Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,566 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone in the Seattle area!

I am considering relocating from Chicago to Seattle, and would love to know a little more about what the area is like. I am looking to escape the brutal Chicago winters for a more temperate climate. I work in early childhood education and am curious if anyone knows a little more local buzz on employment rates than the overall market.

Also, being completely unfamiliar with the various neighborhoods, I'd love any advice on where a single 28-year old woman who is pretty calm, a little nerdy, and a theatre artist might be interested in living!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM

39 posts, read 124,148 times
well you could live in the university district that's a cheap place to live plus its by the university which would fuel your slightly nerdy side

it has cheap food and stores so thats good to

but its a little sketchy a lot of the people on university ave are crack heads drug dealers or armed robbers.

just dont go out alone after dark and you will be fine

Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Chicago-to-Seattle is not too abrupt. Both cities tend to be liberal, both have intense downtowns with a good mix of office/residential. Both have a lively theater and arts scene. Chicago, obviously has more options with it being a much bigger city. But I think for most, Chicago to Seattle will work. Be prepared for milder winters, milder summers, and a somewhat laid-back atmosphere that is sometimes hidden behind a caffienated, somewhat standoffish citizenry.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,540 times
What part of Chicago are you coming from?

We used to live in the River North/Gold Coast area and I can tell you that Seattle has no equivalent area.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Welcome to Seattle! I moved here two years ago from TX and we are really enjoying it. Unfortunately I live in the burbs on the Eastside so I don't think I will be much help to you because our life stages are a bit different. I don't think you will struggle as much with the weather transition as I did initially coming from TX. It wasn't the rain I minded, it was the dramatic temperature shift. If I had moved here from the Midwest where I lived the first 22 years of my life, I would have thought I hit the jackpot with this climate. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
My cousin is 30, moved here from Chicago, and is theatre oriented. She chose Ballrd as her neighborhood and loves it, but there are a few other neighborhoods that I think you might like as well.
In no particular order:
Capitol Hill, Fremont, Wallingford, Ravenna, Phinney Ridge, Columbia City, Madison Valley, the Central District.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
My cousin is 30, moved here from Chicago, and is theatre oriented. She chose Ballrd as her neighborhood and loves it, but there are a few other neighborhoods that I think you might like as well.
In no particular order:
Capitol Hill, Fremont, Wallingford, Ravenna, Phinney Ridge, Columbia City, Madison Valley, the Central District.

I agree with Ira on the suggestions. A single mom of 28 can find reasonable apartments in those neighborhoods, and even some houses are becoming more affordable.

I grew up in Chicago, moved here two years ago, and here's my impression:

The people, while caffeinated and standoffish, will welcome you once you join a club or group or something. People, like Chicago, aren't overtly welcoming and say "Hi" except in some of the more exclusive communities.

The laid back atmosphere is VERY laid back. Lazy in some ways I think.

You will be completely amazed at how little power Nickels has compared to Daley, who rules Chicago with an iron fist. You will also note how inept he is compared to Daley.

You will wonder how on Earth people can drive on roads with ruts in the road. And I mean like, 3-5 inch ruts. Literally.

People here drive very slowly.

The coffeehouses (especialyl the smaller ones) are FABULOUS.

The weather and people have been FABULOUS. You may miss snow, but it does snow 1-2 times a year here, and never more than 6 inches. BUT don't let it fool you - the city will come to a dead halt for a week after it snows. No wonder locals put on tire chains at the first hint of frost. Hence the ruts.

The city is much smaller and easier to get a hold of things in a 30 min drive.

The houses are as expensive if not more so than Chicago.

The arts scene is very vibrant and a different feel from the piano bar / blues / north rockabilly+surfer rock scene in Chicago.

The city, for the most part, is very safe. You don't have murders every day here. And when I mean city, I mean within the city limits, Seattle proper. Chicago has nice neighborhoods too, but in case you are a suburbanite from Chicago, I hope you will be pleasantly surprised that not all cities have run down ghettos comprising the entirity of the city.

Most places do not have air conditioning. Don't huff and puff about it though - it isn't needed. Buy a fan for the 1-2 weeks in summer it gets hot (read: 85 deg and pleasant humidity).

And one more thing: be prepared to become an outdoors person. With forests, mountain ranges, rivers, a kitchy and cute German town nearby, and all the coffee you can handle, it will inspire you. The thing that amazed me (and continues to amaze me) at how the mountains evolve from summer green with a tiny bit of frost to winter marvels. Just don't go driving in them unless you ahve a 4x4.

You will be 3 hours away from one of Canada's capitol cities. You will also be a ferry ride + 2-3 hours drive to a UNESCO world heritage site (Hoh rainforest).

Last edited by eskercurve; 06-16-2009 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: