Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 PM

163 posts, read 418,924 times

Advertisements

you get to meet a lot of really interestingly smelly people on the bus! Of course, they can't help be smelly since they got no house to wash in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 05:05 PM

807 posts, read 2,251,214 times
The 10, which is usually an awesome route going from Capitol Hill to downtown, is now pure crap. Sometimes instead of coming by when it should, it comes by as an "Atlantic Base"-bound bus (sometimes 2 in a row) instead and passes you up. It is now faster to walk from Capitol Hill to Downtown than to rely on the 10 or 43 (which sometimes also doesnt come at all). Same goes for the other way around since the SCC kids delay and pack every up-hill route like sardines with head colds because they cant seem to walk uphill 6 blocks from Downtown.

Problem is, if you read the bus times at the stops, they include "Atlantic Base" buses and routes that don't go all the way to the end of the line as a normal available bus time.

I cannot WAIT until Link's Capitol Hill Station is complete. I think all anti-rapid transit advocated should be forced to ride Metro to work, forever.

Just had to vent that.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 PM

30 posts, read 108,932 times
I live in downtown and am a student with no car. I've been doing pretty good without having a car (i pay no insurance, gas, maintenance, parking etc.) so it's saved me a bunch of money! But on getting to and from places it hasn't been that bad. Most places I go to that are fare are either Tukwilla, UDistrict, Northgate or rarely Kirkland. But in and around DT i catch the bus to the sub areas like Queen Anne, China Town, Capitol Hill, Ballard and Fremont. So it's actually quite nice, and most times with a transfer i can get to and fro for only about $2 which is reasonably good considering what i would pay with a car. So i really like the bus system and it's awesome! That's coming from someone who lives in the heart of the city and don't know where you would be exactly. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM

318 posts, read 946,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel_loves_jesus View Post
I live in downtown and am a student with no car. I've been doing pretty good without having a car (i pay no insurance, gas, maintenance, parking etc.) so it's saved me a bunch of money! But on getting to and from places it hasn't been that bad. Most places I go to that are fare are either Tukwilla, UDistrict, Northgate or rarely Kirkland. But in and around DT i catch the bus to the sub areas like Queen Anne, China Town, Capitol Hill, Ballard and Fremont. So it's actually quite nice, and most times with a transfer i can get to and fro for only about $2 which is reasonably good considering what i would pay with a car. So i really like the bus system and it's awesome! That's coming from someone who lives in the heart of the city and don't know where you would be exactly. Good luck!
If you don't already have an ORCA card, you should get one now.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM

807 posts, read 2,251,214 times
I have a FlexPass for this year thru my company. Are FP's being phased out entirely next year? An ORCA would be really cool to have.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,578,714 times
The thing that sucks with ORCA is that you no longer get unlimited rides.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM

98 posts, read 441,051 times
I think its getting better and I agree with the Orca pass. I think being downtown/Queen Ann/belltown/capitol hill or south lake union area you are in good shape to not need a car. The flex car is a good backup strategy. You can now take the light rail to the airport from Westlake. Metro bus is pretty consistent. Seattle is pretty walkable also except in the dead of winter. My assistant who lives two miles away on Capitol hill from my office in lower Queen anne could easily take the bus but for exercise walks and never has problem.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
What do you mean? The fare structure doesn't change. Passes don't change. They're all just being loaded onto ORCA. If you normally use a PugetPass, then that PugetPass will simply become electronic and paid through the ORCA.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 AM

121 posts, read 336,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I think you can get that via ORCA, but I'm not sure. I get my pass thru my work, and it's unlimited usage, renewed each year (replacement for the Puget Pass). I would call Metro and ask about getting the Puget Pass replacement for ORCA.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under The Clouds View Post
I think you can get that via ORCA, but I'm not sure. I get my pass thru my work, and it's unlimited usage, renewed each year (replacement for the Puget Pass). I would call Metro and ask about getting the Puget Pass replacement for ORCA.
You're right. What essentially has happened is that the PugetPass has gone electronic. Works the same way. If you have a $2.50 PugetPass, you'll pay $90 each month, and you can use it as many times as you'd like.

Flexpasses are in a bit of a grey area. I'd ask your employer about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area