Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times

Advertisements

Any positive experience from New Yorkers working in Seattle? So far, only negative responses, and, in my view, only one side of the picture. Is working environment in Seattle really so bad? I'd also like to hear from New Yorkers or others who moved without a job. Have you ever felt like being discriminated as a transplant by a job search / in an interview? I've heard the job market in Seattle is very "local" or "closed" to outsiders. I especially heard it about Vancouver, BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM

184 posts, read 447,961 times
I'd agree with most of the previous comments. EX NY'er who moved from San Francisco to Seattle for a gig. Very passive aggressive behavior everywhere, non confrontational, and very indirect. It felt like it took forever to get anything accomplished there, people seem to talk about the issue for days before doing anything about it when it could have been solved in 10 minutes.

It's a beautiful place and I enjoyed my time there but I found the work environment and the people were difficult to deal with.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,569 times
Quote "Also, Ive noticed in Seattle if you dress very professionally you tend to fall out of favor with the more casual employees."

Yes, I had a similar problem JesseJB with my collegues. They spent a great deal of their workday talking about my clothes, shoes, jewelry and handbags and debating on how much the items cost, were they real or good fakes,etc. So much time wasted in the workplace on such a pettiness.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 AM

121 posts, read 338,094 times
It does seem like the Seattle culture frowns upon friendliness or outgoingness as "inauthentic" for some reason. By that I mean that people here seem to be suspicious of you if you make overtly friendly gestures early on in an acquaintance. I don't know if that's what is being referred to in this thread, but it was a revelation to me about how much easier it can be to meet people in other cities such as New York.

On the plus side, living in NYC or SF or a similar top city comes with certain expectations or even obligations that some people might not want. Seattle provides certain pretenses of urbanity, without the true need to differentiate yourself from the herd. In NYC, you generally have to be at or near the top of your field, or aiming for that, if you want to succeed there, not just due to the cost of living, but also because people seem to be more demanding of their peers. Contrarily, in Seattle success isn't necessarily rewarded with praise or esteem, but often with scorn and belittlement. I'm generalizing, but that does seem to be part of this city's character.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Under The Clouds View Post
Contrarily, in Seattle success isn't necessarily rewarded with praise or esteem, but often with scorn and belittlement. I'm generalizing, but that does seem to be part of this city's character.

Sounds like Paris.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Any positive experience from New Yorkers working in Seattle? So far, only negative responses, and, in my view, only one side of the picture. Is working environment in Seattle really so bad? I'd also like to hear from New Yorkers or others who moved without a job. Have you ever felt like being discriminated as a transplant by a job search / in an interview? I've heard the job market in Seattle is very "local" or "closed" to outsiders. I especially heard it about Vancouver, BC.
I think it may also depend on one's field, though that's just a hunch I have.

I came to Seattle for a specific psychology job, so I'm not a great example, but my husband was on the tech market as a NY transplant after we moved to Seattle and didn't feel closed out or discriminated against getting in the door or in interviews. We noticed that most tech jobs are competitive due to the number of qualified folks here to fill each opening, but he didn't report any major "Seattle-related" frustration with work that I can recall.

So that's at least two positive experiences, right?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

So that's at least two positive experiences, right?
Agree!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:17 PM

8 posts, read 29,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dloqi View Post
not sure if this counts, as we literally just moved 10 days ago if you include the 8 days of driving across the country from NYC to WA.... we moved because

1 - people are nicer
2 - the outdoor activities are more plentiful and more accessible than in NY
3 - the huge trees everywhere
4 - much bigger apartment + amenities at much lower rents
5 - did I mention that people are nicer?
6 - even the "less than desirable" neighborhoods are tolerable
7 - i wanted a car and it's much easier to have a car here than in NY
8 - the views here are amazing and plentiful and of trees & water rather than skyscrapers
9 - people are nicer
Ha. The "people are nicer" is the number one reason we are leaving CT and heading out there!!! I love that I'm not the only one who does not appreciate New England's "attitude" problem!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan88 View Post
Ha. The "people are nicer" is the number one reason we are leaving CT and heading out there!!! I love that I'm not the only one who does not appreciate New England's "attitude" problem!
I'd would be very careful to move just because of the "people problem". Seattle also has people, you know. This is exactly why so many people leave Seattle: "Attitude" problem. People always have "attitude", doesn't matter where you move. I think, in addition to that, there should be other, more "legitimate" reasons to move. Good luck and have fun in Seattle! I hope to be there soon, too.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,817 times
Quote:
It does seem like the Seattle culture frowns upon friendliness or outgoingness as "inauthentic" for some reason. By that I mean that people here seem to be suspicious of you if you make overtly friendly gestures early on in an acquaintance. I don't know if that's what is being referred to in this thread, but it was a revelation to me about how much easier it can be to meet people in other cities such as New York.
I like the way u worded this. Me and my wife joke about this, as we have moved this summer from NYC.

Generally we like it out here, but you can feel as if your from another universe, in dealing with the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area