Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:51 AM

87 posts, read 279,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Having grown up in Irvine, CA, I tend to gravitate to neighborhoods that are most like that (giant, master-planned suburbia). In WA, for me, it's Issaquah Highlands. It would be better if they'd ever finish the retail core, but there's plenty of retail close by in Issaquah proper, so I'm happy.

V. =)
Another point for East of Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Even IH for being master planned has far more character than most of the master planned sprawl I came from in Texas. So I would not list Sammamish and Issaquah as suburban sprawl. It's just different out here. You also have to understand that Sammamish and Issaquah are surrounded by state parks, hiking in the Issaquah Alps, lakes (Lake Sammamish, Pine Lake, Beaver Lake), etc. There is not a lot of land left to develop out here because a lot of it is protected or farmed and protected. Redeveloping is more what is likely to occur. We are shocked as to how little retail there is in Sammamish for how many people live there but other than wishing for a few more decent restaurants, I'd rather not have a nail salon, tanning salon and Starbucks on every corner like I had in Texas. My neighbor is a commercial real estate developer in the Seattle area and he has told us how difficult it can be to get permitting for anything. Lots of environmental impact studies are done relative to other parts of the country. Another thing I love about living here is the billboard law in King County. No signage greater than 8 feet high. Preserves the beauty. I love walking my kids to our bus stop and seeing the bald eagles that live in Pine Lake flying up in the sky.

State parks and large expanses of pristine wilderness RIGHT next to new suburban development? That is EXACTLY what I am looking for o;

I really DON'T like government projects and regulations, but I have always taken advantage of the State Parks and National Parks and even city parks. Where I go to college, there are a few urban nature trails, that have several miles of trails. I use it a lot and I always leave saying: 'Thank goodness for Liberals!'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:17 PM

854 posts, read 4,134,620 times
Oh! I didn't realize there was a law about the billboards! I hadn't even noticed that they were blissfully missing from here.... wow!! Yeah, I guess the only billboard I can think of is on 124th street in Kirkland. When we drive down I-90 into the mountains, there's NONE!

I LOVE IT HERE!!

Oh yeah, there was an OP here. You might want to also look at Snoqualmie, Carnation, Duvall, and North Bend. They're not really suburbs exactly, they're more old towns that happen to be within an hour of Seattle, but if Seattle grows that way much more than they will become suburbs eventually, in the same way that McKinney because a suburb of Dallas. They have new development that is easy to navigate, burb-style.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
the same way that McKinney because a suburb of Dallas. They have new development that is easy to navigate, burb-style.
Sounds like you have lived in DFW O;

Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REA88 View Post
Sounds like you have lived in DFW O;
Yes, from 2000 to 2008, so if you want any comparisons to that area, fire away. I lived in Plano and Sachse and my grandparents in Denton and Corinth.

I also lived in Shawnee from 1991 to 1996, so, you could also say that Snoqualmie is a suburb of Seattle like Shawnee was a suburb of OKC in the early early 90s. Pretty far, but still commut-able. And now? I don't know where one ends and the other begins. I don't think that'll happen here quite that way for a long time, but I suspect it will eventually... maybe not quite to that extreme, but you know what I mean?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, from 2000 to 2008, so if you want any comparisons to that area, fire away. I lived in Plano and Sachse and my grandparents in Denton and Corinth.

I also lived in Shawnee from 1991 to 1996, so, you could also say that Snoqualmie is a suburb of Seattle like Shawnee was a suburb of OKC in the early early 90s. Pretty far, but still commut-able. And now? I don't know where one ends and the other begins. I don't think that'll happen here quite that way for a long time, but I suspect it will eventually... maybe not quite to that extreme, but you know what I mean?
Yes, I do know what you mean. Also, I grew up in Plano, and lived in Shawnee last year O:

Lol.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REA88 View Post
Yes, I do know what you mean. Also, I grew up in Plano, and lived in Shawnee last year O:
Funny! I can tell you this much: If you LOVE Plano or Shawnee (except for weather), do not, do not, do not, do not, do NOT move here. Shoot, if you find them tolerable, or normal, or desirable at all, don't move here. It's not just the weather that's different.

For example, when they tore up the sidewalks to install fiber here, it took out my internet at home, and I need it to work. So, I grabbed the nearest jacket and shoes and headed to a local coffeeshop asap. I was wearing jeans, my blue "Stewart/Colbert 08" t-shirt, jeans, my fleece jacket that I've had for years, socks, and sandals. No make-up, my hair pulled back in a low ponytail.

I looked completely and utterly normal. Tell me how you think that'd go over in Dallas (socks with sandals, really? and, a coffee shop? Huh?). Shoot, my neighbors in Sachse would have been pretty upset about the t-shirt alone, if they knew who Stewart and Colbert were (they probably don't). You might hear that the burbs are more conservative than Seattle proper. Um, sure, and the surface of the sun might be cooler than hell, but you probably won't notice the difference after a certain point! I'm exaggerating a little, but the politics here are far more liberal than anywhere in TX (except Austin) or OK up until you actually cross the cascades going east. Even way in the further-out towns, you find random things like compassion and thoughtfulness built in to public thought and action. Crazy, if you come from TX. (It means they sometimes think things to death before acting on something, which can drive you crazy if you're used to making decisions and acting on them, but actually taking the needs of more than just the person holding the cash into account is a refreshing idea).

And nobody once here has asked me if I have a church home! I've had a couple of people start down that road but they actually TAKE THE HINT when I change the subject!

