Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 PM

162 posts, read 513,470 times

Advertisements

I do not live in Seattle, but rather Portland, Oregon, which more or less has the same climate. Before anyone jumps on me, I must state that I love living here and wouldnt want to live anywhere else, but I think I understand what the OP is saying.

However, the one thing I argue is it ISNT the winter which gets to Seattleites. I consider Winter late November til about mid March and lets face it, in any northern city be it Boston, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit etc. the weather is miserable during this time. When you put Seattle up against these cities during this time, the weather really isnt that bad, its actually much warmer temperature wise even. When you consider how far north Seattle lies, you would come to the conclusion "of course its miserable during this time, due to its latitude."

What gets to some people living in the northwest ISNT winter, but rather it is the fact that mid March comes and in some of the cities mentioned above, the weather starts to get nicer, but will stay gray and rainy in Seattle til mid or even late June. Thus, my theory is the winter is really no big deal to Seattleites, but rather the lack of a spring. Mid March through Mid June do have some nice days, but lets face it, it is still very grey and rainy during this time, with some years like this one being an exception.

Northwesteners typically have to wait til late June to get the consistent sunshine and warm temperatures and its a long wait, so of course people will complain.

I personally dont mind it, but some do and I understand that. Its a pretty old topic, but is to Seattle what Jazz is to New Orleans, a popular association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Neal2009 -

Your post is EXACTLY right. I'm very anxious to leave here and move to our retirement property in SE Arizona - but I have to say in all honesty that it's not the winter that gets to me so much as the fact that it takes FOREVER for it to warm up - and once it does warm up, it doesn't last long enough. Summers here are USUALLY very nice (though I would like them a bit warmer) but they are just too darned short (and every few years seem not to arrive at all). The fact is, both winter and summer weather are relatively short seasons in Seattle - but spring and fall seem to last forever (especially spring when I'm anxious for warm weather to arrive again). It just seems to take FOREVER for it to get sunny and warm - and then its stay is all too brief.

Ken

Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Summer not being my favorite season I would say that summers in Seattle are just the right length, and I have to say that as much as I've enjoyed this summer so far, I sure wish we would get some rain...and I am not looking forward to the next week or so as it is going to be too darn hot!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 PM

328 posts, read 839,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Summer not being my favorite season I would say that summers in Seattle are just the right length, and I have to say that as much as I've enjoyed this summer so far, I sure wish we would get some rain...and I am not looking forward to the next week or so as it is going to be too darn hot!
My sentiments exactly!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Yes, these type of threads pop up regularly. Bottom line, there is a great population in the northern hemisphere, especially in Europe, that thrives in this type of climate. It really isn't that bad. I will admit that natives probably can deal with it better, as they grew up with it (as I did), but some natives like to complain, and even within that group some like to complain so that others will stay away. I know, a weird concept, but alive and well in the NW.

Some need sunshine, that is all well and good. Others can deal with the clouds and dark, (and some even are comforted by it, I know strange). The truth is, the gloom and dark only last 2-3 months, and the rest of the year is much like anywhere else in the northern tier. Summers make up for a lot ground, especially if you have experienced southeast, or gulf coast climates during this season. A foreign concept, but summer in those areas act almost like winter does in the NW. You want to stay indoors!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 AM

46 posts, read 129,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post

What gets to some people living in the northwest ISNT winter, but rather it is the fact that mid March comes and in some of the cities mentioned above, the weather starts to get nicer, but will stay gray and rainy in Seattle til mid or even late June. Thus, my theory is the winter is really no big deal to Seattleites, but rather the lack of a spring. Mid March through Mid June do have some nice days, but lets face it, it is still very grey and rainy during this time, with some years like this one being an exception.
I think you're right. The month with the most suicides in Seattle is April. I wouldn't be surprised if that is because, by April, it's been raining a solid 7-8 months and spring still hasn't arrived.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM

145 posts, read 645,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post

at least it's cloudy this morning. and it's a gorgeous morning i might add!!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames34 View Post
at least it's cloudy this morning. and it's a gorgeous morning i might add!!
I agree it is a gorgeous morning!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweeby View Post
I think you're right. The month with the most suicides in Seattle is April. I wouldn't be surprised if that is because, by April, it's been raining a solid 7-8 months and spring still hasn't arrived.
I'm curious, where do you get your stats that break it down by month?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 PM

14 posts, read 26,223 times
You've never been to the Mexican/Arizona border? I wore body armor and carried a 10mm Glock (made a documentary.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area