Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 AM

9 posts, read 22,455 times

Advertisements

So after a very long 10 year SoCal journey that yes I have enjoyed I am finally coming home to the PNW. Long story short moved to LA to marry Boy Wonder who was in law school, and had a boy (now 5) and triplet girls (6 months) lived the San Clemente beach life until - wow Boy Wonder got a huge promotion to start his own office in my home town. Holy Sweet Mary - I musta done something great (my take is that god is giving me a beautiful little rainy snowgloby present for being such a good sport about almost dying and not sleeping ever again because of my dear sweet trips!)

SOOOO.... I can barely contain my excitement. Clam diggin, berry pickin, green havin excitement.

Which leads me to where the heck do I live with - Boy Wonder (husband), Best Boy Ever (5 year old), and Triple Trouble with a dash of cute as hell on top (6 month girl triplets).

Me horse ridin, chicken/garden lovin, wine drinkin, fun havin mom. Boy wonder, living large as big man on campus downtown lawyer, mountain bikin and boating in the rain. Best boy ever, who loves him some parks and who's daily montra after I pick him up from school and he is still not worn out is "mommy I need to go playyyyyyy with my friendssssss - come on." Of course triple trouble who need "wide open spaces" (sing it with me people) need I say more.

We are looking at Mercer island, but fear it is too far from Mountain Biking and horse boarding. Lakemont, Bauex Arts (sp?), Issaquah Highlands (wow we thought lots in CA were small-yikes), and Troosachs, on the 90 side but fear they are too far from the city. Bridle trails and Houghton on the 520 side.

Anyways all will turn out exactly as it should, but it would be great to find a good neighborhood with kids for my kids, moms and dads to have some fun with occasionally (anybody for a good block party bounce house rager), and access to our hobbies.

So if you have an opinion - please sling it my way, because I do love this board and it would be great to hear what you have to say!

Thanks so much for taking the time to assist us we really do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:45 PM

233 posts, read 752,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgrrlmom View Post
So after a very long 10 year SoCal journey that yes I have enjoyed I am finally coming home to the PNW. Long story short moved to LA to marry Boy Wonder who was in law school, and had a boy (now 5) and triplet girls (6 months) lived the San Clemente beach life until - wow Boy Wonder got a huge promotion to start his own office in my home town. Holy Sweet Mary - I musta done something great (my take is that god is giving me a beautiful little rainy snowgloby present for being such a good sport about almost dying and not sleeping ever again because of my dear sweet trips!)

SOOOO.... I can barely contain my excitement. Clam diggin, berry pickin, green havin excitement.

Which leads me to where the heck do I live with - Boy Wonder (husband), Best Boy Ever (5 year old), and Triple Trouble with a dash of cute as hell on top (6 month girl triplets).

Me horse ridin, chicken/garden lovin, wine drinkin, fun havin mom. Boy wonder, living large as big man on campus downtown lawyer, mountain bikin and boating in the rain. Best boy ever, who loves him some parks and who's daily montra after I pick him up from school and he is still not worn out is "mommy I need to go playyyyyyy with my friendssssss - come on." Of course triple trouble who need "wide open spaces" (sing it with me people) need I say more.

We are looking at Mercer island, but fear it is too far from Mountain Biking and horse boarding. Lakemont, Bauex Arts (sp?), Issaquah Highlands (wow we thought lots in CA were small-yikes), and Troosachs, on the 90 side but fear they are too far from the city. Bridle trails and Houghton on the 520 side.

Anyways all will turn out exactly as it should, but it would be great to find a good neighborhood with kids for my kids, moms and dads to have some fun with occasionally (anybody for a good block party bounce house rager), and access to our hobbies.

So if you have an opinion - please sling it my way, because I do love this board and it would be great to hear what you have to say!

I have a friend who boards horses and lives on a great little farm in Bothell. I go up there once in awhile and it's usually about a 30-40 min. trip with regular amounts of traffic. It's rural enough to afford plenty of space but close enough to the city to not feel too isolated. Woodinville and its wine area is close by as well. Good Luck and welcome home!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks we will check out both areas.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:31 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times
My first thought was Woodinville too. It's quite far from downtown seattle but you get the big lots, chickens, horses, wine all in one shot (and more reasonably priced to boot). You're going to have a tough time with the horses and chickens and yards in Seattle itself!

I hear nice things about Bridle Trails, and the houses near the park are beautiful. Doesn't look like the kind of neighborhood for a block party, exactly... but I guess I don't know. I'd take a close look at Trossachs -- I have a friend that lives there and her house is big and gorgeous (only been there at night, no idea what the yards are like!) and you're a quick hop to hiking and biking there. And I-90 isn't as bad of a commute to Seattle as 520 is.

