Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 PM

8 posts, read 21,550 times

Advertisements

In January me and my husband are moving to Seattle. We plan on starting out temporarily with a short term lease in a pet-friendly apartment within at least 30 minutes of the city. We need to keep things cheap (as possible) until we get settled and find where we'd like to live in the city itself.

I've been browsing Craigslist and wondering which area we should be looking at to start out in. North or South of Seattle? I've driven through both areas, but I had no time to really know what's there.

We are young, no children, would like to have some access to restaurants/ activities. I don't expect there to be much in the 'burbs- but I'm just wondering what the general opinion is out there on the different areas outside of the city.

Another issue is that a friend without a car may also be staying with us temporarily. Is there more access to public transit south of Seattle?

I'm originally from San Francisco, so I know how different the outer-lying areas of a city can be. I'm just wondering if the suburbs of Seattle are as different as the bay areas are?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:38 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,280 times
Given your situation I would start out in Tukwila, Burien, or Renton. All those cities have suburban amenities, public transportation, and relatively cheap rent.

I lived in the Bay Area too. It's much more spread out than Seattle. When I lived in Sunnyvale, going to SF was kind of an all day thing. In the Seattle area, everyone has pretty easy access to the city so it's not so much different from one area to another.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I have my doubts about Tukwila ( bit too mall oriented), but I'd agree with la fuerza about Renton and Burien. Both Burien and Renton have downtowns that have and are continuing to improve with good places to eat and drink, lower rents, and pretty easy access to downtown Seattle. Renton has the advantage of also having good bus access to downtown Bellevue, another major employment center.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the responses. From reading this and other threads on this board I get the general feeling that Renton has the best transit into the city. Is this true?

So what's going on in Kent? I see it pop up on my apartment searches. Any opinions on Kent?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Kent is another one of those places that has a bad reputation that's mostly undeserved. It's a little further from Renton ( and Seattle) but it has the Sounder Commuter train from Kent Station ( downtown Kent) into downtown Seattle, which is quick and pleasant, but there are only a few of them per day. Kent also has buses into Seattle. Kent does have some bad areas, but also some very nice ones, and has lots of shopping and restaurants. it's also pretty diverse, so you can get things like Indian buffets, Ukranian candy,Greek food, and tacos from a truck.
Renton's a little more convenient in it's closeness to both Seattle and to the eastside( Bellevue, etc.),
I wouldn't rule out Kent, I just prefer Renton..it has a big public outdoor swimming pool, it's on Lake Washington, has good hiking trails, and some wonderful restaurants.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM

That's really useful information Ira500- I was just lamenting with my husband that when we leave our current location we won't have access to many pools! Not that I really mind. I'll trade the hot, sunny weather I live in for Seattle's beautiful northern grey anytime. Access to hiking trails is important to me too.

Taco trucks! Yes! I was just planning on giving up on tacos in Seattle.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM

Have you got taco trucks in Columbus, Mississippi?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM

No! There is a whole lot of nothing in Columbus, MS. It should be avoided at all costs. I'm here because my husband is Air Force, and I'm completing my Bachelors degree for dirt cheap. My husband is done with his Air Force enlistment as of January, so we're moving to Seattle.

I lived in the San Francisco mission district for 7+ years, so I'm a big taco truck fan. From my 3 visits to Seattle I assumed it was the best place for Asian style food, and kind of weak on any version of Mexican food. I went crazy in the Uwajimaya food court. Pad Thai, red bean buns, and pork buns! Being stuck in the woods for years makes you a glutton around food you've missed for years.

Last edited by 09Gala74; 08-05-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Gala74 View Post
No! There is a whole lot of nothing in Columbus, MS. It should be avoided at all costs. I'm here because my husband is Air Force, and I'm completing my Bachelors degree for dirt cheap. My husband is done with his Air Force enlistment as of January, so we're moving to Seattle.

I lived in the San Francisco mission district for 7+ years, so I'm a big taco truck fan. From my 3 visits to Seattle I assumed it was the best place for Asian style food, and kind of weak on any version of Mexican food. I went crazy in the Uwajimaya food court. Pad Thai, red bean buns, and pork buns! Being stuck in the woods for years makes you a glutton around food you've missed for years.
As a native Californian, I was surprised by all the taco trucks and Mexican food up here. The best taco truck we've found is on 45th in Wallingford in the Winchell's parking lot!

V. =)

Old 08-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Renton has quite a few taco trucks.. some of which are great. I always like the ones that have items that I'd never order, but are marks of authenticity, like brain tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area