Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times

Advertisements

If not, why? What neighborhoods in the Seattle proper which are good for families have I missed? Thanks everybody for help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 03:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Lower Queen Anne is pretty dense with lots of apartment buildings. Some people might say that's not so great for little kids. Of the neighborhoods you mentioned, I think West Seattle ( especially Alaska Junction and Admiral Districts) are especially kid friendly, and I'd add North Capitol Hill, Wallingford, Phinney Ridge, and the top of Queen Anne.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
West Seattle is. LQA and Ballard are mostly for single people.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks, Ira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Lower Queen Anne is pretty dense with lots of apartment buildings. Some people might say that's not so great for little kids.
We currently live in a pretty dense neighborhood in Manhattan. Well, comparing with Seatlle, anywhere in Manhattan would be dense, I guess. Still, there are lots of kids, playgrounds, schools and so on all over the place. Is Seattle different in this regard? Does that mean Queen Anne density makes the neighborhood kids unfriendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Of the neighborhoods you mentioned, I think West Seattle ( especially Alaska Junction and Admiral Districts) are especially kid friendly, and I'd add North Capitol Hill, Wallingford, Phinney Ridge, and the top of Queen Anne.
We don't consider North Capitol Hill and top of Queen Anne, because we think it's very expensive. Basically, we're looking for a 2 bedroom appartment in the range of $1,500 and up to $1,700.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM

Thanks, W & C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
West Seattle is. LQA and Ballard are mostly for single people.
I thought both Ballard and Lower Queen Anne are pretty big. What makes them singles only neigborhoods?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Thanks, W & C.

I thought both Ballard and Lower Queen Anne are pretty big. What makes them singles only neigborhoods?
I didn't mean they were singles ONLY; I just meant that's who mostly lives there. F.E. you're a lot more likely to see a bar on a street corner than a playground. You don't see too many kids if you're out and about there. But you may be OK with that.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
We currently live in a pretty dense neighborhood in Manhattan. Well, comparing with Seatlle, anywhere in Manhattan would be dense, I guess. Still, there are lots of kids, playgrounds, schools and so on all over the place. Is Seattle different in this regard? Does that mean Queen Anne density makes the neighborhood kids unfriendly?

Honestly, I don't think there are a lot of neighborhood kids on lower QA, and I don't think there are a lot of playgrounds. Though there's lots to do for kids at Seattle Center. As far as schools go, Queen Anne has two elementaries, Coe and Hay, and both are considered amongst Seattle's best. Hay is on Garfield Street about 2/3 up the hill and Coe is near the top of the hill on 7th Ave West.
Ballard is big and there are schools and playgrounds, but not so much in the heart of the retail district around Market St and Ballard Ave...The area between Ballard and Fremont (aka Freelard) is also pretty interesting...Ballard also has one of Seattle's only great pizza places, which should be important to any NYer.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:36 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,161 times
This has been alluded to a lot, but here goes: Seattle, as a whole, is a city where you are WAY more likely to see folks with dogs than with kids. It is not apparent right away, but it becomes more apparent when you pay attention.

For instance, I was in Ballard today. I happen to pay the "kid vs. dog" game when I'm boretd and walking about, so I counted how many people under the age of 16 that I saw versus how many dogs I saw. By my count, I saw three kids and 20 dogs whilst walking from 15th and Market to 22nd and Market. True story.

This is not to say that Ballard is family unfriendly, per se. I do think, however, that if neighborhoods teeming with kids are a priority, Ballard may be lacking. Ballard is a lovely mix of elderly Scandanavians, young hipsters, and nearly everyone in between ... but not a lot of kids. I think a lot of that has to do with the rental market and the way that the area has been marketed primarily to the young and single.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 AM

Thanks, everybody. So, what families with kids who chose to live in Queen Anne or Ballard do? How do they entertain their kids? Drive somewhere else? In addition, how about Eastlake or Northgate in this regard? Are they different? What neigborhoods in Seattle proper, other than West Seattle, are "ultimate" kids friendly areas with playgrounds and other infrastracture?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,906 times
I am not too familiar with Seattle neighborhood, however, I wanted to mention that Hay School happens to be a really good public school in Seattle. I know several people with children in that school and they are extremely satisfied with the quality of their education. If you go on greatschools.net you can read what parents have to say about each individual public school in the Seattle area and you will notice it vary greatly depending upon the neighborhood. I always use greatschools.net because it's opinions and experiences from parents who have children attending the school and not rated based upon test scores. It's definitely important to know about the public schools because should you decide to send your children to a private school, tuition is very expensive out here. I use to live on the east coast in NJ and private schools are more expensive out here. Hope this helps and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: