U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 31,680 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Seattle and am currently renting in the Queen Anne area. I've started looking at homes and am wondering what the Magnolia area is like? How does it compare to say, Ballard or the North East (Wedgewood)? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,769,146 times
Magnolia is large and some areas are much nicer than others. Some Magnolia property has spectacular views and Magnolia has some of the most expensive houses in the city.
There is also the part of Magnolia closer to 15th west, the Interbay area, which has much smaller houses, a little more industrial flavor...The main retail district, Magnolia Village, is fairly small, friendly, and charming. Much smaller and much less hip than Ballard's retail/restaurant scene, maybe a little more like Wedgewood with nicer views...One thing I have noticed is that sometimes homes in Magnolia are on larger lots than the typical Seattle house....And Discovery Park is pretty spectacular.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,666,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Magnolia is large and some areas are much nicer than others. Some Magnolia property has spectacular views and Magnolia has some of the most expensive houses in the city.
There is also the part of Magnolia closer to 15th west, the Interbay area, which has much smaller houses, a little more industrial flavor...The main retail district, Magnolia Village, is fairly small, friendly, and charming. Much smaller and much less hip than Ballard's retail/restaurant scene, maybe a little more like Wedgewood with nicer views...One thing I have noticed is that sometimes homes in Magnolia are on larger lots than the typical Seattle house....And Discovery Park is pretty spectacular.
I second Ira's observations. My wife and I were looking at property there before the bubble burst. We hope that it will become at least a little more accessible now.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks. What about schools? My daughter will start kindergarten. I'm looking in these areas you mentioned but also near Wedgewood? What's the area by Matthews Beach like? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Two public elementary schools in Magnolia, both well regarded. One is Catherine Blaine, for folks in the middle of magnolia and south, and Lawton elementary, for those Magnolians in the middle of Magnolia and north. The Seattle Public schools website has maps so you can link the assigned school to the house.

And the area around Matthews Beach is nice too, and has a couple of good elementary schools, Wedgewood and John Rogers, depending on where you live.
Not too far away is Lake City, a more economically and ethnically diverse area.
If I had to pick between the magnolia area and matthews beach, I'd probably pick Magnolia, but that's just me. I'm a sucker for light, and the Matthews Beach area is pretty forested.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM

Default Magnolia high school?

Where do kids go to high school if they live in Magnolia? I checked out the info and clusters on the Seattle school website but there is no high school listed. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM

There are no clusters for Seattle high schools. You can apply to attend any high school, but people who live closest to that high school would have priority, and it appears that Magnolia would be closest to Ballard High School. Not sure about school bus transportation, but this may have info you need.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 AM

This, I mean:
http://www.seattleschools.org/area/eso/secondary_guide_0910.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM

Excellent, thanks. What's Magnolia like to live in?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM

It depends where in Magnolia.
The area near 15th west has more apartments and smaller houses, and has less professionals and more working stiffs. The area around Perkins Lane has some of Seattle's wealthier folks...There aren't a lot of places to shop in Magnolia, some on Dravus, some close to Discovery Park, a little near Fisherman's terminal, and a lot in the Magnolia Village area...
30 years ago Seattle had a very sizable Republican minority, and most of them lived in Magnolia and West Seattle. Now they are a tiny minority...John Kerry took 85% of the vote in Seattle in 2004.
But for the most part, Magnolia is really pleasant and pretty. There are some exceptions. Some people find Magnolia to be too isolated; you have to work to get there. For others, that's a big plus. Some people like the vibrant retail and restaurant scene of Queen Anne or Capitol Hill, and Magnolia is just a lot quieter.
But it's safe, it's scenic, there's enough retail and restaurants for a lot of people. The population also tends to be a little older than Capitol Hill or Queen Anne, but that's changed some in recent years.
The old joke was " Old people don't live in Magnolia. Their parents do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area