I have a friend who grew up in Beaux Arts and really likes it there. Her doctor-parents still live there and wouldn't move for anything. She pronounces it "Bose arts", oddly enough. I got very lost there looking for ANOTHER friend's house in the dark and wound up right on the lake in a long MARBLE DRIVEWAY facing a SIX CAR garage. The roads are so weird down there, believe me, it was a legitimate mistake. The security lights all flipped onto my poor 9-year-old honda with the dented hood and I got back outta there. The houses were large, in a very strange sort of neighborhood-like area -- steep hills, narrow roads, shared driveways. And Veronika, don't hate me, but Issaquah Heights has nothing in common with those places IMO -- you're right about small lots, people right on top of each other, narrow bumpy alleys, and they never finished off the development that was promised up there. It seems to me a cheap imitation of quality -- more for people who want the appearance of wealth and its accoutrements. (Not literally cheap; I couldn't have afforded a 4-bed house there when I was looking a couple years ago. Just think about the difference between granite tiles and slab granite, and folks who have got to have SOME KIND OF GRANITE in the kitchen, even if that means cleaning grout).

If you're looking in neighborhoods in those price ranges, don't neglect Medina. Bill Gates' hood. If you want to read about what it's like to live there (in one opinion anyway), check out the book Odd Mom Out. Yeah, I know, when do you get to read with even ONE six month old, let alone three? Not sure if you called the Seattle-area home before leaving with Boy Wonder or not, but it's an interesting look at that life!

Long story short, many of the places you mention are quite expensive, exclusive, and be very careful what neighborhood you choose if you want to be relaxed, casual, and have block parties. It will go over quite well in some places (my Trossachs friend seems friendly that way with her neighbors, and my Beaux-Arts friend claims the same, but I will ALWAYS be self-conscious in the Trossachs house) and not as well in others.

Glad you get to move someplace you are happy about!! Welcome back!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 PM

jenlion,

Honey, I love your dented hood honda. I don't care how much money you have real people are valuable! I've been livin in the land of the "OC" wearin my **** kickers and cruel grrls - one thing you have to know about snotty, seemingly rich people is that at then end of the day we all die and you can't take it with you and many of them die penniless. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate boy wonder and his salary for which I do thank him from the heart and often, but it doesn't make me better than anyone else.

So, I really appreciate your suggestions. I wish woodinville was closer in. I really like boy wonder and don't want him to be in the car for two hours a day, so I'm going to take your advise and explore trossachs and Beaux Arts.

Again, thanks so much for the input.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I thought you were moving to Ft. Worth, Cowgrlmom. Cowtown.

What an absolutely wonderful post. You write well. I enjoyed reading it tremendously ("Sing it with me, people") bwwwaaaahahahahahahahaha!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Nope Seattle! Sea Town USA. Fort Worth is another lovely place. We have so many of them in this country we are blessed.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
If you ride horses, you need to check out Rock Meadow in Sammamish because it is an awesome equestrian center on the north end of Issaquah/south end of Sammamish. We live a few blocks from there in the Pine Lake area and I run by these gorgeous horse properties everyday. If you need new you can look at The Crossings for a neighborhood but the nice thing about older Sammamish is the big lots and gorgeous big trees. The schools are terrific, the parks in Sammamish are top-notch (Pine Lake Park and Ebright Creek are just terrific, shiny, brand-new parks) and it is beautiful with Lake Sammamish less than 2 miles down the hill and I-90 just about 3 miles away to get downtown. My husband works downtown as well and takes the bus from the Park N Ride less than a mile from our house. Trossachs is a really nice subdivision as well but there are no walkable amenities like in the Pine Lake area (Grocery store, gym, Starbucks just a mile from my house). But the view out there is beautiful and you could also find horse properties in Fall City which is nearby. Good luck!!

Here is my neighbor's cute house for sale to give you a feel for the bigger lots available. We back up to Pine Lake which is gorgeous!!

http://search.dolcevitaproperties.com/29141377

Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Link to Rock Meadow...

Thumbs Up Farm - Located at Rockmeadow Equestrian Center in Sammamish, WA (http://www.thumbsupfarm.com/facilities.htm - broken link)

Get a Google maps aerial of the area and you will see how close Pine Lake and Lake Sammamish are. Plus hiking in the Issaquah Alps is just minutes away, with a bike path connecting from Issaquah into the Burke Gilman right there at Lake Samm State Park and skiing is 40 minutes away if you decide to get the kiddos involved. Wonderful Issaquah School District. WE LOVE IT OUT HERE but close enough to the city if you want to head downtown for fun.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
Default Hi! Are you here yet?

Hi! Have you arrived in WA yet? I'm also an SC transplant!! Moved here recently!! Would love to say hi!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgrrlmom View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area