Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
LOL what you will see is lots of tattos and mutliple piercings. Outdoor activities sure to the point of being mindless - as in no other purpose in life - as in they like their toys better than they do other people. And still there is obesity everywhere! Oh and you forgot to mention the ubiquitus pot smoking.

Someone else mentioned lack of charitable giving - of course, most Seattlelites don't attend church and dain those that do. There is a correlation between faith activity and charitable giving.
I'd go to church if it didn't interfere with my snowboarding and pot smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:44 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
LOL what you will see is lots of tattos and mutliple piercings. Outdoor activities sure to the point of being mindless - as in no other purpose in life - as in they like their toys better than they do other people. And still there is obesity everywhere! Oh and you forgot to mention the ubiquitus pot smoking.

Someone else mentioned lack of charitable giving - of course, most Seattlelites don't attend church and dain those that do. There is a correlation between faith activity and charitable giving.
Yeah, Pot smoking is a-okay but cigarette smokers will be harrassed to no end.

I also got tired of being called a "Sucker" for trying to help the homeless and support charities that supported the homeless.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:50 PM

65 posts, read 143,019 times
Is that the attitude all over or is it an isolated thing? I'm sure it's better there than here, at any rate.

Springfield is full of rude people. You can't even go shopping without some fat maniac pushing a cart like her butt was on fire and pull your child out of the way just before she pins him between the cart and the wall. I know, it happened to us at the local Walmart here.

We went shopping around 10:00 PM and my son was about 8 years old at the time. This very large woman pushing a cart on a narrow isle (in hair care) nailed my son between her cart and the wall. I'm a small person, but I tell you what ... she's damned lucky I didn't catch her in the parking lot!

When he was 4 we took him for a haircut at this one salon here. The woman cutting his hair cut his ear with the scissors. I mean cut it bad. It bled all over the place and he cried. She turned to me and said "Little whimp, isn't he?" I would like to have caught her outside too.

This has to be the rudest city I've ever had the misfortune of living in. I lived in Las Vegas for over 20 years and it wasn't that bad. The tourists are great, people are friendly and all, but there's a lot of drinking and gambling (I don't do either one), and it's way too hot -- not enough REAL trees or REAL grass.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving.Illinois View Post
Is that the attitude all over or is it an isolated thing? I'm sure it's better there than here, at any rate.

Springfield is full of rude people. You can't even go shopping without some fat maniac pushing a cart like her butt was on fire and pull your child out of the way just before she pins him between the cart and the wall. I know, it happened to us at the local Walmart here.

We went shopping around 10:00 PM and my son was about 8 years old at the time. This very large woman pushing a cart on a narrow isle (in hair care) nailed my son between her cart and the wall. I'm a small person, but I tell you what ... she's damned lucky I didn't catch her in the parking lot!

When he was 4 we took him for a haircut at this one salon here. The woman cutting his hair cut his ear with the scissors. I mean cut it bad. It bled all over the place and he cried. She turned to me and said "Little whimp, isn't he?" I would like to have caught her outside too.

This has to be the rudest city I've ever had the misfortune of living in. I lived in Las Vegas for over 20 years and it wasn't that bad. The tourists are great, people are friendly and all, but there's a lot of drinking and gambling (I don't do either one), and it's way too hot -- not enough REAL trees or REAL grass.
Well except for the 2 items I mentioned there is one other thing. Check out the Seattle freeze thread.

Seattle tends to be all prim and proper in some respects and in others they are not. Your kid won't be accosted while shopping.

I liked the city and had a lot of transplant friends. Doing business there was difficult because of the local culture and was completely frustrated with the locals.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 PM

161 posts, read 560,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I'm just here for the sushi.

lol. Ditto. I'm here for Jade Garden!

