Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 37,749 times

Advertisements

I'm a mother who has just moved into the Seattle area of Washington, and when I say "just" I mean my two sons and I have been here for only one week. We are currently staying with my sister.

To cut to the chase, my two other daughters will be joining us in the summer, one will be in grade 10, the other grade 12. We used to live in Canada, and they currently attend an excellent school in the province of Quebec. It is, in fact, the number one public school in the province - and being the over-achievers that they are, they refuse to follow me to Seattle unless they can attend a high school of equivalent "position".

Having four children and being a single mother, I do not wish to send them to an expensive private school - so what I am looking for is a good PUBLIC school (and I mean very good...) in the Seattle area. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 01:18 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Seattle school district is divided into clusters - depending on where you live will be what cluster of schools you can choose from.

I won't lie to you - there's not many "good schools" in Seattle district

Where are you? have you looked through www.seattleschools.org?

There is a way to get to a different school out of your cluster but it takes a bit of luck.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,085 times
Does it have to be in the Seattle city limits?

The school that closest matches what you are describing, in my opinion, would be the International Baccalaureate Program at Interlake High School in the Bellevue School District.

District website: http://www.bsd405.org/Default.aspx?tabid=101
School website:http://www.bsd405.org/Default.aspx?tabid=120
IB Program website: http://www.ibbellevue.org/ibinterlake.htm (broken link)

I don't think you'll find another public school program with higher academic standards or superior reputation.

In Seattle, Garfield High School is the magnet school for the district AP program.
And depending on where you live in the city, you may have access to the John Stanford International School: http://www.jsisweb.com/jsis/index.asp

But is a highly sought after program with long waiting lists.

Last edited by secret_squirrel; 05-08-2007 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 37,749 times
Wow, many thanks for the replies. My sister lives in the Tacoma district...but of course there is always the possibility of finding a place outside of this area.

IB and AP programs would be excellent for my daughters. I will look into these schools.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area