Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 AM

368 posts, read 695,519 times

Advertisements

I haven't been a fan of Greg Nickels, and I think he's done more to destroy some of the neighborhood character in this city than any mayor in the recent past. Sure we're going to get more population, but he seemed to bend to whatever developers wanted without regard for the residents of Seattle. His environmental initiatives never seemed genuine to me, but just a PR tactic to counter him being the pocket of big business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
I too, am delighted to see him go.

And I just hated those campaign commercials of his where he trumpeted his commitment to *our* progressive values. If he's progressive, I'm getting off the train at the next station.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,048 times
I liked him okay but he didn't do enough to make residents feel safe. The city is teeming with bums. This affects tourism, desire to live downtown and other factors.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM

343 posts, read 1,084,971 times
I am also happy to see him go. He was in the pocket of developers for his entire time in office, and he let the Sonics leave for Oklahoma City. And then there was that whole December storm debacle.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Although Nickels is in third place in the vote, it's very close and he could potentially squeak through, make it to the general, and get re elected.
But yes, if he continues to stay in third place, he will have deserved that fate.
Neighborhoods deteriorate while he touts how wonderful he is for leading the effort for cities to sign on to the Kyoto protocol. Threatens department heads to not talk to council members. Fires the popular and effective head of the Dept of Neighborhoods. In the pocket of major developers while pretending to be progressive. I just love the guy, can you tell?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
I agree with most everyone else here - I'll be glad to see him go.
Not an effective leader in my opinion.

Ken

Old 08-20-2009, 06:13 PM

343 posts, read 1,084,971 times
Well, that's all she wrote folks. Nickels has called a press conference for 10:30 tomorrow morning. Mallahan all the way!

Local News | Nickels falls further behind; press conference set for Friday morning | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 PM

121 posts, read 338,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
I haven't been a fan of Greg Nickels, and I think he's done more to destroy some of the neighborhood character in this city than any mayor in the recent past. Sure we're going to get more population, but he seemed to bend to whatever developers wanted without regard for the residents of Seattle. His environmental initiatives never seemed genuine to me, but just a PR tactic to counter him being the pocket of big business.
I see these complaints about how Nickels has "destroyed the character of neighborhoods", but I have yet to see a convincing case about how Nickels' policy to encourage density has done this. Is there something specific you can point to? As someone who could never afford a house in this city, but have been able to afford a condo within walking distance of my work, I think the denser development has been a net plus for this city. I also think both Mallahan and the Mike "I bike" guy have policy views that are going to disappoint people who solely voted in the primary against Nickels. It's going to be an interesting general election for this city.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:07 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
McGinn, as I understand it, is going to do everything possible to de-rail the approved viaduct tunnel replacement. Which means, another decade of arguing. Is this what Seattle wants?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 PM

121 posts, read 338,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
McGinn, as I understand it, is going to do everything possible to de-rail the approved viaduct tunnel replacement. Which means, another decade of arguing. Is this what Seattle wants?
My guess is that McGinn is going to get steamrolled by Mallahan in the general election. Business will get behind him, and I think he'll win every neighborhood other than Capitol Hill.

I held my nose and voted for Nickels ("the devil you know. . .") but now I'll probably vote for Mallahan. I think McGinn's opposition to the tunnel would lead to the eventual replacement of the viaduct by an even larger elevated structure. The State has the last legal word on what replaces the Viaduct, and if they think the mayor of Seattle will break the tunnel agreement, WSDOT might just say to hell with it, and put a cheaper, barebones viaduct up. Hopefully, the voters will realize that the approved tunnel was a hard-fought compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area