Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 39,019 times

Advertisements

So what is it? A lot of people say it looks like a cool place. I guess a lot of you guys live there so tell me some of the cools things about seattle. I heard it rains a lot which I actually like...as sad as it may sound. And the space needle thing looks cool but what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Probably, for me, a Chicago transplant, is the slower way of life. I got tired of the uber-competitive nature of work in Chicago and the kill-yourself work ethic. There's still work ethos here but not nearly the same level.

Natural beauty is paramount. Two mountain ranges, a few major mountains, lakes, beaches, even arid areas if you want to drive are well within reach.

A dirty secret is that summers are GLORIOUS.

Another thing I like are the diversity of things to do and things to see. Yeah, in Chicago you can do almost anything under the sun, but you get just a different feel in a smaller city with big city appeal. The people genuinely pride their city, mostly.

And I like coffee. Even more so since I moved here, as some of the smaller roasters really know their joe. Pair it with some croissants or home made donuts ... or vegan bars ... mmmm.

Best wine in North America, both imported and domestic. Best beer in America too.

The space needle is actually just one attraction. Pike Place Market is another, the Experience Music Project is another, Alki beach is another, the sculpture park is another, native american and asian art abounds, etc.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
It's mostly the intangibles. Getting up in the morning and seeing beautiful mountain ranges, (OK, not possible EVERY morning), but whatever...

Enjoying the mild temps year-round. (OK, again, not ALWAYS possible), but most of the time.

A vibrant skyline (s), with both Seattle and Bellevue displaying some of the most active skyline activity in the U.S. this side of Atlanta.

And the people. Yes, a little skittish, but deep down very friendly, if you can get past that first layer.

I love my hometown, always will. It ain't for everyone, but IS for many. Enjoy.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 PM

343 posts, read 1,084,971 times
The natural beauty. Getting to see the lush greenery and the mountains.

The People. Forget the "Seattle Freeze", the people here are genuinely nice, and just a bit laid back. If you make any attempt to make friends here, you will succeed.

The weather. I like the rain and drizzle, but the summers here are mild, sunny and gorgeous! Winters are mild too, not much snow.

Our sports franchises and events (our culture). The Seahawks, The Mariners, The Sounders, The Storm, the Boeing Classic, the Rock n' Roll Marathon, and the 3BA on the sports side. Plenty of things to do or see around town besides sports as well: Plays at the 5th Avenue and Paramount Theatres, the local farmers markets, the Seattle Art Museum and Sculpture Park, the Seattle International Film Festival, Folklife, the Bite of Seattle, etc.

The diversity. Seattle is more diverse than most cities in the United States. This is a good article about the immigrant experience in Seattle: Seattle Metropolitan Magazine / Arts & Entertainment / Family / Detail (http://www.seattlemet.com/arts-and-entertainment/category/family/articles/family-immigrant-stories-0709/ - broken link)

Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Sonicsfan93, I want to play million dollar password with you. Really.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:07 AM

318 posts, read 950,525 times
Unlike major cities in the South, Seattle is not gritty and dusty. I can't emphasize enough how much the landscape is part of Seattle's appeal. Crossing the lake during an afternoon commute might be one of the best parts of my day.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
As an 18 year inhabitant, I found all the good, and the ugly. It is a great place to live. It also has its downsides: traffic being the worst, but its also incredibly dirty, and the people tend to take a "love it or leave it" attitude. We lived in North Seattle (Fremont and Westlake) for the first ten years, and you cannot keep your yards free of passers' litter, or the outside of the house free of the grim.

They are also pretty condescending to their homeless -- we've traveled half the country now, and nowhere else I've been has people lining the city streets and intersections, begging.

The cultural offerings are many, but the people are so laid back that they think nothing of holding up the performance by 20-30 minutes while they stand talking. Often, they continue to talk through the performance. The theater tends to be mostly political, and the dance tends to be modern. I quit going to SAM after years of disappointing exhibits. God help if you would like to see something performed other than The Nutcracker at Christmas.

Hiking is great, but you have to go quite a long distance to avoid the crowds. Cougar Mtn, the Cascades, Rainier -- the trails might as well be escalators at the airport. In the last years, we became fans of going further east, and once you drive about 3 - 4 hours, the trails free up.

Great nightlife, jazz, rock, classical -- it's all there.

Biking trails around town could use some work, but they are there.

You got to go, but realize it isn't perfect.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 39,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
As an 18 year inhabitant, I found all the good, and the ugly. It is a great place to live. It also has its downsides: traffic being the worst, but its also incredibly dirty, and the people tend to take a "love it or leave it" attitude. We lived in North Seattle (Fremont and Westlake) for the first ten years, and you cannot keep your yards free of passers' litter, or the outside of the house free of the grim.

They are also pretty condescending to their homeless -- we've traveled half the country now, and nowhere else I've been has people lining the city streets and intersections, begging.
I totally disagree on these two paragraphs. Seattle's got it way better than other cities in terms of homelessness and cleanliness. Traffic's bad, true, but I've been to other big cities and it's pretty similar in many big cities.

As far as people's fascination with the place: it's all just a personality fit, like any place. I think people like the laid backness of the lifestyle. It doesn't have the intense pace of some more urban cities, but it has a lot that they offer in terms of music scenes, dance, etc.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 PM

26 posts, read 115,520 times
Compared to Houston, here is why I like Seattle

- I hate sun and hot weather, so Seattle weather is perfect.
- It's beautiful being near mountains and water (as opposed to concrete flatness)
- It's pedestrian friendly
- The economy is more high tech, innovative (tons of startups) and diverse (as opposed to energy centric like Houston)
- It's culture is more liberal, but not overwhelmingly so because the yuppies balance out the tree huggers
- It seems like most people are transplants, which despite rumors of a "freeze," I find makes it easier to meet and befriend people.
- The city is just the right size, not too big, not too small
- There's a foodie culture (which to be fair exists in a lot of places)
- Violent crime is non existent compared to Houston (someone getting shot here is a big deal, but there are multiple shootings every day in Houston, and almost a murder every day)

Old 07-07-2009, 01:28 PM

221 posts, read 798,105 times
As a quick aside to an otherwise good post: No way is the wine better in Seattle than the Bay Area. I love Washington Wines, but Northern California wines are way more refined and, at least for the time being, better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Probably, for me, a Chicago transplant, is the slower way of life. I got tired of the uber-competitive nature of work in Chicago and the kill-yourself work ethic. There's still work ethos here but not nearly the same level.

Natural beauty is paramount. Two mountain ranges, a few major mountains, lakes, beaches, even arid areas if you want to drive are well within reach.

A dirty secret is that summers are GLORIOUS.

Another thing I like are the diversity of things to do and things to see. Yeah, in Chicago you can do almost anything under the sun, but you get just a different feel in a smaller city with big city appeal. The people genuinely pride their city, mostly.

And I like coffee. Even more so since I moved here, as some of the smaller roasters really know their joe. Pair it with some croissants or home made donuts ... or vegan bars ... mmmm.

Best wine in North America, both imported and domestic. Best beer in America too.

The space needle is actually just one attraction. Pike Place Market is another, the Experience Music Project is another, Alki beach is another, the sculpture park is another, native american and asian art abounds, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area