Fair warning!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:09 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,630,834 times
If the eastside is too expensive, I would suggest Lynnwood. It reminds me of the suburbs you have mentioned. Plus it has a huge mall.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Funny! I can tell you this much: If you LOVE Plano or Shawnee (except for weather), do not, do not, do not, do not, do NOT move here. Shoot, if you find them tolerable, or normal, or desirable at all, don't move here. It's not just the weather that's different.

For example, when they tore up the sidewalks to install fiber here, it took out my internet at home, and I need it to work. So, I grabbed the nearest jacket and shoes and headed to a local coffeeshop asap. I was wearing jeans, my blue "Stewart/Colbert 08" t-shirt, jeans, my fleece jacket that I've had for years, socks, and sandals. No make-up, my hair pulled back in a low ponytail.

I looked completely and utterly normal. Tell me how you think that'd go over in Dallas (socks with sandals, really? and, a coffee shop? Huh?). Shoot, my neighbors in Sachse would have been pretty upset about the t-shirt alone, if they knew who Stewart and Colbert were (they probably don't). You might hear that the burbs are more conservative than Seattle proper. Um, sure, and the surface of the sun might be cooler than hell, but you probably won't notice the difference after a certain point! I'm exaggerating a little, but the politics here are far more liberal than anywhere in TX (except Austin) or OK up until you actually cross the cascades going east. Even way in the further-out towns, you find random things like compassion and thoughtfulness built in to public thought and action. Crazy, if you come from TX. (It means they sometimes think things to death before acting on something, which can drive you crazy if you're used to making decisions and acting on them, but actually taking the needs of more than just the person holding the cash into account is a refreshing idea).

And nobody once here has asked me if I have a church home! I've had a couple of people start down that road but they actually TAKE THE HINT when I change the subject!

Fair warning!

Lol.

Well, I like Plano alright, but I didn't like Shawnee. And as for your trip to the coffee shop with the 'natural look', that look would get plenty of looks in Plano. I think it is Abercrombie only dress code (lol, I like Abercrombie though)

As for religion, I was raised Conservative, Young Earth Creationist, Southern Baptist. My entire family still is. About two years ago I had some 'experiences' with new non-christian friends (lol) and it changed my perspective and I became an Athiest. Unfortunatly I cannot tell anyone in my fam that I am an Athiest, although they know I don't go to church in college. So, that part of Seattle is NOT a problem for me. Also, I am bisexual, which prolly fits in pretty well with Seattle. Again, this is not a part of my life I can enlighten my family about (in fact even though my mother has asked me if I was gay, she stills sends anti-gay christian action emails to me all the time, lol).

I am a Republican but a Libertarian Republican. I shudder at the thought of Palin or McCain or Bobby Jindhal. I dgaf about social issues but I am a economic conservative. This summer my family was in Western Montana (which I know ISN'T seattle, but still) and my dad turned on the radio in the rental car, and it was... Alex Jones! (somewhat fanatical Libertarian) Again, I have a feeling there are plenty of Libertarians in the Pacific Northwest.

The weather is perfect for me. I am pale skinned and light eyed and can't take sun/glare ect. Plus the trees and nature is wonderful. I like to go on long walks on trails and the south is short on that kind of recreation.

The main problem for me at my age, is the expense, and not quite suburban enough or me. However, I definetly plan on calling Seattle home someday. Thanks for all the reccomendations everyone, I didn't mean to get off on a rant about politics or anything.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,332,526 times
I think Seattle would be alright for ya. It sounds like you would enjoy the social atmosphere and people here typically don't get politically charged ... heck I was even playing devil's advocate by defending some of Bush's policies (and I'm a Blue Dog Democrat), and the most I got out of some people were "yeah ... they just sucked". Of course, keep pushing you'll get charge but yeah ... typically politics don't get the forefront here. Yes there are Libertarians here, especially the further you go into the suburbs. In the city it's pretty solidly liberal.

Your bisexualism and religious stance will also be accepted. This is the first place in the country where I wasn't asked where I go to church (and I grew up in Chicago ... Irish Catholic Chicago, but Chicago nonetheless). And through a slightly embarrassing twist of events the first weekend I was here half the girls' numbers I got were actually dudes ... and totally fooled me (it wasn't the alcohol either, I was stone sober the whole night, don't want to get drunk and lost in a new city!).

Anyway ... anyone have ideas about SeaTac? That area always seemed pretty suburban even though it's right next to the airport.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
And through a slightly embarrassing twist of events the first weekend I was here half the girls' numbers I got were actually dudes ...
I'd like that outcome, several numbers from each gender. Lol.

I don't need to move up there for religious reasons or sexuality, though. Suburbs in the south are conservative, but there are a lot of different lifestyles, and people don't really talk to strangers. Plus, I don't really care what people think. The only ones I have to care about is what my family thinks (and i'll soon be moving on my own so it won't matter).

One funny thing is that altough Portland, Seattle, ect. are known for bieng ultra-liberal, I also think of the Pacific Nor'west as bieng a haven of Right Wingers too, especially in the rural parts. Before my family went to Montana this summer, I was reading about Montana and I came across a humorous map of Montana divided up into different ideologies. Radical-enviornmentalists, radical anti-enviornmentalists, Neo-nazi's, Militant-vegans, Neo-confederates, Radical anti-governmentalists, Communists, militant polygamists, splinter Christian sects and so on. I thought it was pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area