Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:15 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times

Advertisements

It looks like Seattle is taking a step in the right direction. Portland started it. Now Seattle is doing. More cities need to do this. Here is where I got the article:Local News | Seattle to gain electric car charging stations | Seattle Times Newspaper
BTW, that is a typo on the top. It is car-charging stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,314,878 times
The Obama administration is considering a subsidy to add electric car or hybrid car charging stations in your own home. That could spur more of these to happen. Regardless of whether you think that electric cars really are the way to go or not, it's inevitable and I think we're moving back to the days of when cars were first invented, there was steam, electric, and gas engines all with about equal share of the market. Eventually gas won out because of its inherent utility and ease of extraction.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 PM

271 posts, read 1,231,619 times
I hope the drivers that park and recharge at these charges are also ripped of by the high parking fees/taxes.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
I hope the drivers that park and recharge at these charges are also ripped of by the high parking fees/taxes.
Why would you hope for something like that? I think the electric car-charging stations should be expanded all over the nation, to give people options.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Why would you hope for something like that? I think the electric car-charging stations should be expanded all over the nation, to give people options.
Why should a person who can spend $50k on electric car be exempt paying parking fees/taxes?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
Why should a person who can spend $50k on electric car be exempt paying parking fees/taxes?
Why would you hope someone gets ripped off by parking fees? I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,493,759 times
I remember configuring car charging stations back in the 70's. Co-workers had a whole section of the parking lot at work (Colorado). We made ~ 10 of them from Simcas, Cortinas, MG's and Triumphs, and a couple VWs.

bout time we upgraded the PNW region

I'd say make a 'EV-Pusher' lots cheaper than $50k, maybe $5k
EV Pusher | MrSharkey.Com (Probably cheaper than each charging station will be.... but we will need more parking

Old 08-17-2009, 05:12 PM

317 posts, read 1,086,442 times
I'm not in favor of the electric vehicle charging stations.

My reason is simple: I don't see how it is efficient to burn fossil fuels at a generating plant to produce electricity, transport the electricity across the state/nation to the city, charge a battery, discharge a battery, and use the remaining electricity to power an electric motor. Energy is converted to heat (waste) at every one of these stages.

A lot of people point out that automotive engines are very inefficient. That is true. The efficiency of any sort of heat engine (gas turbine, internal combustion engine, combined cycle, etc) is limited to nothing better than the Carnot cycle and a significant amount of energy is wasted as heat. This is true whether the fuel is burned in a car or at a remote location.

All electric vehicles do today is cause the burning of fossil fuel to a place that is out of sight, out of mind.

(With that said, electric vehicle technology combined with increased hydro, nuclear, solar, or other types of electricity that do not generate emissions is very good. What I'm saying is that simply using our existing infrastructure and fossil fuel powered generating stations to charge electric cars is not beneficial.)

Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 PM

An electric car that is charged while parked is fine, but it isn't charged by magical fairy dust like the Seattle/US government wishes you'd believe.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
I'm not in favor of the electric vehicle charging stations.

My reason is simple: I don't see how it is efficient to burn fossil fuels at a generating plant to produce electricity, transport the electricity across the state/nation to the city, charge a battery, discharge a battery, and use the remaining electricity to power an electric motor. Energy is converted to heat (waste) at every one of these stages.

A lot of people point out that automotive engines are very inefficient. That is true. The efficiency of any sort of heat engine (gas turbine, internal combustion engine, combined cycle, etc) is limited to nothing better than the Carnot cycle and a significant amount of energy is wasted as heat. This is true whether the fuel is burned in a car or at a remote location.

All electric vehicles do today is cause the burning of fossil fuel to a place that is out of sight, out of mind.

(With that said, electric vehicle technology combined with increased hydro, nuclear, solar, or other types of electricity that do not generate emissions is very good. What I'm saying is that simply using our existing infrastructure and fossil fuel powered generating stations to charge electric cars is not beneficial.)
If it is possible to do all of that, which it is, why not just do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: