Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:03 AM

69 posts, read 132,103 times

Advertisements

Hi all, this is my first post, and I hope someone can help me out.

I am a writer who lives in Cincinnati. I am currently working on a paranormal manuscript set in Seattle. I have never been to Seattle, and I am having a difficult time locating some of the information I need.

Most of the action in my manuscript happens between downtown, Belltown, and Capitol Hill. My problem is that I need a location close to those areas where a person with low income could live. The worse the area, the better for my story purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,840,944 times
Pioneer Square has quite a few low-income residents, including artist types.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:16 PM

21 posts, read 76,462 times
Solution: Set your story in the 1980s.

For a contemporary story I second using Pioneer Square. Search for "Frye Hotel". Keep in mind that while there is some low-income housing there, it is otherwise a very nice and tourist-friendly area. If you get the details right, it would be a better setting all-around. Seattle people love to read about Seattle.

Seattle is small and wealthy--nothing in Seattle compares to the projects and deteriorated areas in larger cities. Low-income people typically get Section 8 apartments in mixed-income buildings or flee to less expensive communities.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Thanks so much, MichaelinWA and nwexplor. Can either of you tell me if the units in the Frye are single room efficiencies or if they have been converted into multi-room units? They Frye sounds perfect.

Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
The Frye is a once elegant hotel, built in the early 1900s converted to low income apartments in the 1970's( after being in decline for many years before that). It is directly across from the King County courthouse and a small park still known as " Muscatel Meadow". The Frye has 234 units, some studios and some one bedrooms. Some units are designated for elderly, disabled, and formerly homeless folks.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The Frye is a once elegant hotel, built in the early 1900s converted to low income apartments in the 1970's( after being in decline for many years before that). It is directly across from the King County courthouse and a small park still known as " Muscatel Meadow". The Frye has 234 units, some studios and some one bedrooms. Some units are designated for elderly, disabled, and formerly homeless folks.
Thanks for the info. I did an image search and was surprised that I didn't find more pics. Thanks for the park name, hadn't found that yet.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:43 PM

35 posts, read 106,119 times
a lot of low income people also live on capitol hill. it's a very colorful neighborhood and quite dangerous. it's not just low income though, it's mixed with all the various types of wage earners from drug addicts and criminal elements, Elderly, very affluent and middle class.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azelismia View Post
a lot of low income people also live on capitol hill. it's a very colorful neighborhood and quite dangerous. it's not just low income though, it's mixed with all the various types of wage earners from drug addicts and criminal elements, Elderly, very affluent and middle class.
Thanks. Good info. The character in question does end up living on Capitol Hill, but I needed her to reside in another neighborhood for the first half of the novel.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
"Muscatel Meadow" is officially known as City Hall Park, because the King county Courthouse was originally the county-city building. Here's an old picture:

Seattle Municipal Archives - Online Exhibits - Historical Postcards

Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
"Muscatel Meadow" is officially known as City Hall Park, because the King county Courthouse was originally the county-city building. Here's an old picture:

Seattle Municipal Archives - Online Exhibits - Historical Postcards
Thanks. Great pic. The park looks really small. Are there any trees in it now? Do people lurk there at night? My characters are night critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: