Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:04 AM

22 posts, read 121,392 times

Advertisements

Local new englander, newly married. I've lived in Seattle for the past 4 years and love the proximity to the mountains, water and general liberal attitude. I feel like Seattle is too big for me now and am seeking that quaint small town without the ignorance and lack of jobs, which I'm sure is rare...I'm a vegetarian cook, he's in IT and we want to open a B&B one day...but my main goal is finding a liberal, supportive community that isn't all standoffish like the folks in Seattle. 4 years here, and I've been an active friend and it's so hard to get people to just make time for you in this city,even when you know they are not busy...
that's my biggest issue with seattle, and i've learned it's a distinct seattle thing. i also need more days of sunlight out of the year. my brother lives in vermont and we've considered moving there, but obviously the job market isn't fabulous and the bugs....we've also looked at outside of portland but i've heard it's not much sunnier there in the winter than seattle? i've decided i don't mind the cold in the winter if i can have a little sunshine.
we are both rock climbers and like a little bit of a social scene...we plan on having kids in a few years and i just don't want to settle down somewhere and not be able to make any friends like in seattle...
my dream place: sunshine! access to swimming holes, hiking, rock climbing, farmer's markets, food co-op. supportive of vegetarian food/lifestyle. humidity is rough on my husband (he lived in ct for a summer and that was it!) i am flexible to either coast. i'd like to have a few acres but be somewhat close to a liberal town with some diversity (i get scared of the high percentage of old white people in vermont, no offense...it was never apparent until i moved to the west coast)
anyways, let's discuss and i welcome all advice. i need to leave this city before i get sucked in and regret not taking action...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 04:41 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Boulder/BreckenRidge/Telluride Colorado.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:19 AM

92 posts, read 218,044 times
Ditto with 41Willys. Your best bet is a fringe city of Denver or somewhere on the Rocky Mountain front range. Santa Fe might also be what you need although it's a bit pricey and I'm not sure about the job situation. The only thing you'll miss is the lack of water compared to Seattle.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:23 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,824 times
Ditto! I was about to say Boulder area I have family there and it would definetly fit you.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 AM

212 posts, read 1,076,305 times
We're moving to Austin, TX in July for more sun. You won't have the mountains but you can go outdoors all winter...

Probably not as liberal as Seattle, but for Texas it's way out there. The cost of living is so much better too.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:08 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
Maybe stating with a state that leans to the left and then researching some of it's towns that roughly fit your needs is a way to find your place. Colorado, New Mexico and Eastern Oregon might be good states to look at. You might start by looking at college towns, someplace like Silver City NM might be a good fit.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:04 PM

14 posts, read 113,240 times
Default new mexico

I agree with everyone else about places in the Southwest. If you don't ind not being near a major body of water, I would definitely consider New Mexico. I've lived in Albuquerque my whole life. I'm a very outdoors person and let me tell you..there is so much to do within one hour of the city. There's hiking, skiing, lots of rock climbing, national and state parks, lakes, etc. This state has everything, (except the ocean). It is hardly ever humid here. You will like that. The winters are very sunny, and not uncomfortably cold.

Albuquerque is kind of a big city (about 600,000 + suburbs), but it definitely has a small town feel. It is diverse and people are, for the most part, accepting. The mayor is doing a lot right now in terms of making the city environmentally friendly and we're one of the top cities for bicycling. If you don't want a city so big, there is a small village right outside of town called Corrales, which is beautiful.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Obviously there are plenty of places that may meet your criteria.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:36 AM

46 posts, read 371,832 times
Unless you're coming from the deep south, Colorado does not lean to the left! Boulder may be an ideal town if you can afford it, but personally I'd chose Albuquerque or Santa Fe instead.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
If you want a liberal town by the mountains but not too distant from the coast like the Rockies, I'd say check out Asheville NC, Burlington VT would be a good one too.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM

13 posts, read 20,577 times
I agree with caphillsea. I lived in Knoxville,TN and we would go to Asheville,NC on the weekends. Lots of things to do,quaint but not too quaint tucked away in the mountains and some of the nicest people I have ever met! I loved it there and in Knoxville as well. I however amd missing Seattle really bad and cannot wait to get back! Good luck on finding your place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area