Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times

Advertisements

I read a few threads that put down Des Moines. For someone coming from the EAST coast of the United States, is it still that bad? I am not sure if they were going by "downtown Seattle standards" or maybe I didn't want to accept what I was reading.. So can someone explain to me in more detail what it will be like? We do plan to move to Seattle in a few YEARS, nothing too soon.

We are a family of 3, one young one about to start and the other still in HS. We were offered a house to rent along 99/ Pacific Highway. I read this is bad? It is near the ShoWare Center so it is nice to have that near!

I already read the schools are better than most, this is true right? Is crime something I should worry about like murder or is it thefts? I hear they are closing DMVs?? Well does anyone know if it is easier to get a (used) vehicle in the area? I need to teach my oldest one how to drive. We are pretty laid back and the idea that we are moving to Seattle period is enough to keep us happy to be honest. We are just looking for change.

But on a more personal note but i do have some serious credit issues I've been taking off bit by bit. Is it hard to get around if credit is going to be a issue? Over here it is life or death and I am working on it. I've seen other threads about people having credit issues but they rarely get a useful response. Should I bother??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Des Moines schools are in the Highline school District, which are not considered very good. But parts of Des Moines are really nice, especially the old downtown and the waterfront.
99/Pac Hwy can be bad, but more so closer to the airport...Thefts occur everywhere, even nice neighborhoods, so get to know your neighbors and keep doors locked, just take common sense precautions. I don't think you need to fear getting murdered unless you're on somebody's hit list.
By east coast standards, Des Moines is pretty tame.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,486 times
Default Des Moines

I agree with Ira. You have to be street smart wherever you are. I just heard about a breakin at a gated community in Gig Harbor.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 AM

368 posts, read 695,581 times
There's parts of Des Moines that I like, but as said above try to avoid 99 if you can. Can't judge the house til you see it, but usually along 99 pac highway isn't great. However, for used cars just take 99 North and you have used car lots all the way to Everett.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
Wow not that safe after all? Well thanks for the heads up and car advice

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 AM

368 posts, read 695,581 times
I don't think you should write off Des Moines due to safety. I don't think it's that bad. Just don't agree to rent a house on Hwy 99 sight unseen.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,151 times
Des Moines isn't that bad, but Pac Highway (99) is pretty sketchy. Living near the ShoWare Center is probably cool though. Just keep an eye out for suspicious behavior.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,357 times
pac hwy, also 99 is bad on the east side of 99, especially around 99 and pac hwy. Tukwila, also known as little Somalia is bad, dirty and watch out for the drivers (somalian). There was a recent bust in the Federal Way drivers licensing bldg where people were arrested for selling fake drivers licenses to guess who.....Somalians and Russians. So there are people here who manage to get a license, buy a car without a license and then drive around for years, the law unaware of what is really going on. Des moines is small and quiet, my wife and I are looking to move, myself because the jobs here do not pay well, I currently work and have no benefits, the majority of the employees being illegal immigrants and the owner does not put any money back into the company or the people. Sad the way our country is going down.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
There is no city on Puget Sound that is entirely bad, including Des Moines which does have nice areas. On the other hand, all of highway 99 from the south end through Everett is sprinkled with hookers, drug dealers, and thieves. My son lives a mile west of 99 in Edmonds and it's very peaceful and quiet, but has to go through bad areas to get home every night. Des Moines ranges from expensive waterfront homes and quaint old neighborhoods to sketchy commercial areas, and semi-rural areas with crack houses. You won't find drive-by shootings or anything but there will be car prowls and
other thefts, and some minor assaults, usually family disputes.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times
It is not that bad at all, and coming from the East Coast, what people in WA/Seattle consider "bad" is NOTHING. And crime can happen anywhere. I lived in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle, very very close to Upper Queen Anne, which is considered prime. My neighbor 2 doors down had their place broken into (they walked in during the MIDDLE of it!) and a neighbor stopped someone from trying to break into our place. And we had both of our cars (separate occasions and even years) break into each of our cars, one of them trying to steal it altogether. So basically, anything can happen anywhere, and you're having people judge an area by their perspective, not yours, so I would wait until you see it yourself. I have worked and been in that area and it's kind of boring but most parts are overall just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area