Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 11:58 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
In some(or even many) ways, Seattle and San Francisco are very similar to each other, and in other ways not as much. I dont see them as "very different" cities. I do seem them as different cities in some ways. Theyre both great cities. I think I like them equally. I can see myself living happily in Seattle or San Francisco the rest of my life, but Im sure there are others who many not even like neither of the cities. This can be true about any place.

I dont understand why someone would see San Francisco as so much better than Seattle or someone seeing Seattle so much better than San Francisco, unless its related to their personal preferences. Its doesnt mean everyone will think one particular place is "so much better" than another place.

Personally, I like to see a place for all the great things that place offers. I usually dont like to compare places in a competitive way and devaluate certain positive things about a particular place when I compare it with another place, especially a smaller city compared to a larger city and make a certain place that has certain good things about it sound like it sucks compared to another place. Its still a good thing for someone to see the good things a place offers and the more negative things.

There are definitely some places where it would be very hard for me to say anything positive about based on my personal preferences for what I want in a place (Some examples: Las Vegas, Nevada, Phoenix, Arizona, The state of Arkansas, Gary, Indiana ) , but Seattle and San Francisco are definitely two places I see being great in a lot of ways and I think many people would agree about that, even if one person infinitely prefers one of those places over the other one.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im surprised some people think everything closes early in Seattle. I know places that close at 10pm-midnight or later.
Hmm interesting that we agree so often. Makes me wonder sometimes. Anyway, I say they're similar perhaps for the same reasons you do. In a "relative sense" yes they are. I would say Seattle has the most in common with SF when compared to; LA, SD. Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans so yeah I am serious when I say that for that poster who asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
To Gentoo:

I agree that we agree often. I wonder if there was anything on the city-data forums we didnt agree on. haha

Seattle definitely has the most in common to San Francisco compared to those cities you mentioned and probably any other major city in America. What major cities in America are more similar to Seattle than San Francisco!? Maybe Portland, Oregon, but San Francisco might be more similar to Seattle than even Portland. Seattle and San Francisco are still definitely different in a lot of ways, at the same time.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
To Gentoo:

I agree that we agree often. I wonder if there was anything on the city-data forums we didnt agree on. haha

Seattle definitely has the most in common to San Francisco compared to those cities you mentioned and probably any other major city in America. What major cities in America are more similar to Seattle than San Francisco!? Maybe Portland, Oregon, but San Francisco might be more similar to Seattle than even Portland. Seattle and San Francisco are still definitely different in a lot of ways, at the same time.
I agree with you once again. One reason I love Seattle is because it's so similar to the Bay Area (Oakland and Berkeley even more than SF) but it's still different enough to be unique.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 AM

I agree, yet again.

I love both places equally.

Do you love the Bay area, but dislike the Los Angeles area, Orange county, and the San Diego area, or do you still like certain things about the LA area, OC, and SD area? I love most of the Bay area , dislike most of the LA area but like some areas of it, like/dont like the OC at the same time, and like certain areas of the San Diego area while not liking other areas in it.

Overall, though, Washington state, California, and New York state are tied for my favorite states in America.

There seem to be a lot of Californians that love the Northwest, even though sometimes it may seem like most/no Californians dont. haha

Old 06-22-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I agree, yet again.

I love both places equally.

Do you love the Bay area, but dislike the Los Angeles area, Orange county, and the San Diego area, or do you still like certain things about the LA area, OC, and SD area? I love most of the Bay area , dislike most of the LA area but like some areas of it, like/dont like the OC at the same time, and like certain areas of the San Diego area while not liking other areas in it.

Overall, though, Washington state, California, and New York state are tied for my favorite states in America.

There seem to be a lot of Californians that love the Northwest, even though sometimes it may seem like most/no Californians dont. haha
It depends on what criteria are used when I'm talking about what I like. I'll get San Diego out of the way first. Don't care much for SD. The people don't impress me and I dislike the weather. LA is cool people wise. OC is off my radar. I love most of the Bay Area, especially the east bay.

A lot of Californians don't like the northwest. However a lot have never been there either so they are "guessing" on what the PNW is like based on what they've heard. A lot that have gone there ended up moving there. there are plenty of remarks here in the Seattle forum about the number of Californians who've moved there.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 AM

Its interesting that you have such a different view of the people in the Los Angeles area vs. the San Diego. What do you think is the difference for you for why you dont like the people in general in San Diego but like the people in general in the LA area? Are the people in general different between both those cities?

I think I like/dont like the weather in Southern California at the same time. I really dont understand why so many people seem to make Southern California sound like it has "perfect year round" weather, ESPECIALLY the more inland areas of the LA area and San Diego area where the vast majority of the people live.

Oh haha. Thats strange. I thought there were a lot of Californians who did love the Northwest(even though sometimes it seems like many dont). Maybe there are a lot of Californians who love/like the Northwest and also a lot of Californians who hate/dont like the Northwest. I went to California for a week trip in February 2009 all over the coast and when I talked about the Northwest with certain people there, they all had high opinions about it and didnt say anything negative about it, especially for how they perceived Seattle.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Hey guys, I think you're falling in love with each other.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Its interesting that you have such a different view of the people in the Los Angeles area vs. the San Diego. What do you think is the difference for you for why you dont like the people in general in San Diego but like the people in general in the LA area? Are the people in general different between both those cities?

I think I like/dont like the weather in Southern California at the same time. I really dont understand why so many people seem to make Southern California sound like it has "perfect year round" weather, ESPECIALLY the more inland areas of the LA area and San Diego area where the vast majority of the people live.

Oh haha. Thats strange. I thought there were a lot of Californians who did love the Northwest(even though sometimes it seems like many dont). Maybe there are a lot of Californians who love/like the Northwest and also a lot of Californians who hate/dont like the Northwest. I went to California for a week trip in February 2009 all over the coast and when I talked about the Northwest with certain people there, they all had high opinions about it and didnt say anything negative about it, especially for how they perceived Seattle.
Remember, I'm inSan Diego. People here don't have much positive to say about other places which is one reason why they bother me. It takes a while to get to know SD. LA people are just different in this regard.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Hey guys, I think you're falling in love with each other.
Now it's your turn.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 AM

To Gentoo: I did meet a few people from San Diego who had positive things to say about other places, but you are right that are some people like that there, and they seem to automatically not like a place if it ever gets cold, wet, cloudy, doesnt have beaches, mountains, and some big buildings.

To Movingwiththewind:

By the way, how long did you live in New York City before moving to Vancouver? I lived there for 18 years haha I lived in Seattle for 4 months.

How do you feel about Portland, Oregon?

Last edited by ; 06-22-2010 at 03:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area