U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,599 times

Advertisements

Too bad! Pretty much every single DMV office that gives driving tests will be closed by September 26, 2009 and they are almost all booked up, and even if they aren't all booked up you will never find out because since all their offices are closing the people that work there don't give a #&$^ and either don't answer the phones at all or pick up, and then put you on hold until you hang up after a half hour - I've done this 4 times just today.

So if you live in Seattle or even Bellevue and you want a driver's license you are S.O.L. as there will be no more Testing offices after 9/26/09 - good job with the 'gov streamlining' ! you totally f'd the people and made the already difficult to navigate and expensive to pay for auto/driver licensing process in King County almost completely impossible and even MORE expensive and time consuming.

There is nowhere on the west coast where it is this difficult and convoluted to get a license for a driver or a car. I have navigated Oregon and California and Washington is BY FAR the worst place to get ANYTHING car related or License related taken care of, it is the most expensive, time consuming and personally costly process in King County.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 02:53 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,208,896 times
What about online?

Old 09-09-2009, 03:15 PM

317 posts, read 993,712 times
Online should work but doesn't.

Problem is you can't calculate the cost of your vehicle license very easily because you need to enter your gross vehicle weight and most of us have no idea what that is. I tried calling them and they refused to give me a quote.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM

1,295 posts, read 4,391,561 times
Wait, what? So all the DMV locations are closing? I have never gotten my license before so is it best to get it here in VA or try to sort through what is going on in WA? I am confused

As for the long time on the phone I think that is basically every DMV, which could be apart of the very reason they are closing.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,208,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
Online should work but doesn't.

Problem is you can't calculate the cost of your vehicle license very easily because you need to enter your gross vehicle weight and most of us have no idea what that is. I tried calling them and they refused to give me a quote.
Open up the door to your vehicle. There should be a label on the door itself that says what it is.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,532,812 times
I should have seen this coming.
A side effect of that budget thing...your drive to the D.O.L. might be a bit longer

Old 09-14-2009, 09:09 AM

36 posts, read 64,204 times
Oh man, I've already had anxiety over how and where to get my car related business taken care of. In Calif, the DMV is an annoying experience to be had but you can get certain things done on line and with an appt, most of your business taken care of. Showing up is a little more chancey but if you get their early you can get something done although you may have to come back at a later time for another part of things.

My question is: What is the best way to get my car registered and my license changed over??
I need to get my car registered (tabs?) for WA state and my Licensed changed over. When I went to an office in downtown Renton I was told I needed the NOTE to my car (can't find it) and that my previous registration that hadn't yet lapsed wasn't good enough. Also, was told I couldn't do my 'license' part there and had to go elsewhere. Can I still get my license changed over if I don't have the vehicle yet registered for WA? Reading that offices are closing and other access is being limited, what are my options??
Thankyou

Old 09-14-2009, 12:34 PM

124 posts, read 345,756 times
When I moved I had to get a WA license and got introduced to the pain of WA licensing offices. I showed up to the one in West Seattle 30 minutes after they opened and finally got to see someone 45 minutes before they closed. I spent literally half a day waiting around because no one was staffing the office. To top it off, they misspelled my name so I had to go back in and get another license.

The second time around I went to the office at shoreline which is a limited office that doesn't do actual driver testing. World of difference. I showed up when they opened and had to wait 15 minutes to see someone. The people were friendly and I was out in 30-45 minutes. So, if the shoreline office does what you need, try them.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:16 PM

27 posts, read 101,727 times
So... what does this mean? I've been living in Seattle for almost a year, and I never got my license because I'm a lazy git, but all I need to do is transfer my old license to washington.. so is it really as bad as this? What's the best place to go then, which area? I don't mind driving a bit, but I couldn't bear to sit around a DMV office for 3-4 hours!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 PM

56 posts, read 203,416 times
If you visit the website during business hours for the location you're headed to you can see what the current wait time is.

https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/dsdoffices/

As long as your existing license hasn't expired all you need to do is bring proof of identity (SSN card or passport) and residence (utility bill or some types of mail) as well as cash or check for the fees. They'll punch a hole through your old license and give you a temporary one. The real license will be mailed to you a few days later.

Also bring a book when you go -- you'll probably be waiting a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area