U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 03:05 PM

70 posts, read 167,728 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family (wife and infant) are going to be in Seattle for 5 days at the end of the month. We are staying at the Mayflower hotel.

Keeping in mind that we have an infant, I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions on things to do, places to eat (in particular a seafood restaurant suggestion), etc? We are planning on taking in the baseball game on the 29th. But other than that, our schedule is pretty much wide open. Also, what is the "big mall" - being from Canada, I am sure this will be on my wife's list of things to do.

Also, is Seattle any good for public transit? Is it expensive? I am debating whether I rent a car and pay the parking fees - which would be required if there are things to do very far from the Mayflower anyway.

Thanks all for any input you may have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 PM

141 posts, read 402,370 times
I just visited Seattle and there is SO MUCH to do. For seafood, I recommend Elliott's Oyster Bar during happy hour. It's a really nice place with great service, you get to sit on the water while eating super cheap seafood (though if it's not on the happy hour menu, it's moderately priced) and it's right next to the ferry entrance - I recommend taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island. It's a great ride, cheaper than the touristy cruises, and if you look over the edge at the pier near where they have the cars line up on the island, you can see a bunch of sea life. Also right near the entrance is Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe - they have shrunken heads and mummies, though it is kind of sick and disrespectful how they have them displayed the way they do. Also within walking distance is Pike Place Market - a must do while in Seattle (be sure to stop by Pike Place Chowder.)

I also enjoyed walking around the Queen Anne neighborhood and looking at the city from Kerry Park, located in Queen Anne. Other great views are from Alki Beach, Gasworks Park (another must do), and the Volunteer Park water tower - free until 9pm. Also in Volunteer Park is a conservatory, a museum (I forget which), and Lakeview Cemetary (where Bruce Lee and his son are buried.)

As for stores to visit, there's the Nordstrom flagship store, though it's basically like any other Nordstrom store.

There's Pioneer Square, a historic district rebuilt after the Great Fire. Located there is Dry Soda's headquarters, featuring a free soda tasting weekdays until 5pm. There's also the Klondike Gold Rush Museum, also free, featuring a tour of Pioneer Square at 2pm.

There's lots of gardens to explore - Woodland Park Rose Garden, the Kubota Garden, there's apparently a waterfall garden in Pioneer Square, Bellevue Botanical Garden, Olympic Sculpture Gardens and the Washington Park Arboretum at UW. There's also a lot of museums in Seattle, including the Nordic Heritage Museum (a lot cooler than the website makes it sound to be) and the Experience Music Project/Science Fiction Hall of Fame (you can take the monorail right into there.) Also on Sundays the Center for Wooden Boats has a free public sail from 2-4pm.

I also recommend renting a car and driving out to Mt. Rainier for the day, though it's somewhat dangerous driving - lots of wildlife to avoid.

As for food, besides Elliot's Oyster Bar, I also highly recommend Unicorn Crepes in the international district - one of the highlights of the trip, actually. Also in International District is Uwajimaya - an asian store that could be fun to wander around. Another place that people highly recommend (that I didn't make it to) is Armandino's Salumi (I guess it's been on Anthony Bourdain.) A little gem I found was Tacos el Asadero, AMAZING food for really cheap. I also had Dick's recommended to me by a bunch of Seattlites (is that what they call them?) for burgers, and while I was skeptical, they actually are really good.

There's also the 5th Avenue Theater tour Mondays at noon.

Last edited by treat; 07-23-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 AM

5 posts, read 8,977 times
Transit in Seattle is fairly good. Most neighborhoods within the city limits are accessible from downtown by bus, although sometimes you have to make a transfer from one bus to another. Off-peak adult fares are $1.75, and peak fares are $2.00. Cash is always accepted. You can also swing by a Bartell Drugs location and buy (cash only) a booklet of passes so you don't have to carry as much cash around. Day passes (unltd. rides for a day) are $4, weekends and holidays only. This link has all the details in a nutshell: What and How to Pay on Metro Transit (http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/fare/fare-info.html#regday - broken link)

On the other hand, it might be easier to rent a car, walk if you're staying near downtown, and drive if you're going farther out. The airport is a long-ish bus ride from downtown, and having an infant and luggage to worry about might be a hassle.

For seafood, I'm partial to Ray's Cafe. Also, the Columbia Center observation deck is just $5; go inside the lobby and ask the security guard for details.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM

10,878 posts, read 18,730,634 times
I second the recommendation of a ride on the ferry. The Bremerton run is longer (about an hour) than the Bainbridge triip (35 mintues from cast off to tie up). They are perfect for traveling with a little one. The onboard cafe serves breakfast and lunch type dishes, coffee and wine. I don't know what is availabe at at the Bremerton terminal but if you take that trip look up on the hill behind the fish farm and wave, our home is along the ridge.

On the Bainbridge side exit the terminal and follow the signs to the "Walkabout", a path that will take you to a park near the community center (I hesitate to call Bainbridge a city). There are a lot of cutsie shops in Winslow. I like Dock's for lunch, in this weather sit outside and look over the marina.

Enjoy Seattle.

My favorite place to take out of towners is Ivar's Salmon House near the University. A bit out of the way but well worth the trip.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,565,757 times
Nell Plotts is right about Ivar's. The Salmon House on Lake Union ( near the UW) is far better than the one on the downtown central waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area