Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times

Advertisements

I came on this board a couple years ago to start asking questions. Moved in Jan 08. Love it here. Sometimes some things get on my nerves, like drivers who sit through an entire green light and you're maybe 8 cars back and NOBODY closer to you honks... but overall, I love it. The weather is as-advertised, cool and rainy right now, absolutely stunning from June or July through mid-October... the mountains are amazing... the water is great... the people are interesting... love being here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
Now is about the time the newbies start noticing all the animals pairing up...

Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
I've been here since 2006 and am loving it. I plan on settling here and raising a family with my wife, who also loves it here. Granted I'm not a newbie but at one point I was, and in some ways still am.

Traffic? Occassionally mind boggling but not too bad, I was smart enough to have reverse commutes. Not everyone can have one, since there really is no reverse commute going into the city.

Weather? HAH! Beats being 15 below deg F and blizzard conditions, and STILL have to go to work. Anyone who complains about a little sprinkle here and there is a wuss, plain and simple. Now a real gripe is how people can't handle 2 inches of snow, but part of that is the city's fault too. Steel grey skies are also a wonder for my skin, which is sensitive to sunlight.

Seriously, anyone who is complaining about the awesome city and in general great and eclectic city residents is either living under a rock or is putting too much emphasis on the weather.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:10 AM

17 posts, read 59,651 times
I moved here in July (in the middle of that heat wave) and I'm LOVING it. Actually, the funny thing is that I was worried about the winter, but it's only in the past few weeks, when it's been all cold and wet, that I have really started to feel at home here. So far, this is nothing compared to Boston or Minnesota Novembers, although I guess we'll see how I feel in February.

My favorite thing is how the sun will come out for 20 minutes and everything looks all dewy and glowing and magnificent. I love seeing the Olympics peek out of the clouds, all covered with snow now. I don't mind the gray - it's kind of cozy. The only problem is that it makes me sleepy, but I guess that explains the laid-back vibe here AND the high coffee consumption.

I have found a bit of culture shock moving here from the Northeast. While I'm generally viewed as being pleasant and "nice" there, here my attitude has occasionally come across as brusque or even rude. I've occasionally been really surprised to have people react negatively to something I said which I thought was totally polite and non-confrontational. But hey, it's good to learn how to work with people who have different styles.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 AM

68 posts, read 192,855 times
i dont know why anyone would want to live downtown. with all those old buildings and "high rises" when an earthquake happens.... "bad"

Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 PM

228 posts, read 687,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emopoops View Post
i dont know why anyone would want to live downtown. with all those old buildings and "high rises" when an earthquake happens.... "bad"
Maybe for the "killer" view?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 AM

88 posts, read 234,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I've been here a year and I'm happy as a clam. Weather, traffic, food: better than expected.

Don't like these November wind storms. Looking forward to a more gentle drizzle later in the winter.

Just curious, but did you find Novembers more appealing elsewhere than in Seattle? It's been my experience that Seattle enjoys a mild November -- you may be thinking of that one windstorm that happened during a December three years ago. Although, I find the sound of the wind soothing, so it doesn't bother me personally; and power outages are just an opportunity to put organic beeswax candles to use (and help save the planet by consuming less electricity!). Also (unsolicited opinion), I like that we get a break whenever it snows. It's nice to not feel obligated to drive anywhere whenever we get a visit from the venerable Mr./Ms. (dare I say that the seasons are as Tiresias? I suppose that is the most correct) Winter.

Last edited by Vells; 11-14-2009 at 01:47 AM..

Old 11-14-2009, 10:33 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
I've been here 2 1/2 years, and there are lots of great things about living here: Healthcare is amazing; October has been beautiful the last 3 years, very much a "fall" for this season-deprived CA girl; awesome birth to 3 program; no state income tax; and lots of tech job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: