Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times

Advertisements

mod cut: quote removed

Then you've never been to Al Boccalino. It's on 1st and Yesler, in Pioneer Square. Try it and come back with apologies.

And if you want pizza well, sorry, pizza isn't relegated to being
a) thin crust, b) toasted, c) is EXACTLY like Sbarro pizza. Sbarro pizza is as authentic to NYC pizza as you're going to get here, and to be quite honest I have had NYC "authentic" pizza, in NYC, from a family run place (most likely the mafia), and I couldn't tell the difference.

People on the West Coast like things different. BTW, ham and pineapple are hawaiian style, not Seattle style. I don't think there is a Seattle style.

All pales in comparison to Chicago style pizza, IMHO, anyway, so this is a moot discussion.

Quote:
Seattle may have been modeled after NYC from a city planning perspective but it lacks the attitude or the energy which are on opposite ends of the spectrum. If you like NYC energy and attitude then you won't like living in Seattle, it's too different and cold.
It comes from ditching the screw-your-neighbor and the high-paced A type mentalities that typically come from NYC. I think you may be one of them if you think Seattle is "cold" since personally I've made tons of friends here and I like it, and find the energy different and nice, and you obviously don't go to any of the HUNDREDS of fairs, festivals, concerts, or events that happen MONTHLY in the city.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-11-2009 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: orphaned ...quote has been removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 PM

233 posts, read 752,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Seattle and Ohio are very similar-both are very passive-aggressive cultures. You might know that if you lived in both places. And I beg to differ, there is no good authentic pizza, Italian or Mexican food in the city, everything has a Pacific Northwest or West Coast flare. Sorry, I'm not looking for seafood or ham and pinapple on my pizza.

Seattle may have been modeled after NYC from a city planning perspective but it lacks the attitude or the energy which are on opposite ends of the spectrum. If you like NYC energy and attitude then you won't like living in Seattle, it's too different and cold.
Not to mention the mere population discrepency of oh, i don't know, 15 million or more people? Sorry, the west coast likes fresh vegetables and fish, wine, coffee etc.. NYC, Philly can keep their junk food. Pizza, bagels, doughnuts, philly cheese steaks. Those things are good once in awhile but I don't need those as the staple of my diet. Go to Via Tribunali if you want real authentic Italian Pizza-not Italian/American pizza New Yorkers are used to (although I love that too)

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-11-2009 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: quote edited

Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Then you've never been to Al Boccalino. It's on 1st and Yesler, in Pioneer Square. Try it and come back with apologies.

And if you want pizza well, sorry, pizza isn't relegated to being
a) thin crust, b) toasted, c) is EXACTLY like Sbarro pizza. Sbarro pizza is as authentic to NYC pizza as you're going to get here, and to be quite honest I have had NYC "authentic" pizza, in NYC, from a family run place (most likely the mafia), and I couldn't tell the difference.

People on the West Coast like things different. BTW, ham and pineapple are hawaiian style, not Seattle style. I don't think there is a Seattle style.

All pales in comparison to Chicago style pizza, IMHO, anyway, so this is a moot discussion.

It comes from ditching the screw-your-neighbor and the high-paced A type mentalities that typically come from NYC. I think you may be one of them if you think Seattle is "cold" since personally I've made tons of friends here and I like it, and find the energy different and nice, and you obviously don't go to any of the HUNDREDS of fairs, festivals, concerts, or events that happen MONTHLY in the city.
Hmm, Bumbershoot, Turkfest, Chinese NY, Asian festival, Gay pride, just about every ethnic festival hosted at Seattle Center, Seafair, firemans competition-need I go on- I went to them all year after year.. Did you hear me say anything about NYC having the best pizza? Uhm, I don't think so. I said that Seattle does not have good pizza- that's it. I worked there and lived there. Eat at hundreds of restaurants because I had to entertain clients. The italian food was passable but that's it. As for the "*********r neighbor/high paced A-type" at least New Yorkers will do it to your face if they do it and not behind your back like Seattlites will in their cowardly passive-agressive manner and at least NYers aren't hung up on getting into everyone's business and dictating how they live their lives with stupid laws. And at least East Coaster A-type personalities take time off to do something other than beat the crap out out their vendors and snub their customers and hide behind computers to do it. They also don;t find online dating to be a primary source of meeting someone-it's considered a last resort which is the opposite of Seattle.

Sorry, no apologies for crappy pizza.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
Not to mention the mere population discrepency of oh, i don't know, 15 million or more people? Sorry, the west coast likes fresh vegetables and fish, wine, coffee etc.. NYC, Philly can keep their junk food. Pizza, bagels, doughnuts, philly cheese steaks. Those things are good once in awhile but I don't need those as the staple of my diet. Go to Via Tribunali if you want real authentic Italian Pizza-not Italian/American pizza New Yorkers are used to (although I love that too)
Gee, I didn't know that the west coast had cornered the market on eating fresh fruits and vegetables, fish and wine. Seems to me we have those things on the east coast and consume them on a regular basis. Pizza is just an occassional item so when you have it you want it to be good and not some pretentious piece of cardboard. And doesn't Seattle has it's own list of junk food- churros, top pot donuts, Costco hotdogs, etc.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 PM

thedude999,

I said this under the Seattle Freeze thread. It has been my observation that one of three things seems to happen to east coasters who relocate to Seattle:
1. they get so aggrevated with the culture and bail as soon as they can
2. become severly depressed, withdraw and drink heavily -or-
3. they become just as passive agressive, and miserable to deal with as the locals. Always killing the messenger because they don't like the message.

