Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,751 times

Advertisements

Will be relocating to Seattle in the very near future and have started the search for a rental home online through the usual sites. Problem is I do not know the good vs. bad neighborhoods. List of attributes of what I am looking for are as follows;

1. Nice area where you are not afraid to walk your dog after dark!
2. Can be a mix of families and DINK's (as we are) in our early 40's.
3. Close to parks and such where I can walk my dog.
4. Just want to be that type of neighborhood that when you are outside cutting the grass or raking leaves, neighbors will actually acknowledge you and say hello!
5. I will be working near the Space Needle (4th Ave N and Broad St) and will be taking public transit so would like to limit time to 30-45 minute commute.
6. Have about $1500/mnth for 2-3 bdrm 2 bath house. (could possibly go to $1600)

Any "serious" suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,258,328 times
You would probably like the North end of Mercer Island. We have great bus service to Seattle and the Eastside. Downtown Seattle is only 10 minutes away and counting walking and waiting it takes about 30 minutes.

There are lots of parks and the whole island is very safe. Use google map satellite view to get a bird's eye view. Dogs off leash are allowed in most places as long as they are under voice control, something you'll not find in Seattle outside of a few specific off-leash dog parks.

I did a quick craigslist search and found a 3 br 1 ba house for $1395. Looking at the pictures it's probably on the North end. Home on Mercer Island (http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/apa/1285487862.html - broken link)

Old 07-23-2009, 05:34 PM

132 posts, read 340,377 times
I have no idea that you can rent a house on Mercer Island for $1395.

If you can get onto the island within the budget, go for it. It is as nice as it can get around here.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,520,053 times
Default Ups and downs

Quote:
6. Have about $1500/mnth for 2-3 bdrm 2 bath house. (could possibly go to $1600)
I have to start here, because you are probably not going to find a house for this in Seattle, in any neighborhood that fits your other criteria. You probably would have to go to an apartment, and even then, it might be difficult. Still, back to your other criteria:
Quote:
1. Nice area where you are not afraid to walk your dog after dark!
2. Can be a mix of families and DINK's (as we are) in our early 40's.
3. Close to parks and such where I can walk my dog.
4. Just want to be that type of neighborhood that when you are outside cutting the grass or raking leaves, neighbors will actually acknowledge you and say hello!
5. I will be working near the Space Needle (4th Ave N and Broad St) and will be taking public transit so would like to limit time to 30-45 minute commute.
Almost any area in North Seattle, including Westlake, Eastlake, Queen Anne, Fremont, Phinny Ridge, Wallingford, etc. Wallingford and Phinny Ridge are probably pretty close to your descriptions.

Realize there will be some blocks where you still want to be careful. It isn't Mayberry, which is why we're out here, lookin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area