Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 AM

165 posts, read 372,109 times

Advertisements

Thanks BellevueGuy,

You guys have been so nice to me. I really appreciate it.

I know I'm going to need a car. I own a car, I just never use it in Chicago. That's one good thing about Chicago is the public transportation is really good. I am going to miss it.

But I am looking forward to finding a new home, putting down some roots, meeting a nice girl, and starting a family. I don't ask for too much do I?

Thanks again you all have been wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 10:54 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times
I just wanted to say good luck. The great thing about being young and single, is that you can make major moves with little repercussions. When I was in my 20s I moved around a lot (across the country and back, up and down the state of CA). The great thing was if some place didn't work out, it was no big deal to try some place new (I was lucky and had a career where employers were eager to woo me with moving costs, and such), but even without those perks, I wouldn't have been "stuck" any where.

Make the move! If you find Seattle isn't the place for you, you're in a good position to explore the west coast to see if some place else is a better fit.

V. =)

Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
I lived here for 30 years, I joined the Navy to escape here,and they actually stationed me at Whidbey Island WA back in the early 90s. I left here finally in 2006 to live in AZ. I had a chance to move back here for a very good paying job, and I was slightly homesick anyway. I have to tell you, it took me just 5 weeks of this overcast crap, after the beautiful summer. Im getting ready to move back to AZ. Theres no place quite as depressing as this for alot of us. I never noticed the overcast, but moving to the most sunniest place in the USA makes you notice when the sun disapears. As far as the rain in Florida, a place Im familiar with, since I went to boot camp there: A frog can jump into boiling water, and then he jumps out, however, if you have a frog in a cool pan of water, and turn on the frog will slowy boil to death (our science teacher told us that, sick bastard probably tried it). Another wards, the awesome thunder storms you have in the South are fun to watch, and quite interesting, the rain here just goes on and on and on. When your rain is done, out pops the sun, our sun wont be seen for days, if it gets seen at all.

Washington State has the Most serial Killers of any state in the union. My theory is the lack of sunshine here....as crazy as that sounds.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:12 AM

88 posts, read 234,576 times
Outside of reading some things (to my surprise) online, I have yet to hear anyone say they regret their move to Seattle.

On the other hand, I have known a few people who have quietly moved away from Seattle without mentioning anything negative about it. Unfortunately, I think the usual situation had to do with inability to find affordable housing (or a house that they could accept within their price range). Some instances were possibly contract based employment.

Ironically, one person I know, who only stayed in Seattle for about a year was at first very "boosterish" and vocal about how happy they were to have moved here and how much they disliked where they lived before (which happened to be Denver, although I've found Denver pleasant myself; not insinuating anything bad about it here).

edited/added: The weather in winter can affect some people very negatively -- even someone who otherwise likes the area. There is something called "Seasonal Affective Disorder" where the lack of sunlight is particularly depressing to people with that condition. Even some people who don't technically have "S.A.D." can't endure the fall/winter seasons here. That is another reason some people move away from Western WA. Medically, lack of sunlight can cause vitamin D deficiencies in some people, causing it to be detrimental to their health (so they move for those medical reasons).

If someone were to ask me to call out the potential downside to the Seattle area, the weather in winter is what I'd say is probably the most important one to consider.

Last edited by Vells; 11-15-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 AM

It's the same in Chicago when the winter gets bad (after the holidays usually). Lots of overcast days. It probably wouldn't bother me too much if I wasn't up to my knees in snow, the wind wasn't blowing 60mph, and the wind chill wasn't 20 below zero

Old 11-15-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I just wanted to say good luck....
Thanks! You sound like the adventurous type

This will be a big move for me so I hope I get it right!

These are cities that I am doing research on:

1. Seattle, Washington
2. San Diego, California
3. San Francisco, California (Despite what my friends have to say)
4. Vancouver, BC

Last edited by Dis99; 11-15-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis99 View Post

1. Seattle, Washington
2. San Diego, California
4. Vancouver, BC
I've lived in 3 of the 4 (well, just outside of San Francisco, but spent practically every weekend in the city). Most recently I was in San Diego for 4 years. If you have any questions about any of the areas, feel free to DM me.

V. =)

Old 11-15-2009, 06:13 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,106 times
Quote:
But I am looking forward to finding a new home, putting down some roots, meeting a nice girl, and starting a family. I don't ask for too much do I?
Seattle would absolutely be a good fit for you, Dis99. I arrived from the San Francisco Bay Area 2.5 years ago and Seattle has been very good to me. In the last two years I've got a good job, and bought a condo, and met the girl of my dreams. My girl and I have been living together for over a year and we love it.

I would discourage San Francisco. Your friends who are living there are right - the place is a pipe dream. I know from experience, I spent pretty much all of my 20's living there. Dating is terrible there for guys. Single guys outnumber single girls by a huge margin. Also the cost of living is insane! I know alot of people who are seriously struggling in SF, people in their 30s and 40s with no kids and good careers, still living with roommates.

Don't hesitate to move to Seattle. It will probably be one of the best decisions you make.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I'm originally from Chicago, and I will say what I do like and don't like:

I like:
the scenery (mountains especially!)
awesome coffee
less racist mentality (most Chicagoans will deny they are racist, but down there somewhere you can see it in their attitudes)
the summers, and in general, a more laid back climate
the seafood, OMG
more interesting press (Red Eye has nothing on the Stranger)
where mass transportation exists, it is clean and generally reliable

I dislike:
-Traffic. At some point in the 1960s people stopped planning for demand and we are living with the consequences today. And people here are too laid back driving (read: going 55 in the fast lane, lined up with others going 55 in the other lanes)
-The condition of the highways. Most highways were made in the 60s, and most haven't had a makeover yet (read: ruts in the road). This is getting better and in the burbs it is much nicer, but there are some areas where it is brutal to drive down.
-Lack of good Chicago style pizza. There are some places with good pizza, of course, but nowhere in the nation does Chicago style pizza like Chicago (... maybe for good reason lol)
-The sheer inability for the politicians to do ANYTHING conclusive. Want something built? It will take 20 years and then they will discover a swamp flea that is endangered and then it will take a tripling of the budget and 10 MORE years of environmental studies to ensure that yes indeed the world won't come to an end if said swamp flea were relocated elsewhere, and even then, only after MASSIVE concessions that make the whole project worthless. For example, the Alaskan Way viaduct was damaged in a quake about 8 years ago. Engineers and WADOT has repeatedly said it needs to be replaced, lest more damage will be done. So what does Seattle do? Bring it to a referendum with three choices, an underground tunnel or a surface street. What do Seattle voters do? REJECT BOTH! STUPID!!! In Chicago, it's the other end of the spectrum: Daley wants something done, it'll get done. Late and overbudget, but done.
You never climbed Mt Chicago (aka The Sears Tower)? Sure Chicago has mountains! Man made ones! BTW you buy Seattle coffee anywhere now. It is called "Seattle's Best" and "Starbucks"

Old 11-15-2009, 07:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:

1. Seattle, Washington
2. San Diego, California
4. Vancouver, BC
I would choose in this order 3, 2, 1, 4. Number 4 requires lots of politics. You can't just "move" to Canada. You sort of have to ask them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area