is the toll the same as bus with 100 passengers at 5:00pm?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:06 AM

132 posts, read 341,033 times
A typical proposal from a Seattle senator: let's suck every single cent from other cities and spend on buses, where 80% of the benefits will go to Seattle.

Matter of the fact is the bridge toll is for bridge funding only, and rightly so. All the cities involved have recommended the money not be spent on transit, except well of course =) Seattle. I am sure a lot of people on the Eastside will make sure their senator hear their voices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area