No seriously. I do love the city b/c most of my family and all of my good friends live here. I do long for more sunshine and got my fill this summer.Still,I would really like to spend more time outdoors in nice weather yr round ( esp at my house since we do enjoy entertaining outdoors)

Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 PM

161 posts, read 560,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm glad to see that everyone hates Taco Time too...that place was yucky

lol Taco Time makes me sick,but to the poster who enjoys tacos,we have many great taco trucks around town. Lately my fav is the one at Home Depot on 99.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Well except for the 2 items I mentioned there is one other thing. Check out the Seattle freeze thread.

Seattle tends to be all prim and proper in some respects and in others they are not. Your kid won't be accosted while shopping.

I liked the city and had a lot of transplant friends. Doing business there was difficult because of the local culture and was completely frustrated with the locals.
Where's this "freeze" thread you speak of?
I own my own business so I don't need to worry if it fits in with the locals or not. I'm a programmer and work with clients all over the world and have been in this very same business for more than 15 years now.

I'm the kind of person that pretty much just sticks close to home. I go to church on Sundays. I donate to charities. I help the homeless. I've helped found organizations that help underprivileged kids. I play the "Easter Bunny" at the local children's home on Easter.

I don't drink or smoke. I've never done drugs nor do I ever plan to.
I'm a divorced Mom of 1 and have my widowed Mother living with me. My Mom used to work for the Police Dept. both in LV when we lived there, and here in Springfield during the time we've been here.

I'm nearly blind so I don't really go that many places by myself. My Mom and son are usually with me.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving.Illinois View Post
Where's this "freeze" thread you speak of?
I own my own business so I don't need to worry if it fits in with the locals or not. I'm a programmer and work with clients all over the world and have been in this very same business for more than 15 years now.

I'm the kind of person that pretty much just sticks close to home. I go to church on Sundays. I donate to charities. I help the homeless. I've helped found organizations that help underprivileged kids. I play the "Easter Bunny" at the local children's home on Easter.

I don't drink or smoke. I've never done drugs nor do I ever plan to.
I'm a divorced Mom of 1 and have my widowed Mother living with me. My Mom used to work for the Police Dept. both in LV when we lived there, and here in Springfield during the time we've been here.

I'm nearly blind so I don't really go that many places by myself. My Mom and son are usually with me.
Here is a link to the thread: Official "Seattle Freeze" Discussion Thread

Be careful in the downtown if you are not with anyone as they do not have audio for their crosswalk signals. I found that to be odd since most cities have them.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 PM

119 posts, read 1,027,972 times
Here's my list for why I love Seattle, and why my wife and I moved here:
1. It's not Michigan. Michigan is beautiful, but after 26 years, it was time for a change
2. Its NOT all sunny weather. I like rain, drizzle, murky, cloudy, and sunny.
3. Temperate weather. In michigan, its blazing hot in the summer, and Blistering cold blizzards in the winter.
4. Economy. Its not the best, but its better than where we came from in MI.
5. Diversity. Not just race, but the people. I have seen more tattooed, and diversity here in a month, then I would in a year back home.
6. Activities. All the outdoor activities and pure things to do.
7. Food. Where I was was nothing but chain restaurants.
8. It just felt right when we were here on our honeymoon.
9. Nursing school waits are shorter here than in Michigan, for my wife.
10. Alaska. Its as close to Alaska as the wife will let us move right now. We plan on retiring to Alaska.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Here is a link to the thread: Official "Seattle Freeze" Discussion Thread

Be careful in the downtown if you are not with anyone as they do not have audio for their crosswalk signals. I found that to be odd since most cities have them.
Thanks for the link. I looked through the thread, it doesn't sound like anything to be bothered with.

I think that in any city where someone is "new" there will be an adjustment period before s/he is accepted by the locals. They need time to get a feel for you and to know if you're riffraff. "New" people complaining about this "freeze" thing, I assume haven't relocated all that many times.

Since childhood I've lived in MI, NV, MS, LA, FL, UT, and IL. (parents that are professionals get transferred a lot).

I can honestly say, this "freeze" thing is nothing new and it's everywhere. It's simple human behavior that only lasts until folks get to know you and then it's like it's no big deal.

Don't sweat the little things as there are far too many other more serious things in life for which one should be directing their attention.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area