Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:27 PM

129 posts, read 492,045 times

Advertisements

I want to know who loves Seattle and living in it. Are you a native or a transplant? If you were a transplant, was it love at first sight or did it grow on you?

And what do you like about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,316,494 times
I love Seattle and it was pretty much love at first sight. Here's why: my friends I made here, and the opportunities to get involved. The rest grew on me, the laid back (OK sometimes lazy, but at least people don't kill themselves for work like they do on the East coast and parts of the Midwest) atmosphere, the beautiful scenery, beautiful summers, the awesome coffee, the unique vibe that the people give off, unique neighborhoods, the crazy artists that do still thrive here, the quirky nature, and the in general intelligent nature of the professional workforce here.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 AM

947 posts, read 1,635,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aek11 View Post
I want to know who loves Seattle and living in it. Are you a native or a transplant? If you were a transplant, was it love at first sight or did it grow on you?

And what do you like about it?
I was a transplant, love the city for it's cleanliness and beautiful views, hated the city after 6 months because of the natives "Seattle Freeze".

As far as the crazy killer work style of the east coast v. Seattle that eskercurve speaks of, well, here was my experience, the natives were very laid back but tended to beat the crap out of the vendors/suppliers who worked harded and longer than I have ever seen anyone ever on the east coast. Some worked themselves into a heart attack-literally and others at the very least to very high blood pressure.

And I'll add one more piece of info for those that don't believe in the "Freeze", etc. from a transplant. My ancestor is none other than the pioneer Fremont and as one of his decendents I was very disappointed that the Pioneer spirit which is to help one other and be neighborly and friendly has been long forgotten.

Last edited by shoegal111; 07-19-2009 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: added a sentence

Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,032,946 times
I am a native Seattleite and have lived and worked all over the US and in more than a dozen foreign countries...and I would not live anywhere else!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,032,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
I was a transplant, love the city for it's cleanliness and beautiful views, hated the city after 6 months because of the natives "Seattle Freeze".

As far as the crazy killer work style of the east coast v. Seattle that eskercurve speaks of, well, here was my experience, the natives were very laid back but tended to beat the crap out of the vendors/suppliers who worked harded and longer than I have ever seen anyone ever on the east coast. Some worked themselves into a heart attack-literally and others at the very least to very high blood pressure.

And I'll add one more piece of info for those that don't believe in the "Freeze", etc. from a transplant. My ancestor is none other than the pioneer Fremont and as one of his decendents I was very disappointed that the Pioneer spirit which is to help one other and be neighborly and friendly has been long forgotten.
Please don't ruin this thread with you constant references the the alleged "Seattle Freeze"

Thank you.

interpose: thanks, seattlerain. Any further reference to "the freeze" in this thread will be deleted. As what has happened before, we don't want multiple threads hijacked away from the main premise of a thread's opening post with those who want to pursue an agenda, no matter what that agenda might be. Multiple threads going simultaneously on the premise of "the freeze" is a disservice to our readership. Please keep all questions, debates, and discussions about "the freeze" in the dedicated thread. Thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-19-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 10:20 AM

328 posts, read 836,233 times
I'm a transplant from Texas.

I came here in August '90 on a pleasure trip and fell in love with the place. The first thing that got me was the mountans and trees. Coming from Texas, I'd never seen such a sight! Then going to sleep at night with the windows open and waking up snuggled in my bed (in August!) sold me. I had just left 98 degrees and 90% humidity in Houston and decided then, "NO MORE"! Made one more trip in January '91, just to round it out and experienced the rain and gloom - it was for me. Growing up where we had 300 plus days of sun a year, where summer started in April and ended in October, I wanted a complete change. Seattle was it.

To me , it's both cosmopolitan and provincial. It's well connected, but at the same time isolated. It feels big, but it feels small. It's clean but also gritty. I love the paradox. I love the green. I love the gray weather in the winter. And when the sun is out summer or winter - it's glorious!

I will some times think it's time to move on. But when i travel to points elsewhere, I always start itching to come home after a few days. When that plane makes it's final descent to Sea-Tac, and I see the mountains, the water, and the City, I know in my heart I am home. My partner and I will look at each other and say "There's our beloved village".

Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 AM

21 posts, read 69,251 times
I am moving to Seattle in less than a week. My husband is from there so I have visited often. It was love at first sight for me. It really is one of the most beautiful places. And so diverse. I can't wait to live there and experience everything it has to offer!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 12:56 PM

343 posts, read 1,082,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post

mod cut:

Anyway, to answer the poster's question, I'm a native, and of all the places I've traveled to, I sure wouldn't live anywhere else! I love the natural beauty, I love the climate (ack, 95 next Saturday though!), I love the people, I love the Storm, Sounders, Seahawks, and Mariners, and I even love how the local companies have a role in the community (BECU stepped up to sponsor Zoo Tunes, Alaska Airlines for the Torchlight Parade)!

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-19-2009 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: I agree but we don't want to bait another member into responding back in a hostile manner. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,236,894 times
I'm a long time transplant, having moved here in 1977. I love Seattle, but I don't love it as much as I did when I first got here. Maybe that's just a function of being old.. " Back in the old days we walked to school six miles up the hill in the rain, and we loved it."
But years ago Seattle was cheap, kind of run down, and really cool. Now it's become a little too self aware of it's own coolness.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:05 PM

343 posts, read 1,082,588 times
You know, I forgot to mention that I also like the "us against the world" mentality of Seattle. There is still an overwhelming view across the country that Seattle is, "that place that always rains where everyone drinks coffee". Seattle just seems to be largely ignored by the rest of the country, IMHO.

This cartoon from David Horsey of the P-I really describes it well:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/17...edad9d8a_o.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area