Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 14,493 times

Advertisements

Hi.

Relocating to the greater Seattle area for work. Originally from Seattle, however, haven't lived here in ages! Still have a home to sell where we're coming from so we have rented a town home in the Issaquah Highlands within walking distance of the Grand Ridge Elementary School.

I have two daughters age 2 (three at the end of August) and 5. The 5 year old will be going into kindergarten this fall. We'll miss school registration tomorrow but will be there on Aug. 10th for the next session.

With the administrative office closed otherwise, I'm trying to get some idea of the following:

My wife and I will both be working and I understand the kindergarten is only half day. Is there a before and after school program there at the school?

If not, is there busing to any day care facilities (we're familar with Le Petite and Kindercare) in the immediate area?

The two aforementioned child care facilties are costly (at least to me they are). Are there any other options in the area that other parents are using?

I appreciate the help! Thanks!

Last edited by Indian Scout; 07-22-2009 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
I was just looking into this recently (we live in the Highlands as well), and I'm pretty sure Grand Ridge has a full day kindergarten, but it's hard to get into (I think there's a waiting list), and there might be extra fees associated with it. I could be wrong about that, we researched a lot of schools.

There's a Montessori school up here in the highlands Lakeside Montessori you could look into. Lakeside Montessori: Building Intellect, Creativity & Character — Issaquah and Sammamish, WA

I've been recently looking for childcare, and part time is upwards of $1,000/month at established preschools, so childcare is super costly up here.

V. =)

Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Grand Ridge's full day kindergarten is currently being serviced at Sunny Hills Elementary for the 2009-2010 school year. They will be bused there. IH has a lot of young families so it is possible that GR will always have an issue with having enough space in full day K. That being said, Elem 15 is set to open for the 2010-2011 school year and that should alleviate crowding the Plateau as many GR families will be re-routed to Sunny Hills, though I don't know if it will impact GR K needs that much due to the demographics of the immediate area. BTW, Sunny Hills is a terrific elem school on the Plateau...one of the best among best...so it's not an issue from that standpoint of having to go there.

Don't know much about childcare other than it is expensive for full day. My friend whose son was at GR in half day did have a program he went to after his morning K just to extend his day a bit so I know there are options...it's just pieced together and I don't believe it was offered through the school.

You also could consider the full day Kindergarten program at Sammamish Christian School. Great K program and would be less expensive than day care. Maybe about $600 per month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area