U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 PM

857 posts, read 3,950,542 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a week's vacation. When I left, just after the worst of the hot weather "broke", it was still in the upper 80s or low 90s.

Upon return, we noticed the trees are turning!! What the heck?!?!!

Seriously, the trees in Redmond are turning purple. Not brown-dead, but red, yellow, and purple. Autumn colors.

I like the rainy weather and fall colors and cooler temps, but, um, it's the first half of August. I'm confused!!!! What's going on? I've seen cool spells in other cities mid-summer, but nothing that triggered Autumn so quickly?? And I've always heard that August is basically a "guaranteed" summer month here.

What gives, is there a logical explanation?!

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-11-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 AM

8,534 posts, read 10,595,081 times
It's not even close to fall yet. The temperatures have been in the range 66-70, on Sunday it was 76, and it's gonna be hot next week so, I don't have any logical explanation

Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 AM

947 posts, read 1,522,290 times
The only thing I can think of is lack of water. Seattle has not had enough rain this year and with the heat it can cause tree leaves to turn. The question is are the colors yellows or reds? Yellows I believe can indicate a lack of moisture.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:46 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,680,837 times
Shoegal111 is right, the trees that are turning now are under stress due to lack of rain...it is not an indication of an early fall.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,140,265 times
Last year we had a week of rainy, colder weather right about this time in August. I thought summer was over but alas, it came back beautifully like the forecast says it will this year as well. I also noticed a bit of fall color in the hills.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 PM

857 posts, read 3,950,542 times
I remember that week last year, and how then it got "nice" again until October, so I wasn't too worried about the weather changing just yet. But I wonder now -- if the trees have begun the process -- if they will continue marching along in color changing, and be bare by sometime in September? Or if it will stop now that they're getting rain?

Shoegal, there is definitely a lot of red going on. The trees are doing exactly what they do in the fall. Reds, purples, yellows, oranges... not just yellow and brown. It's even starting at the tops of big trees, like in the fall.

I wonder if the big heat followed by cool rain has "tricked" them into starting early. I've just never seen a start this soon. I'm not too worried about it for me, but if I have to listen to people griping about the early fall / no summer (forgetting how warm May was) this year / no real fall for the next 10 months or so, I'm gonna be pissed.

Have you long-timers ever seen the red colors start so early, any idea if it will progress normally or maybe slow down as it warms back up???

Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
I remember that week last year, and how then it got "nice" again until October, so I wasn't too worried about the weather changing just yet. But I wonder now -- if the trees have begun the process -- if they will continue marching along in color changing, and be bare by sometime in September? Or if it will stop now that they're getting rain?

Shoegal, there is definitely a lot of red going on. The trees are doing exactly what they do in the fall. Reds, purples, yellows, oranges... not just yellow and brown. It's even starting at the tops of big trees, like in the fall.

I wonder if the big heat followed by cool rain has "tricked" them into starting early. I've just never seen a start this soon. I'm not too worried about it for me, but if I have to listen to people griping about the early fall / no summer (forgetting how warm May was) this year / no real fall for the next 10 months or so, I'm gonna be pissed.

Have you long-timers ever seen the red colors start so early, any idea if it will progress normally or maybe slow down as it warms back up???
What you are seeing is not uncommon at all during dry summers such as this summer has been.

Trees lose their leaves so that they don't desiccate... it is a mechanism of drought tolerance, and we are not going to see any widespread fall color until fall...I guarantee that the trees will not be bare by sometime in September!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM

17 posts, read 56,473 times
totally agree with seattlerain. this happens in CA every year. some species even lose their leaves altogether by mid summer to conserve moisture. temps are supposed to be back in the 80's by monday....

Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,758,523 times
Seattle tends to peak in late October and early November, with the Rocky Mountains, Upper Midwest, and New England much earlier.

Peak Fall Foliage Map

Notice the map says "droughts will cause peak a week earlier". Two months earlier???

Old 08-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Seattle tends to peak in late October and early November, with the Rocky Mountains, Upper Midwest, and New England much earlier.

Peak Fall Foliage Map

Notice the map says "droughts will cause peak a week earlier". Two months earlier???
Two months earlier?

Never...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: