Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 PM

178 posts, read 584,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
BAM. Nailed. It.

I was going to mention the job market and the fantastic hole in their budget, but actually, they and Seattle are about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:44 PM

178 posts, read 584,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDawson View Post

There is even a recent article in the Seattle Times (one of the best I've read in that paper in a long time) about how Iran is modern, clean, the population is educated, and there are zero beggars or homeless. Check it out:

Opinion | Iran: observations from a journey to the heart of Persia | Seattle Times Newspaper

Portland is worse than Tijuana in some respects.
Re: Iran - Great I suppose if one doesn't mind living under a repressive Islamic theocracy.

Somehow I doubt that either Iran or Tijuana, Mexico will be topping the Mercer quality of life index anytime soon (as Portland regularly does as one of the highest rated U.S. cities).

Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 PM

84 posts, read 243,736 times
I recently got back from a trip to Portland. I love how unique, artistic and crafty that city is. If Seattle were as flat as Portland, I know we would be more bike friendly, but we just have too many hills. The public transportation in Portland is great, and you have to love that they actually have real strip clubs (ok, that may not be for everyone, but I appreciate it).

The one thing I can't get over is how off-putting people were. They seemed to have a superiority complex. Like everything is a contest to see who is more "hipster" and if you don't play the game, you aren't worth it. It's hard to explain I guess, but I guess I would describe it as "cliquey". Just my take.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Does booze really make boobs any better?

Old 06-22-2009, 04:40 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Does booze really make boobs any better?
Yes

Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikdahl View Post
I recently got back from a trip to Portland. I love how unique, artistic and crafty that city is. If Seattle were as flat as Portland, I know we would be more bike friendly, but we just have too many hills. The public transportation in Portland is great, and you have to love that they actually have real strip clubs (ok, that may not be for everyone, but I appreciate it).

The one thing I can't get over is how off-putting people were. They seemed to have a superiority complex. Like everything is a contest to see who is more "hipster" and if you don't play the game, you aren't worth it. It's hard to explain I guess, but I guess I would describe it as "cliquey". Just my take.
People always make comments about the "Seattle smug", but in Portland its 100x worse. Criticize that city in any way, and prepared to be burned at the stake.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 PM

53 posts, read 125,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDawson View Post
What do you think of all the riff-raff on the streets? The needles, homeless teens, beggars, etc? It embarrasses me to be an American when I go to Portland. And I have been all over the world.

There is even a recent article in the Seattle Times (one of the best I've read in that paper in a long time) about how Iran is modern, clean, the population is educated, and there are zero beggars or homeless. Check it out:

Opinion | Iran: observations from a journey to the heart of Persia | Seattle Times Newspaper

Portland is worse than Tijuana in some respects.
Idiotic post. If you truly believe it is better to live in Tijuana or Iran than in Portland, my suggestion to you is to move to either as soon as possible. I guarantee you will not be missed.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 PM

162 posts, read 513,181 times
I dont understand all the bashing about Portland. If you compare Portland to a good majority of American cities, it has so many advantages over them and strong points. There is a reason people from all over the country are not just flocking to Seattle, but Portland as well, and that is even despite the economy. Sure, it is not as big and corporate as Seattle and is lacking some jobs, but it has so much more character than many other US cities I have visited and lived in. Plus, the transportation system and easy navigability of the city far exceeds that of Seattle. You dont need to bash it just because it ISNT seattle. And you also dont need to bash it because you saw a few homeless guys and some ugly looking buildings, that is in every city and is FAR less in Portland than most.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
I went for the first time last weekend and loved it. Portland is much more walkable, which is refreshing. A lot less unnecassarily wide streets bordered by blank walls downtown. Reminded me of Europe. The boutique shopping was much more affordable than Seattle, so I plan on taking my girlfriend shopping down there more often rather than shelling out for smelly vintage stuff up here. The beer pubs are more relaxed and inviting. They also seem a lot less uptight about nightlife in general.

Im glad Portland is an easy walk-on train ride away. I like the living in the hustle of Seattle but I'll go to Portland to enjoy myself for weekend trips.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 PM

86 posts, read 318,297 times
Portland is just an awesome city. Easily navigated by public transit and small city blocks make this a great city to live and visit. Being an up and coming "food" town really helps and who does not like the plethora of fresh beer on tap literally everywhere. Not saying Seattle does not have food or beer or organics, but I found the people in PDX to be VERY happy and pleasant and especially approachable. I never once had a bad experience with anyone. In fact, everywhere I went in Oregon , the people we very friendly. Quite surprising considering all the protectionism I hear about from the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area