Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM

328 posts, read 836,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyrides View Post
So I'm confused, is Seattle overrated or the best kept secret?
That's for you to judge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM

6,023 posts, read 13,993,031 times
It's over rated by the people who live there, and under rated by the people who haven't discovered it yet.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,109,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
According to a "Readers picks" article in the Los Angles Times Seattle is overrated.

One person has this to say about Seattle: " the city is nothing more than an overcaffeinated shopping mall filled with upper-middle-class white people wearing backpacks".

Seattle is in good company as places as diverse as Paris, Austin, Athens, Istanbul, Seattle, Las Vegas, and Italy were places that were nominated for being overrated destinations.

Having been to many of the places listed, I think the some people expect too much, or are too demanding.

What do you think...?
We spent a week visiting Seattle a couple of weeks ago, and had an absolutely great time. We found a lot of activities, and the city is very interesting. We found the folks to be very friendly and helpful in assisting us when wandering around slightly lost.

Overall, I have to say it was a great experience, and we look forward to returning in a few years and seeing some more stuff in and around Seattle.

Last year, we went to Vancouver. Overall, my wife and I both enjoyed Seattle more than Vancouver.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM

854 posts, read 4,129,929 times
No kidding. I think it's funny that we have so many threads comaring Austin to Seattle, but I guess we exchange citizens a lot. I'm thinking that means that we're more similar than we are different. There aren't a ton of threads that compare Seattle to Madison or Trenton or Atlanta!

I agree with Ira, people here can get pretty hyper if you criticize or say something is better elsewhere. The food comment is right-on; it's not exactly spectacular here. I love it but it's hardly the-best-in-every-thing.

Also agree that for most of the country, it probably is overrated. We almost didn't consider moving here because it was supposed to be rainy and cold and gloomy and muddy all the time and only produced things like grunge music. Sooooooo glad we looked into it further. I guess because there's nothing flashy, like cowboy hats or confederate flags or a statue of liberty or something, nothing that sticks in people's heads as a cool trademark, it's not marketed right and people don't remember/notice seattle. Which is fine by me.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,675 times
No I do not, I did live there though. If you think Seattle is over rated why are you in the (Washington state) sub form of Seattle?

Also this is the article OP got the topic from:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog...ves/178566.asp

Seattle is not over rated, if you are from the east coast Seattle is a utopia at the LEAST

Last edited by Anders15; 09-08-2009 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM

277 posts, read 1,295,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
No kidding. I think it's funny that we have so many threads comaring Austin to Seattle, but I guess we exchange citizens a lot. I'm thinking that means that we're more similar than we are different. There aren't a ton of threads that compare Seattle to Madison or Trenton or Atlanta!

I agree with Ira, people here can get pretty hyper if you criticize or say something is better elsewhere. The food comment is right-on; it's not exactly spectacular here. I love it but it's hardly the-best-in-every-thing.

Also agree that for most of the country, it probably is overrated. We almost didn't consider moving here because it was supposed to be rainy and cold and gloomy and muddy all the time....
ok, you lost me on that last part, LOL

BUT, let's talk about the rest. Yes, apparently Austin & Seattle do exchange people quite a bit. 2: people here *are* hyper critical, but I think that's a knee-jerk response to the east coasters who have moved here and always say "well, back in NYC things are like THIS" (in which THIS is always superior to what they've just experienced here) ~ to those I say "move back dude, if it's that bad" ... 3: I actually think the food scene here is pretty g.d. good. There are new places constantly opening up, and if you actually pay attention to what's happening, you can experience some real culinary artistry here. There's some awesome food stuff going on, don't doubt that. Also, our cocktail scene is exploding right now.

but here's the part where I slide off from jenlion: the weather. it's tough. If you are used to a sunny climate, you might suffer the first few winters. You might adapt, and think "ok, this is fine, I can handle it" and you might contentedly go along with that, but if you are essentially a warm weather person who enjoys sunshine and outdoor living, you might have a tough time here. Consider vacationing where there's sun during the winter. It helps, a LOT.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 PM

368 posts, read 693,094 times
I don't know if Seattle is overrated or not, but Hollywood's representation of Seattle is fantasy for sure. Sleepless in Seattle, Singles, etc... All BS.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:38 PM

947 posts, read 1,635,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
No I do not, I did live there though. If you think Seattle is over rated why are you in the (Washington state) sub form of Seattle?

Also this is the article OP got the topic from:

Is Seattle overrated?

Seattle is not over rated, if you are from the east coast Seattle is a utopia at the LEAST.
Speak for yourself- a Utopia it is not. This East Coaster left Seattle and headed back east because she couldn't stand the culture and so did many of her east coast friends and collegues the first chance they got.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Speak for yourself- a Utopia it is not. This East Coaster left Seattle and headed back east because she couldn't stand the culture and so did many of her east coast friends and collegues the first chance they got.
Yet you still stick around the Seattle forums

Also LA has nothing better to do than to write about Seattle? That says a lot to me lol.

Last edited by Anders15; 09-08-2009 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,032,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post

Also agree that for most of the country, it probably is overrated. We almost didn't consider moving here because it was supposed to be rainy and cold and gloomy and muddy all the time and only produced things like grunge music. Sooooooo glad we looked into it further. I guess because there's nothing flashy, like cowboy hats or confederate flags or a statue of liberty or something, nothing that sticks in people's heads as a cool trademark, it's not marketed right and people don't remember/notice seattle. Which is fine by me.
Every city has its shortcomings, and Seattle certainly isn't the best in everything...however what city actually is the best in everything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area