Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 62,974 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the "World" board, but thought I'd try here too.

I have an opportunity to relocate to London (UK) from Seattle. I'm having a hard time finding any cost of living calculators or comparisons that will tell me how much I'd need to make in London to have same lifestyle as in Seattle. For example, if I make $100K per yr in Seattle, what do i need to make in London? Does anyone know of such a calculator/comparison tool?

Any other info about things I should expect or the move in general would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
One rating service shows Seattle to be 13% more expensive than the US norm, and London to be 76% higher than the US norm. If you are paid in US dollars the gap is widening as the Pound is very strong.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 62,974 times
Default thanks

Thanks for the info. That helps. Fortunately I'll be paid in pounds, but just want to know how much more I should try to negotiate for.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 27,415 times
if you make 100k here then you would need to make 50000 pounds in London, now will that be ample, no! London is i think the third most expensive city to live in the World, Tokyo and NY are higher on the list i think. i could be wrong with who is second and third. I would look at NY and check to see how much u would need to make there to have the same standard in Seattle and then add 20% just to cover yourself.
i was in london last Summer for work and its expensive. a ride on the Tube for a day is 10$ american. the hotel i stayed in was 300.00 per night. i also stayed in ny last summer and the hotel was 278.00. not sure about the housing. but, if i had the chance to live in London for a period of time, it would be worth it even if you need to lower your standard of living for a while. IMHO

Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Default Seattle-London

My fiance is visiting me here in the States from London. He says to maintain your current standard of living, in London you will have to make double what you make here. Cost of fuel $3 ish a gallon here, $10 in the UK, housing in London is the most expensive property market in the country if not all of Europe.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 18,371 times
Default Cost of living adjustment?

FiestaC - I'm in the exact same boat, Seattle -> London this fall. Did you ever get your question answered? Any information you can provide to me to help negotiations would be great!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:59 PM

13 posts, read 65,776 times
I lived in Cambridge last year and was in Seattle before (and after). It is painfully expensive there. Everything costs twice as much, and you'll find most people feel pretty strapped unless they're making quite a bit of money. Free, nationalized health care helps, but that system had its ups and downs, too. If you have specific questions, fire away -- I may or may not be able to help, but I can try.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:46 PM
jvr

1 posts, read 14,523 times
Hi, i am on a similar situation, making right now $75K in NYC and got and offer in London for 50K pounds. So I know that there is considerable increase in salary (pure currency conversion), however I wonder how much those 50K translate these days into NYC US dollar cost of living.
Pretty much my main question is, living in NYC on a household income of 160K (wife+my salary). How much would we need to earn as a household income in London to keep at least an equivalent live style?

Any opinion help?

Or what would be a minimum to leave decently in London for 2 people (in the meantime my wife finds a job)?

Thank you

Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 24,642 times
I have just moved from a town just outside London, to the Portland area. Housing is much cheaper here as is eating out. However I am having to buy organic milk and meat as there seems to be less control on food standards in the US. Also basic groceries such as cereal ect , phone calls, internet and cable tv are more expensive in the US.Saying that housing is about the same price in dollars it is in pounds. Transportation costs are more in England, but then I tended to drive shorted distances. Used cars are certainly cheaper in England, but new cars are cheaper in the US. I have only been here 2 weeks , so still learning the differences.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 8,287 times
Can anyone share the cost of living comparison between London proper and Redding, UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: