Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,820 times

Advertisements

We live in the Somerset section of Bellevue, work in downtown Seattle, and have 2 kids under age 3. I really regret moving to Somerset. There is no life in the community. Our neighbors are either retirees or recent immigrants who don't want to socialize. Since the elementary school is so highly rated I assumed this would be a family friendly neighborhood, but I was wrong. At 4pm on a sunny day there are no kids outside at all. It feels like a ghost town. In 7 years of living here, we only know 2 neighbors by name.

I'm wondering if there are better neighborhoods for us that still have the easy access to downtown Seattle? I'd love to find something with lots of young families, parks, and kid activities. Walkability to a library or coffee shop would be great too. We can afford up to $800k but don't care about views or fancy houses. We will probably do private school. Do any parts of Bellevue, Mercer Island, Issaquah, or even Kirkland fit that profile? My suspicion is what I want is probably further out (Sammamish, Issaquah Highlands, etc). Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,103 times
We live in the Lakemont area of Bellevue. Our neighborhood has parks, playdates, meetups, family event, parades, and tons of kids outside! Check the area up here out! Our neighborhood does have an association that helps coordinate all of those! There is no aooc. fee...just a yearly contribution of 35.00 if you like.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
The neighborhood just south of Mercerdale Park on Mercer Island sounds close to what you are looking for. The park has a nice playground that's pretty popular and during the summer there is music in the park on Thursday and Sunday.

Everything but a library is close, the library is about a 30 minute walk. Newer neighborhoods farther out probably have more young families but would be a longer commute to downtown Seattle.

I have also heard good reports about Lakemont. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
Issaquah Highlands has everything you're looking for. Well, I haven't had great luck with the neighbors, the but the parks are always filled with kids. And you can't walk to the library, but you can walk to a coffee shop.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Trossachs in Sammamish. Tremendous views and schools and crawling with kids and lots of great parks...but no walkability. Great proximity to Soaring Eagle Park though which is beautiful open space.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
800k will get you some decent places on MI, and you don't have to look close to Mercerdale Park (though the housing will be more "affordable" the closer you are to there). MI residents see Mercerdale as the "ghetto" of Mercer Island (laughable I know, but still), and looking online, there are some places within your price range.

The people here are sociable in a formal way ... they socialize through the school and are actively involved, especially in sports and the arts. As I do not have kids of my own yet, I cannot comment on how other families socialize, but the area is vibrant and there's enough natural stuff to do too. I have heard from some people that some on the island are snotty and if you don't own your own business or make millions off deals and stuff, then you're looked down upon, but those people must be in the minority as I've not met one like that yet, and I "only" rent!

The library is the only thing lacking.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
Same story in my neck of the woods. Everyone minds their own business and say hi without slowing their pace. I only say hi to people who just move in but usually they fill the stereotype too. There are areas that are more family friendly out there. I'm sure some of them are even a 5-10 min drive from your place if you look around. Find cul-de-sacs or areas where kids are playing and try to start a conversation with the parents and see if they are any different. Lots of people around here (especially on the eastside) tend to mind their own business and are not really interested in meeting new people (seems to be a PacNW thing). I am finding that people actually wanting to chit chat are usually from out of state.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 PM

13 posts, read 42,770 times
It would be a bummer to have neighbors that do not want to meet/socialize.

We have been driving around the eastside area quite a bit ... searching for our next house ... and have found certain areas of Lakemont, Issaquah Highlands, Klahanie and Foothills of Issaquah that would meet your requirements. We have seen several kids playing and adults chatting/walking in these areas. Foothills in Issaquah is an interesting as you are very close to Issaquah downtown ... cute little one with a theatre, library, unique shops and restaurants.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
Also you have to remind yourself that your kids are not in school yet. Once they are in school you will find that group of parents you can hang out with.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM

318 posts, read 950,216 times
I'm not understanding what you're looking for. You can't expect your neighbors to become best friends with you, and if you only know 2 neighbors by name, then maybe you should try taking the initiative to introduce yourselves to more. Everything you're describing fits the bill for a PNW suburb. Somerset is not good for singles or young couples, but I disagree that it is not family friendly. Exactly as Redline says, once your kids get in school, you'll meet a lot more parents like you in PTA and such. Somerset has a pretty active neighborhood association, but if you really think community events are lacking, then wouldn't it be prudent for you to get involved and help remedy these issues? So that way you'll be actively taking part in making Somerset a better community instead of running away and second guessing if your next residence will be up to par. How would I really know? I've lived on Somerset for 13 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area