Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 09:02 AM

368 posts, read 695,581 times

Advertisements

Not anti-tourist by any means, but it's so nice working in Pioneer Square when tourist season ends. No waiting in line at lunch and fighting for parking. You can go to the market again and actually be able to see the produce you want to buy. I'm amazed at how the cruise industry has ramped up here since it started, and how many people come off these ships. I wonder if that industry is hurting in this economy too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I worked on the late Waterfront Streetcar for many years, and I was always thrilled when tourist season ended. But don't worry: There's a big increase in senior groups visiting in September.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 AM

368 posts, read 695,581 times
Is the Waterfront Streetcar gone forever? I thought at one time it was supposed to come back.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Officially the waterfront streetcar is coming back. But it's not, and if it does it likely won't run on the waterfront and won't be back for ten or more years, and will only run maybe on weekends or holidays only.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:45 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,162 times
Yeah it's crazy how many people come off the ships. As a downtowner, I like it. I like knowing that my favorite businesses are flooded with customers even when I'm not around!

But it is annoying when I can't go out for dinner on the fly without any reservations. And I do look forward to the fall when I wake up to quiet streets and can enjoy a lazy, rainy Sunday now and then.

But then Christmas shopping season is right around the corner... We really do have 2 tourist seasons.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:12 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Yeah it's crazy how many people come off the ships. As a downtowner, I like it. I like knowing that my favorite businesses are flooded with customers even when I'm not around!

But it is annoying when I can't go out for dinner on the fly without any reservations. And I do look forward to the fall when I wake up to quiet streets and can enjoy a lazy, rainy Sunday now and then.

But then Christmas shopping season is right around the corner... We really do have 2 tourist seasons.
I'll be glad to be able to get thru the Market Place is short order as opposed to it taking forever. And I absolutely love Christmas time in the downtown. It's actually my favorite time of year in Seattle.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
I'll be glad to be able to get thru the Market Place is short order as opposed to it taking forever. And I absolutely love Christmas time in the downtown. It's actually my favorite time of year in Seattle.
We were at Pike Place Market today and it was still crowded as ever. I was sure that since kids are back to school almost everywhere else in the country that it would be dead there...nope!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
We were at Pike Place Market today and it was still crowded as ever. I was sure that since kids are back to school almost everywhere else in the country that it would be dead there...nope!
That's because tourist season is almost over not yet over. Cruise season ends I believe mid-Sept.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 PM

121 posts, read 338,057 times
The cruise ships have been great for downtown retail. I recently bought a pair of shoes at Nordstrom one evening, and the salesman asked me where I was from. I said "here," and he said "Wow, you're my first customer today from Seattle." He had helped only tourists up to that point. The daily work crowd also helps downtown's retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area