Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,352 times

Advertisements

South Seattle is probably as close to ghetto as you'll get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:19 PM

40 posts, read 176,186 times
2007 crime data map from Seattle PD's web site

SeaStat Statistics

Old 08-16-2008, 05:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Looking at the crime map, it says to me that some areas are perceived as high crime but in reality aren't. Look at how many posters tell folks to stay away from the south end, and then look at the crime stats. Most of the south end is no worse crime wise than Fremont, Wallingford, and Ballard, and some parts of the north end are higher crime areas than many areas of the south end.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:40 AM

300 posts, read 1,211,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Looking at the crime map, it says to me that some areas are perceived as high crime but in reality aren't. Look at how many posters tell folks to stay away from the south end, and then look at the crime stats. Most of the south end is no worse crime wise than Fremont, Wallingford, and Ballard, and some parts of the north end are higher crime areas than many areas of the south end.
Interesting, but it'll still cause problems trying to resell a house. It's all about market perception, not market reality. Good to know if you were going to rent though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
In Seattle? South Seattle areas not good. Notice how cheap it is - very cheap for a reason. Rainier Drive area. Not good.

Ding, ding, ding... I'd let the market help tell you where the undesirable places are (crime, noise, traffic, commute, etc.)

You could start with looking at the price/square foot of a similarly sized home across two different areas of similar age and condition. If one is significantly cheaper than the other, it's probably because the location has some problems (although crime may or may not be one).

Old 08-17-2008, 01:19 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Just can't agree with you on this one,obsidian. The market is fickle and constantly changing, as are neighborhoods. While you might be right that it may take longer to sell a house in the southend because of perceptions that it is more dangerous, the fact is that some north end neighborhoods that command very high prices also have lots of traffic and noise, as well as crime.
I just don't think you can assume that because a neighborhood is cheaper it necessarily has some problems. Capitol Hill is expensive, but it's noisy and crime ridden. Ballard can be a long commute, and also has a crime rate that is higher than many southend neighborhoods.
People's tastes, and trends shift. I think the reason that some areas cost less is more about perception than reality.
Would you suggest writing off an entire neighborhood, not knowing anything about it, simply because houses cost less?
Wouldn't it be wiser to actually visit the neighborhood a few times to see how it feels, dine at a neighborhood restaurant, walk in a neighborhood park?
And I think the converse is also true. Just because a neighborhood is expensive doesn't mean it's quiet, safe, and with no commute or traffic. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 9,933 times
Ghetto in seattle

skyway area by dimmit middle school
parts of burien
southend

tacoma

Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 34,899 times
the ghetto areas are parts of aurora, white center, central district at certain parts of the year, and deep in the southend near skyway, but it isn't that bad really.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,103 times
Tacoma...is what a lot of people would call ghetto....north seattle around Aurora....is getting very ghetto. Burien and much of South Seattle ranks up there as well.

However, do not let the un-ghettoness of a particular neighborhood mislead you. Nice looking areas are prone to high criminal activity. Such as Belltown and its shootings/stabbings/drug dealings. Everetts gangs. Prostitution rings in Shoreline. Biker gangs in Renton. University District has its fair share of gangs or rather wannabe gangs.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 15,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrick View Post

big whoop. happens here. just cuz they were black doesn't mean much. so i personally feel like east coast ghetto's aren't what they are talked up to be...
I'm glad you didn't have a bad experience but Camden, NJ doesn't get called "bad" because of the color of the people who live there ... it has actually been, officially, the most dangerous city in the country. Thats based on crime statistics .... so its really not misperceptions but actual crime rates.

Just wanted to clear that up. I'm a Bostonian (who is actually considering Seattle) and the crime out there seems impressively less than what is here. There are definetly certain areas of Boston that I wouldn't be walking around at 1am - and those are areas with people of all races. Based somewhat on heresay and mostly on crime stats/news.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:59 AM

238 posts, read 865,967 times
There are areas of Lake City in North Seattle that are horrible. I stayed the night at a friends place one night, he lived in a newer apt building, and the area around it was HOOD. People were walking the streets (a side street) talking, yelling, and what ever else they were doing all night. I have lived in Tacoma all my life and have never seen anything like that here.

And really can you even call Tacoma ghetto now with all the crap going on in Seattle? And using the ghetto term for the whole city is just ignorant.. Stay on I-5!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area