Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,485 times

Advertisements

What is your experience with religion (particularly Christianity) and over-the-top flag-waving in Seattle? Where I live now, people thump like the dickens and really love their freedom ribbons. I know it sounds harsh, but I hope these types are an outcast minority in Seattle.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:06 PM

44 posts, read 165,668 times
I never see them in Seattle...I see flag waivers north of Everett often, though.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
I am a Christian and I live on the Eastside. A friend of mine just moved back to Seattle after 17 years away and she commented on all of the churches springing up in Seattle and on the Eastside. She was really surprised to see that change. That being said, there is very little social pressure in Seattle to be a part of organized religion. If anything I often hear "You go to church?" with a very surprised tone though my church (Overlake Christian) has pretty good attendance every Sunday. I don't know about the "flag waving". It personally doesn't bother me as we had a line of military service on our family. Seattle in general is a fairly liberal place so I am not sure what you are comparing it to. Hope that helps.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:19 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
There's very little bible thumping and bible study groups consisting the totality of socialization here in Seattle. We don't need it, there's plenty of other things more worthwhile to do

Old 09-13-2009, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
There's very little bible thumping and bible study groups consisting the totality of socialization here in Seattle. We don't need it, there's plenty of other things more worthwhile to do
I agree wholeheartedly

Old 09-13-2009, 01:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Although Seattle has the lowest church attendance amongst large cities, there are also a lot of churches and plenty of people who atttend them. There are even some very large megachurches in the Seattle area that are well attended. But it's a far cry from the bible belt. There may be churches and people belonging to every stripe of religion, but Seattle is clearly not thumper territory.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:23 PM

328 posts, read 839,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Although Seattle has the lowest church attendance amongst large cities, there are also a lot of churches and plenty of people who atttend them. There are even some very large megachurches in the Seattle area that are well attended. But it's a far cry from the bible belt. There may be churches and people belonging to every stripe of religion, but Seattle is clearly not thumper territory.
I wonder why that it is? I know a lot of people who go to church and consider themselves religious or even devout. I rarely, however, had any one throw fire & brimstone at me or even discuss there spiritual beliefs in any detail.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:43 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
I wonder why that it is? I know a lot of people who go to church and consider themselves religious or even devout. I rarely, however, had any one throw fire & brimstone at me or even discuss there spiritual beliefs in any detail.

A friend of mine who is a pastor at the Mars Hill church said that this is primarily a result of not mixing culture with evangelical preachings. Fire and brimstone is only cast by people who are very insular and not willing to see things from the other side of the coin. By mixing a world view with integrating religion with the culture, he postulates, not only do you get more accepting individuals but also more people willing to attend since it is more relevant to them.

I tend to agree with him. People in the Bible belt are more often than not very insular, backwards, and unwilling to see opposing viewpoints.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
It's just not the way to do things up here.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,048 times
We are too busy living free, fulfilling lives to bother with thumpin' and wavin'. While some people in more backwards towns are watching Fox News and having Bible studies, we are busy watching educational documentaries and reading Proust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area