U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,058 times

Advertisements

I would like some advice on what it may be like for a family of 5 (wife, twin 8yr olds girls and puppy) to relocate from Princeton NJ to the Seattle area. The potential job is located in Bellevue and I would love to hear from other people who have made this monumental jump across our great country.

I have been to Seattle before on business but never for more than 3 days.
I have always admired it for it's beauty and overall GREEN-NESS so Here are my critical questions. PLEASE HELP!!!

1. What can I really expect from the weather???
2. Schools are important, where are the best schools located?
3. My wife loves to shop. She loves "Wegmans" a higher end supermarket. Anything similar out there?
4. Does working in Bellevue and living in bellevue make sense???
5. Are the people generally nice?

thanks so much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 PM

1,170 posts, read 4,953,515 times
The weather here is great during the Summer. The rest of the year is more cloudy and rainy than what you are used to. It doesn't get real cold, most winters you can grow cold tolerant vegetables like cabbage. If you can easily get away during the day for a walk when the sun comes out it's not too bad. If you are stuck inside all day you'll be daydreaming of trips to Mexico.

The very best high school is in Seattle. Lakeside is a private college prep school that has a huge long list of National Merit Scholars every year. This is the school that Bill Gates and Paul Allen attended. The best public schools are on Mercer Island and the Eastside.

I'm pretty sure our supermarkets will have whatever you want, unless it's something unique to New Jersey.

Bellevue is a very nice place with good schools.

The people here are generally nice, but for some reason there are an unusually large number of rude and pushy people shopping at the Bellevue Whole Foods Market.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,294,849 times
OMG Wegmans! <3 I wish there was a place like that in Bellevue. QFC is probably the closest, but its just not the same. Whole Foods is also close, but with higher prices and less "normal" food. Lots of organics though, and tasty produce.

Yes, if you work in Bellevue, you should live in Bellevue. Plus there's good schools. The downside is that real estate is pretty high.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,563,281 times
There really isn't anything quite like Wegman's.
I was born in Princeton, and lived a bit south of there for many years. My best friend's dad worked for Princeton University, so we spent a lot of time on Nassau St as kids getting in as much trouble as possible.
The weather? Summers here are far superior to Central NJ. Not hot, generally, not humid. It gets dark really early here in the winter, and November-January is a particularly dark and dreary time, but it snows far less than NJ.
Bellevue is a nice place, but it certainly doesn't have history like Princeton. There's a section of downtown Bellevue referred to as " Old Bellevue". It dates back to the early 1950's.
Matthew's Thriftway in the Lakemont area of Bellevue sort of has that Wegman's feel, friendly and high quality..There are farmer's markets all over the place, and they sell a lot more than fruits and vegetables, including some great baked goods..People are friendly here, but not in the outgoing in your face way some east coasters are. Real estate in Bellevue is relatively expensive. But not compared to Princeton.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 PM

76 posts, read 203,761 times
Your wife may like Trader Joe's, though it is much smaller format, but it offers a lot of fresh and/or hard to find stufff, mostly in TJ's own private labels.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 AM

1,318 posts, read 2,322,502 times
As a former NJ resident I can guarantee, you will love the weather. Now for some people, they may think I am crazy but when you have lived through brutal winters, digging your car out of the snow and not wanting to leave your air conditioned home because of the hot humid weather, well, for me Seattle weather is great. The summers are incredible (especially this past summer) and yeah, it does rain a lot, but primarily in the winter. Spring and fall are a mix so it's not 12 months of rain like some people from the east coast have heard. Well, that's my take on the weather. Been here for ten years and have no plans on moving back to the east coast. As far as schools are concerned, Bellevue is "rated" as the best but honestly, if you moved anywhere on the east side, all the schools are good. If you can live as close to your job in Bellevue as possible, it would be a bonus and would definitely make sense. The less the commute the better because traffic out here is pretty bad. Downtown Kirkland (one of my favorites) which is only a couple miles from Bellevue, is also really nice area and also has good schools. As far as supermarkets, I don't know the one you mentioned but Whole Foods is one of my favorite supermarkets as someone else had mentioned. It is mostly organic, and although pricey, great quality IMO. As far as the people, well, in my experience, I found more friends and have more in common with the Seattle people than I do in Bellevue and I will just leave at that. Seattle is a great city and offers so much for small city. I do miss NYC but having Seattle so close, I don't feel too deprived. Just don't plan on having dinner past 10:00 PM at night because it's not the "city that never sleeps" like NY. Hope this helped and lots of luck to you!

Old 10-03-2009, 02:31 PM

52 posts, read 180,290 times
A nice grocery store you might like is Metropolitan Market. They are expensive but have high quality items. There are only a few stores in the area and most of them are in Seattle.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM

4,246 posts, read 8,294,849 times
They're opening a Metro Market in Kirkland (Houghton).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area