Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,625 times

Advertisements

I currently live in FL and I'm looking into moving to the Seattle/Tacoma area, preferably a suburb. I don't want to be in the city but close enough to not have to drive hours and hours to get there. I've lived in the South pretty much my whole life and I've always hated it here. I don't like the heat and I'm not a sun worshipper. I don't like country music, NASCAR, or rednecks. I don't like living in the bible belt where every hypocrite in the world wants me to go to church and redeem myself b/c I got knocked up, have my tongue pierced and a couple tattoos. lol...I'm not ready to move am I?

Realistically it'll be a couple of years before I'm really ready so in the meantime I'm trying to gather as much info as I can. My son will be getting ready to start Kindergarden by the time we move so which areas have the best schools and are the most kid friendly?

I'm also in school myself majoring in Graphic Design. I'd like to minor in Asian Studies but the schools here don't offer it. Any suggestions?

As far as work goes I currently work in the cable industry, Cox Communications, doing retail sales...yuk...but it pays well and I do like the company for the most part. Unfortunatly they aren't up there so I can't transfer. I'll prob try to get a job with Comcast to make things simple.

Basically I'm trying to do a bit of networking and hopefully make a few friends before we up and move across the country. Thx so much!

Dana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times
Funny as I used to live in Ft Walton Beach for 4 years and loved it there! I live in Tacoma now and I am wanting to move back to FL really bad! I moved here in 1995 and been here ever since. I was Air Force when I was down there and it was really nice and have fond memories of FL.

Well it does sound like you will fit in nicely in Seattle, there is also an Art Institute here and lots of opportunities for work, and there is a large Asian population too. But be prepared for the dreaded Seattle Freeze! Especially being a single parent. Dating is hard here, and especially meeting new people and friends. Not as easy as it is in the south! It also rains ~9 months out of the year and it can be depressing (Prozac sales are #1 here! LOL) But it might be the change you need. I myself hate it here and want to move to a warmer/sunny place. Seattle is not for everyone, but over all it is not that bad of a place, just not perfect like some people hope for it to be.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 AM

265 posts, read 1,073,512 times
I just moved to a place in Bothell where my next door neighbor asked me if I went to church the second time we met. He then said my entire street went to church except for "that guy over there". It almost sounded like they all went to the SAME church. Now, this really took me aback. I can understand this happening in Kansas, but Bothell??

Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Have you considered Spokane, It is a beautiful city with a river running right through the city. It is a small city that acts big. Alot of suburb type housing, schools all around for both kids and adults alike. It does not rain here as much as seattle, we do have more sunny days, we do have winter but it really isnt that bad. Basically if you like the outdoors but also like the city life, spokane is a great place.

The religious sects here are pretty much quite and keep to themselves. Great Graphic design programs at SFCC and at EWU. If you like to go out on the town at night, spokane does have that but it is pretty questionalbe of what days are better. There are a few of us who are trying to get the nightlife to consist of more days than just Fri, Sat, and Sun.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,625 times
I haven't really looked into Spokane but that's an option. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info! )

Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 AM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I just moved to a place in Bothell where my next door neighbor asked me if I went to church the second time we met. He then said my entire street went to church except for "that guy over there". It almost sounded like they all went to the SAME church. Now, this really took me aback. I can understand this happening in Kansas, but Bothell??
OUCH!! Actually, I know a couple of extra-religious types around here, and they all live in Bothell too. Weird.... but I know some non-religious people in Bothell, so it's not entirely overrun. Maybe they're all from that very religious college everybody says to get your nannies from.

Sorry you have to deal with that. Our neighborhood's the opposite... nobody really goes to church reguarly except for "that one guy" who is super-obnoxious about it. When my dog ran off and I saw them outside and asked if they'd seen her, he tried to hold hands and pray about it in the street. Gah!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 PM

99 posts, read 386,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
OUCH!! Actually, I know a couple of extra-religious types around here, and they all live in Bothell too. Weird.... but I know some non-religious people in Bothell, so it's not entirely overrun. Maybe they're all from that very religious college everybody says to get your nannies from.

Sorry you have to deal with that. Our neighborhood's the opposite... nobody really goes to church reguarly except for "that one guy" who is super-obnoxious about it. When my dog ran off and I saw them outside and asked if they'd seen her, he tried to hold hands and pray about it in the street. Gah!
you are sorry this person has to deal with a neighborhood of church goers that has to be the most backwards comment I think I've ever heard. Let me guess would you feel happier if a person lived in a neighborhood full of drugs, childmolesters, robberies ??? mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 06-11-2009 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: unnecessary comment ...attacking/baiting

Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 PM

99 posts, read 386,586 times
& NO! I am not saying that if you do not go to church than you must be a drug user child molestor that robs houses. I am sure that would have came up soon so thought I would clarify

All I am saying with all the terrible things that are going on in some neighborhoods how sill to complain about people who go to church

Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,512 times
Oh boy, sorry I brough it up. I wasn't really complaining, I was just noting that it seemed atypical for Seattle, but I wasn't sure, since I've only been here about 1 full year. I think the issue is that I moved into a neighborhood where everyone is a full generation older than us. Blame the housing developements that put all the houses up at the same time, which tend to be purchased by younger folks. So then if a development is say, 20 years old like mine is, there's your generation gap. But it was either that or deal with HOAs, postage stamp properties, big city noise, and other issues. I also happened to bring up my love of video games with a more senior neighbor. Boy was that a mistake! They said they had to go make dinner and ran off. On the bright side, at least all the neighborhood kids might like me.... I probably have more in common with them even though I'm in my 30s.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 PM

22 posts, read 92,398 times
Back to the OP's question, you should take a careful look at cost of living in Seattle--it can be tough even for households with two working parents. Not to say single parents can't get by in Seattle; I know several that do. But your living options/activities for your kid may be more limited here than elsewhere, simply due to the higher cost of living.

Shoreline is located just north of Seattle, has solid schools and reasonable housing prices for this region. I'd recommend taking a look at that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area