As you have seen from some of the responses here (e.g ones that say in a nutshell don't come we don't want you, or the ones that launch personal attacks on the poster because they don't like the message) this will be what you will have to deal with both personally and professionally everyday. Once the novelty of Seattle wears off it will end up grating you to your last nerve.

Last edited by shoegal111; 07-10-2009 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 PM

74 posts, read 307,111 times
Native New Yorker here now living in the Seattle area the last 1 1/2 years. Grew up on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and resided there for first 40 years of my life. Don't regret the move at all. Time for a change was way over due. New York now is not the same city I grew up in; it's now a big over-priced shopping mall - you can get that anywhere in the country for a lot cheaper. I am very happy to have traded the crowds and insanity for the beauty of the Pacific Northwest. Still have friends and family back their if I need a "fix." Very close to Vancouver, BC which is a great city to visit.

Freeze, if it exists, doesn't bother me much since I tend to be a loner anyway. If you do decide to come out this way feel free to send me a message. I am a pizza fanatic and I happen to know a pizza store owned by a guy who relocated here from Queens. I do miss being able to pick up my phone and get chinese food delivered late at night though :-).

Old 07-10-2009, 09:43 PM

328 posts, read 839,263 times
Dude
I'm sure you're aware, some opinions expressed here will be on the positive, others will be towards the negative. A wise person I know would say "the truth is always some where in the middle". Yes we have a "passive-aggressive" element here, but there are plenty of us here who will also "tell you to your face". Food, culture, one's threshold for expenses, etc is all subjective - the best judge for you is you.

Should you make this move? I don't know. If you want something slower than NYC, Seattle could be for you. But just because some one else has had a some what less than desirable experience here doesn't mean you will.

Keep reading, come visit (several trips in all seasons), and do your homework. I'm sure you will arrive at the decision best for you. Not everyone from the East Coast thinks badly of Seattle. My partner is from New York and still loves it here after THIRTY years. We were just back there in May visiting family. We are glad to be back home!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Gee, I didn't know that the west coast had cornered the market on eating fresh fruits and vegetables, fish and wine. Seems to me we have those things on the east coast and consume them on a regular basis.
At least we don't have to eat out to get the fresh veggies and fish. I have heard it from many a new yorker who's moved here that they are astounded at the quality for the price.

By the way, did I read your post wrong, ... or am I reading into it too much, when I think you basically said you don't live in Seattle or used to but don't anymore? If so, ... why are you trolling here?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Hmm, Bumbershoot, Turkfest, Chinese NY, Asian festival, Gay pride, just about every ethnic festival hosted at Seattle Center, Seafair, firemans competition-need I go on- I went to them all year after year.. Did you hear me say anything about NYC having the best pizza? Uhm, I don't think so. I said that Seattle does not have good pizza- that's it. I worked there and lived there. Eat at hundreds of restaurants because I had to entertain clients. The italian food was passable but that's it.
Again I urge you to try Al Boccalino. Basically if you don't like that place, you don't like Italian food. The owner should know how to make it ... he's from Naples and his wife (coworker?) is from Sicily.

I won't argue that there is a shortage of good Italian places, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

And it's one thing to tour the city on the company's dime to entertain clients. It's completely another to live there.

Quote:
As for the "*********r neighbor/high paced A-type" at least New Yorkers will do it to your face if they do it and not behind your back like Seattlites will in their cowardly passive-agressive manner and at least NYers aren't hung up on getting into everyone's business and dictating how they live their lives with stupid laws. And at least East Coaster A-type personalities take time off to do something other than beat the crap out out their vendors and snub their customers and hide behind computers to do it. They also don;t find online dating to be a primary source of meeting someone-it's considered a last resort which is the opposite of Seattle.

Sorry, no apologies for crappy pizza.
This is exactly why I ask whether you live here or not. Seattleites take sun days and go out on the lake, hiking, to the festivals during our GLORIOUS summers (like it was today), or go to a game, or see a show, etc etc. We have to - it's downright depressing during the rain season.

Online dating a primary way of dating in Seattle? OH THE LULZ! News to me. Nobody I know has found dates primarily online. Met a few but compare that to the dozens I dated before marrying, whom I met IRL without going online first.

You should just take your terrible attitude elsewhere. This is the EXACT type of person Seattleites hate. The very "Oh this is just a small town, this sucks and this blows and blah blah blah blah" mentality. You don't come to anyplace with that attitude and expect a warm welcome, it's not just relegated to Seattle.

Don't like it? Well ... sorry, not everyone can be "capitol of the world" ... At the very least do your homework before bashing Seattle, against Seattleites ... what are you trying to prove anyway?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Try it! You might like it. Do it before getting hitched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: