Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM

228 posts, read 687,161 times

Advertisements

Here in Cleveland, it seems that every office has a business or business casual dress code; no jeans, tennis shoes, etc. Does the same apply in Seattle, or is the dress code a little more relaxed? I would assume that most up and coming companies would have a more modern, open-mined view regarding this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
I work for a big corporation, with one of its offices in downtown Seattle. Jeans are fine on Friday, and it's "business casual" the rest of the week.

I have to say, though, that the definition of "business casual" in Seattle doesn't jive with what I saw in the Northeast, especially for women.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM

328 posts, read 839,263 times
I work in the business office for one of the Medical Centers. Currently our dress code is very relaxed (jeans, tee-shirts). However, with greater emphasis on patient satisfaction, our code is being revised and we will be going to business casual this summer.

Overall, there seems to be a more relaxed attitude here than in the East, but it depends on the industry.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times
Good rule of thumb: Pretty formal for interview (depending on industry; no suits for automotive work!). Check out what everyone else is wearing when you visit. Then dress just a couple of degrees nicer until you've worked there a few weeks and have the pattern down. Always err on the side of caution.

I've worked with people who got it ALL wrong. Women who wore completely inappropriate way-too-sexy clothes to work. Men with awful hawaiian shirts and ripped up jeans. Ugh. I love my jeans and hate formal dress, but it's a very fine line between khakis-and-polo and flipflops-and-cutoffs. Don't be on the wrong side of it EVER, and you're OK.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 PM

228 posts, read 687,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

I have to say, though, that the definition of "business casual" in Seattle doesn't jive with what I saw in the Northeast, especially for women.

So what you're saying is that Seattle's not like walking down 5th Ave. in NY?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
My husband works at a large well-known Seattle company. He is sometimes amused at what people will come to work in (really dressed down) but he works with a lot of software developers and they can get way with it due to their genius quotient. His most casual day will be jeans (not ripped up) with a fleece and Keens. Normally he wears nice jeans and a pressed button down with dressier shoes...which is what the CEO wears. In his new job though...his boss and his bosses boss wear khakis so we will be heading back that direction now. But yes, in general, Seattle is more dressed down than the East Coast.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:50 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
My husband works at a large well-known Seattle company. He is sometimes amused at what people will come to work in (really dressed down) but he works with a lot of software developers and they can get way with it due to their genius quotient. His most casual day will be jeans (not ripped up) with a fleece and Keens. Normally he wears nice jeans and a pressed button down with dressier shoes...which is what the CEO wears. In his new job though...his boss and his bosses boss wear khakis so we will be heading back that direction now. But yes, in general, Seattle is more dressed down than the East Coast.
My hubby works at the same place and I didn't believe him that people dress way down until we visited him there. Ripped jean/shirts/sandals...wow We came from the east coast so this is all new to us. He wears nice jeans, a button down shirt, and docksiders and he feels dressed down. We have also been surprised at the way people in general dress around here.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
I work in the medical field in Seattle and we have a "business casual" dress code. Here's what it really seems to mean:

Interviews: suit and tie.

Men under 35: Trousers, leather shoes and button-up shirt. Jacket is seen as a little overkill.

Women under 35 generally dress conservatively and generally well for the most part.

Women over 35: Fleece vests. Yoga pants passed as "slacks." Crocs and other rubber clogs. Hiking attire. Long sleeved fleece sweatshirts. Tee-shirts passed at "nice" short sleeved shirts.

So basically I've noticed in Seattle that young people dress pretty well as do older people over 80 or so. But the Gen-X and Baby Boomer crowd tends to be the most dressed-down and "granola" in the workplace as well as on the street.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
My hubby works at the same place and I didn't believe him that people dress way down until we visited him there. Ripped jean/shirts/sandals...wow We came from the east coast so this is all new to us. He wears nice jeans, a button down shirt, and docksiders and he feels dressed down. We have also been surprised at the way people in general dress around here.
I got everyone beat. I know SVPs who wear stretch pants and flip flops. Most of the people I worked with out there looked like they were dressed to do chores at home - not got to work at a business. Not all of these folks were IT types. And it's not just at work. I went to opening night at the opera and about half of the people in the audience looked like bums-torn clothing, unkempt, etc. On the east coast, if people dressed like that their managers or HR would be sending them home.

I went shopping at a jewelry store and was asked if I was on my way to a wedding. I told them no and asked why they would think that and they told me that it was because of the way I was dressed- a pencil skirt, silk blouse and pumps. Go figure!!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 PM

328 posts, read 839,263 times
Wow! SVP's wearing stretch pants! I wear ties more often than not, but when I do, there always seems to be someone who thinks I'm going on a job interview! When it was announced we were going to a stricter dress code, the backlash was fierce. Some threatened to quit! If this is any indication, it would seem alot of people in Seattle feel very strongly about their jeans, tee-shirts, and sweat pants at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area